Why Do I Keep Miniature Horses????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsfizz

Reaction score
We've often had- "How did you get into...." threads but this is a little different- it came off Irishmini thread about "making money" (which I am sure she knows you don't as she has big horses!!)

So- Why??

Love, obviously.

Therapy, often.

I'll start.

I have bred horses almost all my life, when I could no longer ride (degenerative disease) I decided not to stay in Arabs as I could not honestly think how I would be happy just looking at them, and I would not be able to back and train the youngsters- anyway, I was looking at possibly ending up in a 'chair so I need to be a bit sensible.

I wanted a breed I could manage and still use all the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.

There were no Miniature Horses here, I already had some Shetlands so I started out to breed them.

That was over twenty years ago.

So why do I stay in them??

Need something to use up all that money and of course, nowadays I would not get out of bed some days if I did not have to.

And I love showing them, and just loving them.

I do NOT like being hiked around by stroppy foals, as I was tonight- but then think how much worse that would have been if it had been an Arab foal.

So I shall stay with my babies, I think.

default_yes.gif
:

Next.......

Why do I keep Miniature Horses??? I love horses. I like for my children to know the joy of nature and the responsibility of caring for a living animal. It teaches responsibility that I think everyone should have before they have children. Problems I have had with my back do not make riding a pleasant experience. Minis cost far less to keep than big horses. Minis are easier to handle than big horses.

Am I making any money off of them??? Not yet, but they have saved me a considerable amount on taxes. Most of my travel is now farm related. Of course, at some point, Uncle Sam is going to want to see some profit in order for me to keep my farm status. So, do I plan to make any money off of them? ABSOLUTELY, at some point, and not a bit ashamed of it!

sounds like we all have the same reasons for loving miniatures. most of us seem to start with the larger breeds and move down for one reason or another.

my reason was having three kids and not being able anymore to keep up with the demands of keeping the larger horses..... but on the money thread, i did pay for my three minis with the money i got from the sale of a thoroughbred mare.....he he.

just off on another tangent a bit, but another point is, and maybe some of you women feel the same..i lost my nerve terribly with he big horses after having kids and found it very difficult to deal with them without problems, whereas the littlies don't scare me at all.........

Horses are the only creatures on earth that don't judge me.

I love the satisfaction I get from sitting in the field on a nice day and letting Tango attack me with kisses. I have the strongest bond with him, as you can see his face light up when I come out to "play". He enjoys our time spent together, whether its him giving kisses, me giving butt scratches, or just sitting there not doing a darn thing.

I love the pleasure that comes from working with Chip, who is the ultimate athlete, and watching his muscles ripple as he does what makes him happiest. When he follows me around the field, just because he wants to be close to "his mom". When I can bend down and kiss his soft muzzle and he doesn't object.

I love the trust that is building between Rosa and myself. When she runs a plays in the paddock just because she can. The fact that she enjoys being outside almost all day instead of standing in a stall for most of it. How her soft brown eyes melt when I sit in the middle of the field (of course Tango won't let her too close to "HIS MOM"), so she sneaks up when its safe to grap a few pats and quickly scurries away.
default_wub.png
:

Because horses make everything else in the world so unimportant and meaningly.

That's why I keep Miniature Horses, plain and simple.

Erin

Another great thread! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Back when I was newly married, with one baby and another on the way, horses were not able to be a part of my life and it was one of the most depressing times in my life. I loved and rode horses from the age of 5... wanted a horse desperately and did not own my first until I was 18. Of course, life got in the way... I got married, had a baby, wanted a house of my own and boarding a horse was not an option... my first, beloved horse was sold. :no:

I moved far from my home and family and gave birth to my second son and went through a horrible depression - I was almost suicidal. Then I had to move in with my in-laws and things went from ugly to horrible to worse. :no:

My mother-in-law kindly introduced me to a woman who had minis who introduced me to Harriett Rubins, who I worked for, for a year. I purchased Mercy through her...and the rest is history. Minis were less expensive than large horses and so much fun to show and do service work with.
default_yes.gif
: For me, going to the local riding stable for a lesson was not going to cut it... I had to have someone in my life who was "mine" who wanted to be bonded to me. It took 3 minis before I bonded with Mercy.

I don't make money at what I do - more often I am in the red since $99.9% of what I do is volunteer and we are not funded by outside sources but when we do a nursing home or school or civic event and I see the smiles that Mercy inspires, I know I am the luckiest person in the world.

