Who's ready for Thanksgiving???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Yes we are in pretty good spirits and getting ready. I am getting tomorrow off for baking and getting this old house cleaned up. My step son will be joining us and no telling which buddies of Dan will show up for a second round of dinner after they finish eating at their parent's houses so I'll be armed and ready for anyone who drops by. We have a 22.72 Butterball and almost all the food bought. I'm heading to Chattanooga on Wednesday am to the new Publix Grocery store down there for last minute grocery items and cheater food because they have a killer bakery and a deli that's out of this world. I will buy something sinful.
default_risa8.gif

Our Thanksgiving tradition is on Wednesday night, we do finger foods and orderves and Dan has been cleaning out the turkey ever since he was a little tiny thing. He just loves cleaning that thing for some unknown reason so that is what he's going to be doing while I make the stuffing.

Thankgiving morning we have this ritual where I make everyone come and watch the Macy's Day Parade with me while the turkey is cooking in the oven. Its the rule. My parents told me that is when the TRUE Santa Claus arrives in this hemisphere, the real deal, and I passed that on to my kids. At the end of the parade when I finally get to see "him" I get all choked up and my eyes get wet and I'll say things like "Doesn't he look wonderful this year?????" and "Just look at that beautiful outfit" and everyone has to agree with me or at least nod. This is usually followed by someone throwing a pillow at someone or someone getting smacked upside the head and everyone ends up telling me to dry it up....... But its SANTA!!!!!!!!

Ok so I'm an emotional holiday maniac type person, what can I say?
default_488.gif
default_488.gif
default_488.gif

After dinner I'll be doing dishes and next thing I know, everyone has dozed off right as I prepare the pie and coffee.
default_yes.gif

Then we will spend the weekend freezing while working on our Christmas light show. YAY!
default_aktion033.gif

And oh! I got the herd super clean and shinny and groomed to the nine's with show sheen and scrunchies too of course. I just hope they can stay that way for 5 minutes.
default_pray.gif

I love Thanksgiving!

Are you ready???

img60.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am almost ready! I am making fudge right now. But I am doing more buying of already baked goods this year. We are going to Mark's parents for our Thanksgiving chinese food dinner on Wednesday after I get off work.

THEN On Thanksgiving I will get up and start the brined turkey. Then make apple, banana,cherry and almond salad that I have been craving. And mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing,rolls, clam dip and chips, and maybe cheesecake too!

It is just Mark I, Hilary and Matthew. And that will be fun. Next year both my kids will be graduating, one from high school and one from college with her bachelors. So I am not sure where they will be next year. But it better be here! HeeHee!

"""""I'm heading to Chattanooga on Wednesday am to the new Publix Grocery store down there for last minute grocery items and cheater food because they have a killer bakery and a deli that's out of this world."""""

Marty,

What I would give to be able to shop at Publix again!!!!! I did work for them for 18 years, but that aside, they are the best grocery store!!! The bakery is to die for and every kind of cold cut in the world is at the deli....SIGH....I will admit it, I'm jealous....

I have not even started to buy for Thanksgiving yet, not enough time in the day anymore. Been busy with the son and his drama..Keeping an eye on Tina...My Dr. appointments.... Hanging lights and decorating the outside of the house, just not enough time....I will be glad when this year is over and we can start a fresh year! I have it slated tomorrow after work to go shopping, but first I have to make a stop at REO's. Dreamer has a little something for her....
default_wub.png
It will just be Art, Donnie, Mom, and sister for dinner..A quite evening, much needed quite evening.....Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.......Art and Theresa
default_saludando.gif

I'm almost ready. I have crystal to wash and the table to set. I only have 11 people this year, usually have about 25. My sister and all her family (husband,kids & grandchildren) come here after both of our parents have passed. But this year my niece has to host her in-laws and family. Her mother-in-law had surgery and can't cook.

