Whose mare has aborted because of the Phumabort shot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your mares aborted with the Phumabort-K shots?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alisha514

Reaction score
Just wanted to know who here has had mares abort after being given the pnumabort shot. For those that have had luck with it do you think that using the shots have prevented your mares from aborting? I really need help deciding if I should use it on my mare this time to prevent her from aborting again.

Alisha

Last edited by a moderator:
although we had 1 mare abort last year a month after her 9 mo shot I do not think it was related

I still give Rhino shots as I think I am better with them than without them, they are recommended strongly by my vet

I've personally vaccinated several hundred mares and not a single one has aborted due to the vaccine. I highly recommend all mares get vaccinated with either Pnumabort-K or the competitor's version. They now recommend them during months 3, 5, 7, and 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
We always vaccinate and have never had one abort due to it. In fact, we've only ever had one abortion since we've been breeding minis, and we had our first foal in 2003.

When I first started raising minis, my Vet recommended I not give the shots at 5, 7 and 9 months. Instead, I just vaccinate the mares once yearly, and it is always in the summer after they foal. I have been raising minis since '94 and so far have only had I think 3 mares abort late in their pregnancy, and I am certain it was not due to not giving the shots.

I have NEVER lost a foal when I have given the shots at 3,5,7,9 months. But I HAVE lost a foal due to confirmed Rhino when I did not give the shots. I will always give the shots at 3,5,7,9 months. If you wait to start at 5 months, it may already be too late.

Peggy

My mares (well, 2 of the 3) had a strong reaction to the Pnuemabort vaccine at 7 months. Were just fine with the 5 month and Ruby was just fine with all three last year, but I didn't want to put them through that again. So I've switched to the Prodigy. I've talked to people who have also had mares get reactions to the Pnuemabort, but not to the Prodigy. I DO feel it is IMPORTANT for them to have their vaccines
default_smile.png

Jessi

Last year I had one mare abort at 9 1/2 months that I had not given the pneumabort K shot. She was confirmed to have had rhino. I will never not give the shots to the mares again. My vet has now recommended that we switch to Prodigy as it has better coverage if the mare has been exposed to rhino. I am convinced that our preemie that was born alive this year in the middle of a rhino outbreak is completely due to his mom being vaccinated throughout her pregnancy. The mare even got mildly sick, but her baby was born alive and is perfectly healthy.

I have given Pneumabort shots for years with no problem, should say I have given Prodigy when I could find it but always one or the other. All of the vets I've talked to strongly recommend it - better they say than having an abortion storm if you should ever have a rhino outbreak. I have skipped the 9th month shot as I'm always a little wary of doing much of anything that close to foaling, but it's something I should probably do.

Jan

I'm a fairly new breeder. This is my 4th foal crop. I gave the pneumobort K faithfully the first year and had one mare abort the day after the shot. She was off her feed a few hours after the shot. Could have been a coincidence but I haven't given the shot since. Haven't had any abortions since either......knock on wood. It's really something you need to discuss with your vet.

Sandy, I have heard that same story here from other sources..

Too many similar stories to that, and with timing that makes it look like more than a coincindence.

In the end it is a personal choice, and not many will come foward and admit they don't, but as you see from the polls they are out there.

This is our first year giving rhino shots and all is well

The year before we had an abortion storm. I will never not give them again. It was teh most heartbreaking thing I have been through. I have one mare though that cannot have any vaccinations at all

I think you can skip them if you dont show or have horses moving in and out

Lost 4 foals after vaccinating... discuss the risk with your veterinarian.

We followed farm isolation once the mares reached 4 months of gestation - nobody in or off premises until the foals arrived and had better luck without the shots (Pneumabort K). The mares were confirmed in foal by ultrasound.

Denise

Silversong Farm

It does depend on you're risk factor/exposure to rhino. I don't give it as we have a closed herd, and we isolate/quarantine any new horses of 30 days.

Discuss the risks/benefits with your vet.

I guess my question to those who blame their abortions on the shots would have to be:

How do you know the shot was really to blame for the abortion? How do you know that the mare wouldn't have aborted anyway, even if you hadn't given her that vaccine?

People say that they have quit giving the vaccine & haven't had any increase in abortions. The thing is, you won't notice any increase in abortions if you don't give the shots....until the year when your mares actually get exposed to the virus and an abortion storm goes through your herd.

If you don't have the abortion form of rhino go through your herd, then the vaccine will do you no good. However, the year that rhino does hit your farm you will see a big increase in abortions--that is the year when you will realize the true value of the vaccine. If you've never experienced an abortion storm, then you just have no idea what it's like.

It hasn't happened to me, but I know people that have had it happen to them and I can assure you that after a year of losing 70-80% of their foals (and these are big herds, not just talking people that have lost 3 out of 4 foals) each and every one of those people have started giving the needles and each & every one of them say they will never again let their bred mares go unvaccinated.

We've always used Pneumabort-K and have nothing bad to say about it.

Ok I guess I need a little educating on what the shot actually is. I vaccinate my horses yearly for the 5 way, which includes Rhino, west nile, and strangles. If this pneumabort shot is only a vaccine for Rhino then what's the deal with the regular yearly shots? I don't understand. Please help!

Alisha

My experience is that we had 4 mares due to foal. I only had 3 Pneumbabort shots on hand. All 3 that got the shot aborted, within 48 hours. 4th horse that did not get the shot had a healthy foal.

That pretty much did it for us.

this is how it was explained to me. If your mare is already carrying the rhino virus and you give the rhino shot she will abort. But she would have aborted anyway. It just may have taken longer for her to abort.

I know when I have talked to big horse farms they will are adamant on giving rhino shots.

For us it was the right solution. I know it was a hard decision for us but we are really glad we did it.

I have also been told that show horses should get rhino shots every other month

Not Pnumaborts- the regular rhino vaccine. Also the flu vaccine - both are only good for 2-3 months. That's why we have to give Pnumaborts so many times during pregnancy, they are all related to each other (flu, rhino 1, 2, and 4)

Latest posts

Back