I am very proud to announce that Mercy, along with the horses who played "Shadowfax", "Seabiscuit" and the top earning pacer will be the Celebrity Horses at the MA Equine Affaire this year. :bgrin If you are in attendance, look for the "fat black and white mare that jumps, answers questions, gives kisses and shakes hands" and don't be afraid to say Hello to her shy redheaded owner - normally I am very shy but Mercy has taught me a few things, too! :bgrin

Freedom and Independence are my other minis... I delivered Freedom when she was being birthed in a bad position and I managed to be lucky enough to get her out alive and her mom went on to be a successful broodmare and Freedom has a few reserve halter championships under her belt. :aktion033:

Indy and I go back further - Ben showed her as a weanling and yearling while she was owned by another farm, who was kind enough to allow me to purchase her. Ben has outgrown showing but he loves "his" Indy and was devastated when we lost her foal in 2005.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

You can then add Finisterre, the 3 year old PMU who is my buddy and Intrepid, the Modern Shetland I dreamed of owning and her filly, Nefertiti, who is the granddaughter of a Modern Shetland I have admired for a while...I am blessed!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

My minis (and all my horses) are family. :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Making money? If I make a little, it is the gravy. I don't count on it as I count my blessings in other ways. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: I am not rich in finances but rich in knowing when I have been blessed.

Denise

Silversong Farm

[SIZE=10pt]Great thread. OK - here goes...[/SIZE]

They are so darn cute.

They make me feel like a "biggy'' - I am only 5' 2".

I love being able to enter them in parades - walk them along side the big boys and have all the crowd rush out with their little ones for a quick pat. ( When you have a little horse along side a full sized - WHO CARES ABOUT THE BIGGY'S! )

I love being able to have more of the littles as compared to the biggy's - they cost less all around.

I can trim my own hooves! ( Sure - can do that with the biggy's - but be careful...)

I love to just sit and watch them in my back yard.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY MINI'S!

Lori

wow!!!

this forum is just fantastic....... many of you have described exactly how i feel...... this is a bit personal, but some of the others have made me feel like telling you this...... since having my last child i have suffered from terrible depression ( medicated and everything),the only thing that seems to have brought me out of myself a bit,,, and enjoying life again, are my little horses..

i have not had them long.. only a few months, but they have made me feel like " living " again..

i still have my day to day problems, but they don't seem as bad when i pop my head out the window and hear three little winnies and see those gorgeous little people who are pleased to see just me!!!!!!!!!

i thought i was going mad to be so exited by my little friends when nothing else seems to do it for me..... but now i know there are others who feel like that!!! i am not alone

steph :bgrin

Steph, you will find many in your field, if not in your shoes (everyone is different
default_smile.png
)

The one thing to remember is - take each day as it comes, tomorrow is another day.

default_cheekkiss.gif
:

I live, eat, sleep minis! I swear, I spend so much time with mine and when I'm not with mine, they are not ever far from my thoughts and my day dreams are virtually all about minis. They cheer me up when I'm feeling blue and they give me a sense of inner calmness like nothing else can. They just help me to feel so centered and so at ease.

Horses are the only creatures on earth that don't judge me.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement! In a world where you are being judged all the time, its wonderful to be free of that for a while.

I keep Minis because they are my source or laughter and relaxation. I can go sit out there with them, and they come up, looking for love/kisses..or Blue will fall asleep with his head in my lap as I sing softly to him. Blue and I have a very strong bond, and as MooreAcres said, his face 'lights up' when he sees me.

Its hard to describe, but I feel loved and beautiful when I am with them. Even when I am covering in mud..
default_yes.gif
:

I am loved and made to feel beautiful by many people, great friends, and a wonderful family...But it is a whole different story when I am out with those horses. Like I said, it is hard to describe.

Some days, when I am sad or angry, or whatever, I look over at Blue and he looks back at me, and I feel like his crystal blue eyes are looking right through me, and straight at the problem. This causes me to want to figure out what is bothering me. Another hard feeling to describe...

Blue and Faith have taught me many things. The most important thing Faith has taught me, is that you have to take things slow, and just enjoy life while you can. With her having cleft palate, she may not live to be old, but she sure enjoys life now!

Simply, I love them. Thats why I keep them.

