WHY are people intentionally cruel??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Pics Added.

So I went to look at a pony the other day.

It was a trader's place, didn't know that but thought is was a possiblity.

He was just turning these horses over fast.

He bought them at a recent auction.

The pony was nice and a great buy.

She had some back recent kick wounds from being locked in a small, dark stall with a mean mule and 3 others, one a tiny stallion.

But my focus was not really on her. It was on the filly in the dark "room" with her.

I asked him to bring her out. He told me she was in rough shape.

SO SAD.

A pony filly, probably foaled last year, maybe 18 months-2 yrs?

Still has foal tail and mane.

The poor pathetic thing.

I asked him what he would sell her for and he said he would give me a good deal.

So she is here now. Her eyes were haunting, they were empty and confused.

She looked so hopeless.

A pathetic shadow of an animal.

She has not shedded out really, is rail thin, bones sticking out. The flies have done a number on her and she has bald areas.

BUT that can all be fixed.

It wasn't until I got her home that I really noticed more things.

She obviously was never weaned and is half heartedly trying to nurse the other mare. Almost seems like for comfort more than milk. She acts foallike around the mare, walking under her neck and leaning into her.

She looks so sad, like she has lost all her spirit.

He eyes are beyond sad they have given up.

She looks so bewildered and lost.

It is truly heartbreaking.

What I find incredible is I notice, a bridle path has been trimmed recently, so has the faethers on her fetlocks and her whiskers have been trimmed. Someone cleaned her up, or attempted to, to make a sale.

But they didn't bother to care for her or feed her.

I find this so disturbing, the only time she was shown positive attention was when her value may be affected.

Why does it feel so good and make me feel so fortunate to be able to give this sweet filly, a deep bed of shavings, a pile of hay, a handfull of grain, fresh water and a salt block.

Why does such a simple act of making her comfortable, possibly for the first time ever, feel so good.

I went out, or sneaked out, in the dark and saw her laying down in a soft bed of shavings and I felt truly happy. Not for me, I took less than 5 minutes of my day to give her the very basics.

But to know that she is comfortable and safe now.

WHY wouldn't everyone give her this very basic respect and give her what she needs to be comfortable??

I am truly sad for this girl, her face and eyes and depressed stance tell a tale of sadness and pain??

Lack of compassion is a horrible thing.

I am sorry for this longwinded post, I just had to write it down.

Sweet Ruby Girl. She came here last night and I hope to soon see a little light come back in her big, dark empty eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you and Little Ruby
default_wub.png

I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I brought my two boys home from the horse trader's "farm" after he bought them at an auction. They were not in bad a shape as your Ruby sounds, but the young pinto had a bridle path and his face shaved, but feet that looked like they had never been trimmed.

Thank you for giving her what she deserves. Looking forward to some pictures!

That was a haunting post. I can almost see her from your description. It feels good, doesn't it, to know that you've helped a needy living creature. She's young and it's possible that there's never been a light in her eyes....but I'll bet there will be now. Within a few days you'll see her coming around. Be proud of yourself and please give Ruby a scratch from me.

I have had to stop going to look. It breaks my heart to see what some people do or should I say don't do for their animals. It is hard to even imagine how these peoples minds work, again should I say don't work. I am so glad you have Ruby now and I am sure she is very glad to have you
default_wub.png

She is very lucky you found her. The haunted look will go away in time and within a year no one will ever know what she went through when looking at her.

You have a very kind heart!

Your description breaks my heart. But with time and love, I predict you will begin to see a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

I can understand completely the happiness you are describing. It has nothing to do with you or making life more comfortable for you, yet it is the happiest, warmest, deepest feeling you have ever felt
default_yes.gif
I am so happy you were able to bring her home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading your post made my eyes well up. I am so pleased Ruby now has someone to love her and care for her. She is lucky that someone as kind as you found her before it was too late. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Bless your heart Fiona. You are one of God's kind hearts. Also you were destined to go rescue Ruby. God has also put me in many places at the right time to save one of his creatures that needed help. I am so glad you had a place for this little girl. I am sure that in no time with good food, loving care and your companionship this little lost girl will come around. Thank you.

God blesses the compassionate.

I'm so happy she found you. I hate what some people inflict on their animals. I'm sure with some time she will be a lot happier and when you look at her the past will eventually disappear. Please keep us updated and some pics would be nice if possible. It would be nice to see how far she is going to come to a happy girl.

Latest posts

Back