I have the birds(2), we deep fry. All the veggies are bought and ready to prepare which I will start tomorrow with the twice baked potato casserole, I have to double the recipe because that's all the guys want to eat
default_rolleyes.gif
, that, the turkey and rolls! My in laws will bring the desserts.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Kathy

I didnt know Publix was that far North. I have one 3 miles from me a regular store and a huge store with a incredible deli and bakery about 7 miles from me. They just opened a Greenwise store in Tampa.

We go to Louisville KY every year to my sister-in- laws. It is my husbands family Thanksgiving/Christmas, since we dont see them at Christmas. Our kids love it that they get some Christmas early.. My Mother-in-law moved to KY with them after her stroke so this is her first year not living here in MO in 40 years!!

We have 15 of us all staying in the same house! I LOVE it!! We play cards and dominos, and visit and eat way too much!! I am way into this-my family is NOT, they are not traditional, I sometimes wonder where I came from ! So I really love doing this get-together with my hubbys family as it fills a need in me...

We have traditional turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, strawberry salad ( the one with the pretzel bottom) sweet potato casserole, yummy dinner rolls(love those)pecan and pumpkin pie--- so much food, we all are packed!!

Oh I am getting hungry just writing about it!!

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving Everyone!!

Missy
default_smile.png

I wish I lived a normal live like you all. I would love to be at home cooking for only 10 or 20 people NOT!! We own SouthernAccents catering company and have 9 events on Thursday. We do only corporate or large groups of 200 or more. This yr. we are doing mostly gated cummunities and mobile home parks and are doing dinner for about 1400 people total dinners then we have about 300 people ( 2 groups ) that we are just suppling the carved turkey and gravy...sort of drop off dinners where we are not actually there serving. To give you an idea that is cooking 183 turkeys, 190 pies...only apple pumpkin and we have a couple clients that wanted some mincemeat ( pies all get baked on Wednesday ) about 350lbs. of stuffing and I havent made it yet but we have about 20 gal.of whipping cream to make whip cream for the pies...Im not sure if it will be enough!! Luckily we do have a kitchen commisary that is huge to prep and stage all the jobs but every turkey and all the sides are cooked in mobile ovens right at the clients sites. The hardest part is packing each truck and not forgetting a single thing for any of the jobs...there is plenty of counting and recounting. When you think of just 1 item say cranberry sauce and what it takes to put that one item out its crazy. To serve 6 gal of cran sauce we would need 2 colers w/ice to get it to the event 12 bowls ,2 big spoons to put it in the bowls then 12 smaller longer handle spoons for the guests and 12 linen napkins to put under the bowls on the buffet table. That is just one little item but multiply that by 9 events and its crazy!!

SO PLEASE CAN I COME TO YOUR HOUSE NEXT YEAR!!! I'LL DO ALL THE COOKING I PROMISE!! ALL I WANT IS A PLACE TO ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO SIT DOWN AND EAT MY TURKEY!! THANK YOU !!!

I work thanksgiving evening..but will have the morning and most of the day atleast to spend at home. I love thanksgiving morning, that early smell of turky in the oven working its way into my room threw the air...ahh..thanksgiving and christmas morning are two of my most faverit mornings of the year
default_wub.png

Normally my mom cooks a HUGE feast for everyone..my brothers familys, my sister and us...then my brothers go to their wives parents house to pig out some more. Mom is cooking agian this year and then we are going to the hospital to spend time with dad if he is not home yet, he has been in the hospital for a few days with some health problems, he should be able to come home tommarow morning, i hope he does...wont be the same without dad home.

