who takes care of you minis when you are not available

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to know when you all are not available to feed your horses.When folks have to go out of town for children, work or vac. who do you have feed your horses?Do you have the caregiver of your horses feed your horses just hay or hay and feed. Do you have the caregiver take care of the stalls while you are away.

I haven't never went out of town but twice over the years. I have someone feed my horses while I was gone a few days. I couldn't get the person to give feed just hay, is it okay for a mini to go two or three days without feed and just hay.I don't like to be away from my minis, but sometimes we can't help it.This was a few years ago.

i just wanted to know what you all do if you aren't there for you minis. I would love to stay here 24/7 but it isn't always possible.

i worry when i am not here, because i know folks can care for your animals, but noone is going to do what you do for them or the way you do it for them.

I worry about my minis.I read the post eariler about a lady friend letting a filly be with her stallion got me to start thinking.

What if you can find someone to feed fed and hay like you want, but have no choice but to go out what do you do?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't go anywhere, but in addition to horses we also have cattle, so plenty to do around here. On the rare occassion we do go somewhere its never for more than overnight and then my FIL usually feeds for us, I just have him feed hay and fill water tubs. [Last time I was gone, I asked him to give my senior gelding his bucket (already to go) of feed, and he forgot; so I may have to ask my MIL or BIL to take care of the hroses next time.]

I am an animal caretaker. I'v got several people I feed for . I do whatever they ask. I charge $15.00-30.00 a feeding. If someone is going away for awhile,has illness I will discount it. I do clean stalls but that's because they keep them clean. I love these animals,I treat them as if they were my own. I'v even taken care of racoons,squirrel,deer,goats,pig,birds,cats, dogs and given meds,not shots.One lady took in injured animals,with permission of course,I never knew what she would have
default_biggrin.png
.Clear communication is key,written instructions,and have them come over to watch how you do it. Make things easy by labeling everything. If you have alot of horses,especially that look similar make sure they can distinguish them.Have contacts for them in a emergency,vet,farrier,you and a backup person if needed.I would also call them while your gone to check in to see if they have any questions.If you don't know anyone ask your vet/farrier if they have any recommendations. I'v been taking care of these peoples animals for probably 8-10 years,love my job!!!!!!

To be honest, we are LOOKING for a trustworthy and knowledgeable farm and house sitter.......We haven't all gone on a vacation together for more than one night in EIGHT YEARS..........and, I want to go to the BEACH!!!!!
default_crybaby.gif

I have a family member (extended family) take care of all of my critters when I go some place. When I was sick or when I had Neck surgery one time they got a bit fat and another they got thinner than I wanted. But, they were taken care of.

thanks for sharing

What if you can't find someone to feed fed and hay? The person we have to feed will feed hay only, is that okay. I want them feed fed but what if you can't find someone local to do both. we have somewhere to go for three days coming up, so what do i do?

If we are going to be gone for just a day to a sale or something (normally my dad and I go, mom never goes..) Mom will take care of 1 or 2 feedings. During the show season when we may be gone 2..3...4 days, there is a girl just down the road that comes up 3x a day to take care of them. Am feed, noon turn out and then Pm bring in feed. I pay her $15 day when we are gone and normally take her out to eat when we get back or something.

Is there a particular reason they wont grain them? What if you pre measured and labeled it?
they only want to give hay only
default_no.gif
they don't want to mess with the grain. we let them have unlimited hay right now. we are feeding grain one a day right now,but we usually feed twice a day of grain.

I TOO WISH I COULD FIND SOMEONE DEPENDABLE... SO FOR RIGHT NOW I JUST DON'T GO ANYWHERE. I HATE TO ASK A FAMILY MEMBER. THEY ALL SAY THEY WOULD BE WILLING. BUT NONE OF THEM HAVE ANIMALS AND WHEN THEY ASK THE QUESTION... "DO I HAVE TO TOUCH THEM" I AM THINKING IT IS PROBABLY BEST YOU JUST DO NOT COME AND DO IT AT ALL. TO BE HONEST ABOUT IT I DO NOT WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO ASK ME TO FEED FOR THEM SO I SORT OF PUT MYSELF IN THEIR SHOES. SO I JUST CHOOSE TO STAY HOME AND DO IT MYSELF. IN AN EMERGENCY MY HUSBAND CAN PUT OUT HAY, ALTHOUGH HE HAS TO HAVE HIS MEMORY REFRESHED EVERY TIME THE EVENT TAKES PLACE AND I'VE HAD HORSES FOR 10 YEARS... GO FIGURE.
default_wink.png

I'd rather have my horses go without grain for a couple of days then take any chance that someone is going to feed them more then they are supposed to.

I found a pet sitter a couple of years ago. She does everything I ask, I have taught her a lot and asked her to read a book about colic, which she did. I found her at the vet's office, she was a former vet tech and now only pet sits. She is afaraid of full size horses but adores my minis.

Robin

I don't go away very often, and won't unless I feel that I have reliable help. I hire mostly Ag Science High School kids to do my stalls/chores every day and the ones I have now are actually grads and very reliable. They know the horses, the routine, what I like etc. I also have a professional pet sitter recommended by my vet. My instructions are several pages long and I usually have 2 or 3 sitters because the horses get fed 4 times a day. They have each other's phone numbers and leave each other notes. I have also been known to leave a cam up outside so I can watch from my laptop whereever we go. Wi Fi is a must! The horse care is usually the largest vacation expense we have, but we do get to go away!