I grew up with a horse and after I got married, I had to put that part of my life on hold. After 2 kids and a divorce, I ran out and bought another horse. For 6 years I had a blast, then met my current husband who lost his childhood sweetheart to seizures. I had 2 pretty nasty accidents within 6 months of eachother. After the last, my husband said it was either my horse or him. He could not bear to loose another wife. I compromised and asked if I sold my big horse, could I have a mini. Well, we came back with 2! He loves them as much as I do and only for the occasional yearning to climb on their backs, I'm so content to have them in our lives. I couldn't imagine my life without them. They can make a bad day spectacular.

default_thumbup.gif
: [SIZE=18pt]YES!!!!!!![/SIZE]
default_thumbup.gif
:

Exactly So!!!!!!!! I swear this happens to me too!!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Nancy
default_wink.png
:

This is copied from a past post I made. It fits here:

[SIZE=14pt]This is the only place I can explain this.[/SIZE]

I'm positive that when I walk into the barn, or watch my horses in the pasture, I...

I....

please don't think I'm nuts....

[SIZE=18pt]I feel my heart swell. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I guess it's similar to what happened to the Grinch at the end of the show.[/SIZE]

You all know exactly what I'm feeling, right?

It is completely obvious!

First off, they are there for me everyday. I always have something to look forward to and escape to.

Secondly, they keep me busy and free from peer pressure.

They are fun to train.

And I love competing with them, I enjoy seeing my accomplishments with them.

This is copied from a past post I made. It fits here:

[SIZE=14pt]This is the only place I can explain this.[/SIZE]

I'm positive that when I walk into the barn, or watch my horses in the pasture, I...

I....

please don't think I'm nuts....

[SIZE=18pt]I feel my heart swell. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I guess it's similar to what happened to the Grinch at the end of the show.[/SIZE]

You all know exactly what I'm feeling, right?

Yep, especially when they call for you....
default_wub.png
:

I have had big horses before i got my two darlings and NO big horse i ever had will ever compare to these guys. There is just something very special about these little guys. I love all horses but the minis are just the best they have so much character, the ability to make you laugh your butt of for ages, they give pretty darn good cuddles, and when I open that barn door in the morning...those two chubby faces peeking over the door with sparkles in thier eyes does just that - makes my heart swell.

Helen.

Edited to add.... Jill you eat minis???? LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do I have miniature horses?

Simple ... I LOVE them!!!!!
default_wub.png
:

BethC

Well I get asked this constantly and I simply reply "I love them!"

I have such a crazy, busy life and I get hardly any free time to spend with my minis(as of late), which is awfully frustrating! Lately, I have wondered if I shouldn't just give them all up, which according to many friends and family would be the sensible thing to do!

Then I got 2 hours to myself the other day and I sat out with my minis and I realised that the pleasure they bring to my life is real and I am soooooooo fortunate to be able to have such simple pleasure.

I don't ride them, show them, train them.......I just feed them and love them and in return they give me peace and kindness and a quietness that I rarely get to enjoy these days!

I think for me, my horses keep me focused on what is really important to me and what makes me who I am! They also keep all my childhood memories of my ponies, and riding every chance I got, alive and that is a good thing!

I have to say I get the same pleasure from my dogs, who wait for me patiently in all weather outside the barn for however long it takes me!

Simply put My horses give me a deep sense of joy every single day!

I know so many people who rarely feel such joy, kind of sad really.

Gosh what would we do without them
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Great thread jane
default_wink.png
:

just off on another tangent a bit, but another point is, and maybe some of you women feel the same..i lost my nerve terribly with he big horses after having kids and found it very difficult to deal with them without problems, whereas the littlies don't scare me at all.........

...and I thought I was the only one who lost their nerve! My back can't take another mishap and it's not enjoyable when all you think of when you ride is "what could happen!" I love my boys and it gives me the horse fix I need and my husband rides the Quarter horse. That works fine for me!

And, I have to add that the feeling that I get when a stallion goes Grand and I , ME watched by the light of the battery lantern as he slipped into my arms, wet, cold and wondering what on earth was going on.

I helped him stand, I helped him find breakfast, I sat and watched him as he stumbled around followed by his anxious Mama.

I was the first thing he saw, and now he is standing there, his own foals already running in my field at home, taking the Grand.

It's like watching a child graduate.!!!

I have had horse my inter life at a year old my mom would place us on the ponies backs while she cleaned the barn. As I was raised the horses were my best friends. :aktion033: As a grown person I released that they had taught me about responsibilities :new_shocked: . I wanted my child to have some of the same relationships that I had had
default_yes.gif
: .

I never had to worry about the mini offering any bad advice. Or what she was doing because we were always doing horse stuff. We are three generations of horse loving people. Yes I have had years were I have broken even :bgrin . I hope that like my mom my horses can help supplement my income in my retirement years :lol: . But most of all I hope that when I have grandchildren I can share my love of the horse yet another generation
default_wub.png
: . I already know that the child will love animals because this has not missed a generation yet.

Toy Horse

Back