I am so ready to get a slice of that pumpkin pie mom has hiding in the fridge
default_eat.gif

I am ready!!
default_yes.gif
Although, I kind of feel like I'm cheating because I bought a fresh turkey breast. Marty, I hate to clean a turkey!!!!! It makes me gag!! Anyways, I'll be making my pie tomorrow and everything else Thanksgiving day. My kids watch the Macy's parade while I'm cooking too. After we eat, it is our tradition to see a Christmas movie at the theater. You can't believe how many people do go to the movies on Thanksgiving.
default_wacko.png

Well were preparing for Thanksgiving as well. We have lots of good freinds coming from all over to stay with us from Wednesday until Sunday. We will be roping, telling old stories, and of course enjoying a good meal. We've always been an unusual family at Thanksgiving, instead of turkey, we love prime rib, with home made rolls, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Not to mention the homemade pies and fudge for dessert. So this year will be no exception to that rule. I think dinner will be early this Thanksgiving as we have a roping to attend at 3 o'clock in the afternoon so well eat and then rope. It just doesn't get any better than that. It will be a lonely holiday, but were still going to try to keep our chins up and know that Shawn is here celebrating and having fun with us.

Since my Dad is finally home from the hospital, we can all relax and enjoy the festivities. On Wed, Dave and I will make lots of dressing. We are going to two dinners--one on thursday and one on Friday--and I am in charge of dressing for both. I will then make pumpkin pies for Friday. We will start our day by getting up and feeding all our 4-legged guests for the morning. I will then put the stuffing for the Thursday dinner in the oven. Then I will be getting ready during commercials while watching parades up till we need to leave to go to my Sister's house. She is expecting about 45 people this year. She has a few other people, but our family is about 35 to 40 now with the grandkids having boy friends, girlfriends and new this year--one wife. Everybody brings something--so it is really fun and relaxed. Best of all, sis's husband loves to clean up and does most of that while we are there. Not bad for a lawyer.
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

On Friday, I will bake the rest of the dressing and boil and fry the sweet potatoes. then we will take that and the pies I made on Wed to Sharon and Joe's house--our new found family. She agreed to wait till Friday so we would be able to stuff ourselves on two days instead of one.

Did I mention that I hurt my wrist really badly? (sprained badly when a horse ran by and I tried to stop him--knew better--did it anyway) Well, my husband--bless him--told me he would do all the work that I cannot to make the dressing and the pies tomorrow. I knew I kept him around for over 34 years for a reason.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Have a wonderful, love filled weekend and keep safe on this busy driving season.

Angie

I am really excited about Thanksgiving! My daughter is doing it this year..her 1st time ever!!! She has never cooked a turkey much less made stuffing. I just laugh to myself listening to her stress...trying to figure it all out...just trying to figure out a time...that suits everyone. Of course she wants me there early to help...yep I will be...gotta see this!!! I think after this she will appreciate Mom a little more and what I go through doing it. At least I am not bringing any little rug rats to talk her head off while she is trying to multi task in the kitchen. AHHHHHHHHHH tis is the season...just hope I don't get food poisoning LOL

Hey everyone I truly want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving with many blessings coming your way.

I am doing the Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year...for my husbands family no less. It is only his folks and one grandmother left year, so a lot smaller than usual for us. Hubby is going to pick up his grandma from the retirement village in NC in the morning and I will be busy here at home. We have a new house and this will be a first time even doing a family dinner on my own--yikes! Turkey, homemade garlic cheese mashed potatoes w/ gravy, candied yams, green bean bacon cassarole, homemade yeast rolls (I make those every few days anyway), and then for desert a punkin' pie and a NY style caramel chocolate cheesecake for dessert. MIL is bringing her famous stuffing and the ambrosia. This is going to be interesting...

I'm ready!!!!!! Flying out to Utah today! Our flight leaves at 5 pm, so we get in around 11, then it's an hour drive through Salt Lake City and up the valley to Alta. Skiing tomorrow!
default_risa8.gif
default_488.gif

I'm very excited, we couldn't go last year because there wasn't enough snow. They got 4 ft. in one storm two weeks ago and opened the season early. Can't wait to take pictures and get on the slopes!
default_new_multi.gif
default_biggrin.png

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rebecca

Just Arnie and me and the turkey. We will have our big dinner when our snowbird friends arrive for the winter on sunday. Publix bakery is wonderful. I love pumkin pie but being a diabetic, can't have it. They now make sugarfree pie with splenda.
default_risa8.gif
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back