I have been very fortunate to have found our neighbor's grandson!! He moved here to go to college and is afraid of animals so to start he just watered and fed the small animals and took excellent care of the dogs. He has gotten over his fear of our horses and does feed the pen that gets grain. Most of our horses just get hay so we feed round bales. You can feed just hay when gone, we did all the time before we found our neighbor!!

We actually took our first real vacation to Seaworld in Fl and not once did I worry about the animals!! It was great!! I will say my husband complains because I pay him very well, but I explained peace of mind and me willing to go on vacation is priceless!! We even spent 6 days over x-mas with my family and saw all of our friends and I still felt great about it!! Our animals all love our caretaker even our dogs!! So I would go ahead and have your friend feed hay and maybe they will get comfortable and next time be willing to grain!!
default_biggrin.png

LIKE A LOT OF YOU WE DON'T GO ANYWHERE. WHEN I'M AT A SHOW MY HUSBAND BECOMES MY RANCH HAND. MY VET HAS A VET TECH WHO WILL TAKE CARE SOMETIMES. ONLY FEED. AT LEAST SHE KNOWS WHAT TO LOOK FOR IF SOMETHING IS AMIS.

when the kennel at the vet is full, we have one of the vet techs come out and feed, play with, and let the dogs out. $10 a visit. I'm not sure yet, as i dont have any lil equines yet, but i am hoping he will be able to toss hay for me.

If you cant find anyone, I would check and a few local vets, as this is fairly common practice. In general if you have equines, you should befriend a few of your nearest neighbors that have them as well, big or small. It's always good to have someone nearby that can help on a moments notice if there is an emergency.

You can always try posting an ad on craigslist as well. I would just make sure that the person has SOME kind of experiance and is smart enough to call you or the vet if something is wrong.

If you have someone watch your horses, make sure the grain is all pre-measured. Put them in plastic cups and label them or something like that, so they dont have to scoop or anything. Also make sure you have your phone number and the vets phone number posted somwhere they can easily see it.

It's been SO LONG since hubby and I have been gone overnight (forget anything longer!!) anywhere TOGETHER!!!
default_sad.png
We have a neighbor now that we feed for when they're gone, and they will return the favor, so looking forward to some overnights
default_biggrin.png
We feed big round bales, and always make sure that there are fresh ones in the feeders before we leave. If we find someone comfortable with feeding grain, then they'll do that otherwise the free choice hay is enough. With the big bales, usually just having someone check a couple times a day and fill water tanks when needed is enough. Everyone is out on dry lot when we're gone, so no stall cleaning
default_smile.png
The only grain requirement is our senior mare, and I measure out all her dry feed into separate ice cream buckets (with lids!!), and leave DETAILED instructions for adding the water, oil and meds.

I always leave a list of numbers (vet, cell numbers, horsey friends) and I do call the vet and let him know that we will be gone, just in case he gets a call. He has my cell number so can call me if necessary, but at least he knows when someone calls that I've "pre-approved" it. I also now leave a clipboard in the barn with everyone's picture, name and sex (in plastic page protectors). It only took one call...."OMG, your sorrel horse is cut and bleeding!!" WHICH sorrel???? there are 7 sorrel mares and one sorrel gelding!...to get me motivated to get pics of everyone!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm paranoid, anal and a worry-wart
default_new_shocked.gif
Hubby gets frustrated before we ever leave the house
default_rolleyes.gif
I'd hate to see if I had 2-leg kids at a babysitters!!!!!

I am lucky my family lives close. If I am away they feed. I have also paided a neighbor to feed only no stalls. Also I use the veternairain assitances, they like the extra income. I would call the vets in your area & ask or your local feed store.

I have everthing measured out in plastic dog bowls with each horse name on it. I also love my post it notes, dry eraser board, & names on the stalls. I also Post all emerency phone numbers like the vet and my close horsey friends and family. I check and call once a day to whom ever is taking care of my animals. This makes sure everthing is hunky dory.

I have also traded taking care of my friends horses and animals for doing mine.

We were fortunate enough to find a young lady (in her 20's, looks like a kid) that the feed store had a business card for. She is a doctor's daughter that apparently really enjoys animals. She is perfect to feed our minis, goats, and anatolian shepherds as she owns big dogs and big horses. She only charges $10 a trip because her parents live out this way and she goes there twice a day to check on her own horses. Of course we tip her as well but I really doubt she expects it. She quickly learned names of all animals and the routine for getting the goats out of the way of the horses and getting the trust/approval of the anatolians which could cause a normal person severe mental anxiety if not physical inury. The dogs quickly picked up on her trustworthiness. She even fed a litter while we were away Christmas. The only problem we ever had was when we asked her to feed our 3 little indoor dogs. She obviously did not understand they had their own food in the house and gave them the anatolians feed.
default_new_shocked.gif
Digestive upset! But anyway I am not real comfortable with anyone other than a relative coming inside while we are away so the next time we stayed at a bed and breakfast that welcomed pets. We are very blessed to have found this young lady because we tried another person in the past that really had too many personal problems/TMI and we worried while away. I believe the best route is to look for someone that has a business card posted at a feed store, auction, vet's office, or in the classifieds and get some references. We have a neighbor that used to be great at feeding our lab when that was the only animal we owned. But labs love everyone. No way would we let the neighbor feed the horses because he has no horse knowledge and the anatolians see him as "intrusive" or "not trustworthy". Not really sure why they don't take to him but they simply do not and we cannot afford to risk an injury due to his inexperience. I think you really have to find that petsitter that has the knack. If I ever get to retire I would love to be a part time petsitter.

Back