Why did gelding kill my Jack?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmdude

Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else? I think he had a bad reaction to the sedative. He trembled during and after the procedure. it took him a long time ( 2 hours) to "recover" and get back on his feet. He still trembled 14 hours later. He was gelded at 10:30 am. Didn't get on his feet until 1 pm. this is even with a reversel drug. I checked on him at 2 am before i went to bed. He seems ok, just sluggish and still trembling. I found him dead When I got up this morning. I checked his stitches to see if he had a hernia. They were still intact and no buldge. So I think is was a reaction to the drugs. I am very, very sad about this. I feel so guilty for having this done to him. Should I inform the vet? Is he liable at all? I have had this vet out before and he castrated my goats and sheep with no ill effects. So I trusted him to do the donkey.

I'm so sorry for your loss and "YES" I would call the vet.
sad2.gif

My vet stayes till my guys are up and moveing and recovered.
wacko.gif

I am sorry for your lose, wow how terrible... I do know that any gelding procedure can do risky I know when I had an Arabian colt gelded that the accident insurance I had on him was temporarily suspended for 48 hours after the gelding procedure...And operation on an animal is a risk...But wow to be found like that the next day gone uff da...I would sure talk to your vet and see what he has to say about this...I do know donkeys are more difficult to geld then horses they have tougher skin and bleed way more....... I talked to my vet about this and he was aware of it but STILL was surprised at the amount that he did bleed and did not make the opening as large as he really wanted to do...But everythjing went fine..

Just something to take under consideration I guess, but this does not bring your guy back...But don't take it to heart so much you did what would be better for your pony becuase of the more aggressiveness the jack showed.....And they can be quite dangerous at times to be around so I have heard....I kept mine a jack untill he was 6 never used him but had planned on it, then I sold my mini mares so I still kept him whole, untill up to the time I was going to sell him, then I had him (cut)... Now I have a 2 yr. old mini jack but no other critters but i think I will get him taken care of to make a better companion and pet.

My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of despair...

ABSOLUTELY tell your vet!! My vet, also, does not leave until he feels the animal has made a good recovery. He'll even call back to be sure later.....some animals just can't adjust, most do fine.

I've had goats that died from anesthesia. They are not tolerant of such and rarely did I ever let them use it on them.

I do know that donkeys react to drugs differently than horses. Some drugs don't work at all, others have very ill effects. My vet doesn't stitch up after gelding. He prefers keeping the wound open so it can drain on it's own.

I would definitely contact your vet. Not much he can do for your boy but it may help him in the future.

Sorry you lost your boy though.
sad.gif

How horrible! You must be so upset. I would talk to your vet, I'm surprised that the vet left before your donk was up and doing okay.

Yes I would tell the vet also. What caught my attention was that he stiched him up?????? Also our horses are always up and moveing before the vet leaves, they are all up with in 10 mins after the procedure.

I would definately call the vet! In fact I would have called him later in the day. They should be up and recovering in minutes after the surgery.

So sorry about your little fella.

B

It is after 3 am. I am madder than heck and can't eat or sleep. I found out tonight from another equine person that they too have had problems with this same vet. He came out to geld her horse and he gave him the wrong dosage of the wrong sedative. She was wise enough to call in another vet who rushed in, took control and corrected things. The vet in question is excellent with other livestock but is clueless with equine. Why would a vet who doesn't understand the needs of equines, practice and perform equine procedures? I had discussed equines with him months ago and was assurred he knew what he was doing. If he was inexperianced or unsure, he should have voiced it at one time or another. I put my faith in him and it cost me my boy's life plus the vet bill and the value of the Jack. Should I get an attorney? Who do I file a greivence with? This is a clear cut case of malpractice. I am just sick about this. Today I had to lay him to rest instead of feeding him, petting him, and loving him. I have no real friends or family. I live for my animals. They motivate me to get out of bed everyday and face the world. They rely on me to live as much as I rely on them for a purpose in life. I used bad judgement in choosing what to do. I feel so guilty and angry at the same time. I'm so tired and not sure what actions to take. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.Thank you all for your kind words and understanding. Nonanimal people just don't get it.

Oh you poor dear! How terrible! Hugs!

First, please don't blame yourself. You took reasonable measures to ensure your jack's safety. You talked with the vet and you thought you had all the answers. No blame to be placed on you.

