Who takes care of your minis while you're away?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband is usually here to feed if I've gone to a show or to visit the kids, but I also have a high schooler who feeds & cleans for me a few evenings a week. She knows the drill, so I feel fairly comfortable leaving her in charge but I also have a good horsey neighbor or two who will come over and just check on things. The high school girl I have now is fairly new, and I found her through 4H horse group. Dropped in at their fall show and mentioned I was looking for someone, and within a couple of days I'd had at least 4 calls.
default_smile.png
I haven't left her here yet on her own, but the one I had previously was here for four years and was very capable.

Jan

We have a fellow who lives near us who comes and helps clean stalls once a week. I always start in the fall looking for someone to help us. I had a wonderful person, but she got pregnant and can no longer help. I really miss her. Usually we don't go away often, but when we do, we pay our neighbor to come and feed and check on the horses.

The key to doing this successfully is to start early and have the person familiar with the horses and the horses familiar with the person.

In these hard economic times, it is hard to afford to hire help, but there are a lot of people out there that can use a bit of cash once in a while to help you out.

Don't hesitate to check any references. It can pay off in the long run. Good luck!

sadly I havent been any where verylong. I went away for weekend and my oldest daughter and my dad took care of them for me. The last time we went away on vacation was almost 7 yrs ago. I didnt have all the horses I have now at the time I only had three big horses and my dad took care of them. Now I have three minis ans 6 big horses alot to ask someone to take care of.

Like many others, we don't both go away at the same time these days. So, my husband is my primary back up followed by my kids (ages 13.5 and nearly 18). All have been thoroughly "trained" in how to feed. My only complaint is that their cleanup practices are minimal. I have a 3 day trip in February coming up and I have to sit 'em all down and remind them that the horses can't go from Tuesday night through Saturday morning without SOMEONE cleaning up the stalls.

Our local high school does have an Ag Science program (it's actually the magnet school for our area for that program). I may look into making a connection there for future reference.

My husband
default_biggrin.png

We've only ever been away 1x when someone else had to feed for us, and at that time, H's brother and our nephew fed for us.

Several + times a year, I have to travel for business, so H mans the fort at that time.

A bigger concern than the horses for me is our dogs. I have what I'm sure is an irrational fear of something going wrong if someone else takes care of them...

Each year, I turn down all expenses paid vacation trips for H and I to wonderful places (part of what I could do through my career), but I just worry too much about our four legged kids.

I'm probably one of the world's most "gifted & creative" worriers
default_no.gif

I'm really lucky. If I'm off to Toronto or somewhere else for any length of time, my partner can look after the horses, dogs, and cats. If we are both away (rarely) then I trust our hired man to get things done. He follows instructions well re. feeding and watering (even if he doesn't do the most amazing job mucking stalls...but I'm a neat freak). He'll look after things when we go to Mexico for 10 days.

Boy I sure wish some of you were close by me. I would gladly volunteer my time to take care of your minis!
default_yes.gif

We don't really go any where, as finding help is hard. But in a pinch now that my son is older, he can care for them.

Latest posts

Back