WHY CAN'T MINI'S WEAR REAL HORSE SHOES???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a LOT of horses out there that are or were wearing Little Bit's *Magic Shoes*, as well.

They are corrective shoes that I started making years ago when my dwarf Mini, Little Bit, was walking on the side of his front hooves and on the bulbs of his heels in back due to tendon laxity.

I always recommend that my shoes be applied with Vette's Equi-Thane SuperFast or Adhere, either products are great, and are made especially for this purpose. Medial, lateral and toe extensions can also be made from these products.

The shoes are a non profit venture for me, but oh the rewards are so much more than any amount of money could buy me!
default_yes.gif
:

There are a LOT of horses out there that are or were wearing Little Bit's *Magic Shoes*, as well.

They are corrective shoes that I started making years ago when my dwarf Mini, Little Bit, was walking on the side of his front hooves and on the bulbs of his heels in back due to tendon laxity.

I always recommend that my shoes be applied with Vette's Equi-Thane SuperFast or Adhere, either products are great, and are made especially for this purpose. Medial, lateral and toe extensions can also be made from these products.

The shoes are a non profit venture for me, but oh the rewards are so much more than any amount of money could buy me!
default_yes.gif
:
Thanks for your reply. I have read many times about your wonderful shoes for mini's. You seem to be offering a very special service to those mini's and owners.

Keep up the great work, it must be very rewarding.

Sorry Linda, but I have to disagree. I've seen miniatures with light chains on their ankles - minimal weight - that have very high action until you take the chains off. It would take very little weight to increase action. I've been involved with AMHA since the beginning and I was told that the reason for no shoes was to prevent them from going the way of Shetlands with long toes and weighted shoes. You are absolutely right that most mini's don't have the conformation to stride like a Modern Shetland, but that doesn't mean it can be induced with artifical devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I AM a professional farrier. I DO know what I am talking about. My background is Morgans and Saddlebreds. Yes, you get higher action with a chain, its on the ankle, its a different response than weight on a foot. Put a bootie on your dog you'll see the same response. It takes quite a lot of weight to increase motion on ANY horse and that is a proven fact. I know I have seen how it works as I do gaited horses. Artifical aids [chains, etc] will increase motion while they are on but its not going to work when they are off. If a horse does not have the natural ability whatever you do to them is not going to help. A horse with natural ability with a skilled professional [or amateur] handler will always show better and have more people trying to figure out what they did to make the horse go that way, when in reality its just the combination of a good horse and good handler. As for being told it was the reason with AMHA< I also know for a fact that several people with shetlands wanted to change the shoeing rules on them because they "believed" a certain thing was fact when it was proven false. Oh and by the way one of your truly great saddlebreds Skywatch was shod with just a light plate and no foot, he was just a great moving horse. Linda B

Minis can wear shoes. I had a mini gelding, that had to be shod. He wore regular horseshoes for 5 years never once threw a shoe, and had no problems. I think alot depends upon the farrier and how good they are at shoeing, and if there is a definite NEED for a mini to be shod. In my case he definitely needed to be shod. Corinne
Where can I find horse shoes that size?

I didn't read all of this but the Amish do shoe their minis. They make the shoes and the kids usually nail them on. They would wear their hooves off if they didn't.

Latest posts

Back