Like the others stated, this vet should never have left until the horse was recovered, ESPECIALLY since he wasn't reacting well even with the reversal drug! Further, your vet should have called you back to verify how your baby was doing since it was not a smooth procedure.

I would most definately call your vet and let him know what happened. Further, I would at the minimum call your State Vet and file a complaint about this. At least then there is a record that you lost your Jack because of how this was handled.

You may also wish to contact an attorney that practices equine law and see what recourse you may have against him.

Again, don't blame yourself. It was your Jack's time, and nothing you would have done would have prevented the loss.... I always say that "When your time is up, it is up. Doesn't matter if you are crossing the road, or laying in bed. Nothing one can do will stop the inevitable." Same is true for animals. I really believe that.

Many warm wishes and hugs to you.

Farmdude...I am so sorry about what happened. Linda (my vet from Crivitz) always stays out till the horses are up and everything seems to be Ok. I would definitely get in touch with your vet and let him know what happened! I am going to pm you. You definitely need to call Madison about this and file a complaint. Corinne

I called the Pulaski Vet clinic to report the donkey's death. Dr. Burno was out on a call. I reported it to the receptionist. She was very nice and gave her sympathy. I did not get a follow up call from the Vet, Dr. Burno of the (Pulaski Wi.) Vet clinic. I would like to file a complaint. How do I go about doing this? any info on that would be appreciate it. Thank you all for your support.

Here is are some links that I found when I did a search on "filing a veterinary complaint" and using www.dogpile.com as the search engine... There were lots of sites that looked like they could help, but this link is what I think you really are looking for as it tells you how to file a complaint http://www.vetabusenetwork.com/Faqsnew.htm#how and in that url is a link to the state boards that license vets. Here is that link to the state board contact info: http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/vetboard.htm

Hope this help to get you started. Please do follow through with logging a complaint. After all, gelding is a common procedure, and while it is not a risky thing to do, you should not have been overlooked like you are from this vet.
nono.gif
shutup.gif
frusty.gif
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Please do not think this is common, or usual. In all the years I have been breeding (nearly all my life) I have NEVER even heard of an animal dieing, not first hand. We all know it is a possibility but I have never had it happen. I do know ' from the Minis, that the little ones need half the prescribed dosage for their weight, and my Vet too, stays until he is satisfied everything is OK and always leaves his mobile number for a direct call if I have any problems. (never have) At the very least I would be filing a complaint against this man. I would not be paying any bill, either.

farmdude, I am so sorry that you have lost your little jack. What an awful thing to happen!!

I have 2 - 5 month old jacks that both will need to be gelded, I am so worried about having this procedure done.

I feel this is definitely a clear cut case of malpractice.

Hugs to you and again, I'm so sorry that you lost your little man!!

Hi farmdude, I am going to pm you with some info. I am sure Dr. Paula does donkeys, and I know that the Gillett Vet clinic does too. Dr. Llinda dont really go down as far as your house, but I am sure in a emergency situation she would. I will send you the names of the vets up this way that I would not trust or use with horses or donkeys, in the meantime keep on Dr. Burno's butt about this! Corinne

I checked out the wedsite that was posted. Thank you. They suggested that before filing a complaint with the state, file a formal complaint with the party involved. I did call and inform the Vet, got no reply. I guess I was to nice. I'll call again tomorrow and clearly state how upset I am and that I want to be reimbursted for the vet bill ($105.) and the value of the donkey. Is that fair? what should I ask for the value of the donkey? He was a rescue. This isn't about money. I'd rather be out the money and have my Freddy. No one can bring him back. I feel they should pay as a principle. I think I should also file a complaint with the state. Go the whole nine yards. Am I being to bitter?

I would value the donkey at what he would have brought as a gelding. I would also add a fee for your mental anguish that you can, if you wish, tell them you will waive . You are not doing this to make money, we understand that, but you should be doing it for the sake of the next animal this person gelds.

HI Mark, rabbitsfizz is right...do this for the sake of the next donkey or horse he might try to geld. We all know how much you loved your Freddy, and what a great loss he is to you, but remember you did what you thought was best for him...and in his short life at least he got to know what "being a loved pet" was. He was one of the few lucky ones that did come to you thru a rescue and ended up in a caring home. Corinne

Latest posts

Back