Who still has his first miniature?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes still have our first and second mini. They will be 20 and 18 next year, we have had both since foals.

Wellllll.... technically, yes. Sunny (JEM Canadian Sunrise) is "my" first Mini that was not a co-owned horse. Reddie (Mini Ridge Red Man) was the first Mini I owned, but he was co-owned with a friend and we sold him. I now wish we'd kept him. he was a pistol and just a cool dude.

I do- Grays Smoke Signal.... (aka Bob). I bought him in early February of his 5th year. He is 24 now. We have covered a LOT of miles driving over the years- he is such a love. He's a son of Shadow Oaks Cock Robin by Chianti. He's in my avatar- the silver dapple with black spots on his rear.

Our first few minis we were "taken" (not having a computer or knowing anyone with minis to talk to) so we didn't have them very long. But we did have our very first mini foal his entire life! Not many people can say that
default_smile.png

We lost him to a massive stroke late last year when he was nearly 20
default_sad.png

We got our first mini in 2004 and still have him, SRF Masters Touch. We have also kept all of our pinto foals, which means we only sold one foal, and that one to someone in town. Now you know the real reason we stopped breeding - we just can't part with them!

Yankee Doodle is my 2nd horse I bought back in 1987, he was a yearling when I got him and he will be 29 next May !!!! he is a son of Shadow Oak"s Paul Bunyan!!!!

We started with three weanlings in 1981. One of those was a mare named Martin's Bunny who was the matriarch of our herd until we lost her suddenly in 1997. Today, we still have 9 horses in our herd who are Bunny descendants.

Clementine was my fist mini. She was born the same day my newborn son (premie) came home from the NICU. They have grown up together and we will keep her until it's her time. I also have Major, my second and only other mini. He will also be here until he dies. I don't breed or show so my horses (riding horse included) will be with me until they pass away.

First Mini is KuLee Country Jake & i got him as a weanling. He is 23 this year. Stallion for 10 yrs and now a gelding.

Next is Lilliput Acres Thumbelina i got her as a weanling. Lena is 21 this year and they are both healthy and going strong.

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread, so I thought I'd add to it as well
default_yes.gif
. I still have my first (and all) of my minis! I got my gelding Buddy when he was 9 months old and he just turned 18 this past month. About 10 month after getting Buddy I got my second mini, Bandy (she is in my avatar photo with my son). She was a yearling when I got her, and is 17 now. She was part of a wild herd of ponies - the owner had dozens of ponies that were kept on hundreds of acres of land, and when I bought Bandy and went to pick her up I was the first human she had ever seen. It was quite an adventure at first, but before long she developed into her current self - a very gentle and calm mare. Both of my two have mainly been pleasure driving minis, but I did show them some a LONG time back. For all these years it has just been the two of them, but Bandy had a foal this past June, Molly, who will also be with us forever, and hopefully Bandy is also currently pregnant and due next June with the final member of our herd, who will also be born into his/her permanent family and hopefully be Molly's companion for the next 20+ years to come!
default_new_multi.gif

Our first 3 minis died about 5/6 years ago closing in on 30 years old we kept and still have a foal named Relic from one of those mares who's turning 23 soon..

I'm probably not enough of an old-timer to comment on this one... but what the heck. Here's my Ode to Pokee...

Our first 2 minis arrived here about 3 years ago (Nicky and a little mare.) My husband picked the little mare at the auction and named her Pocahontas--because he said she looked like an Indian horse (he can use a politically-incorrect term like that, because he's Indian, or at least partially so.) I called her Pokee for short. He called her his Sweet-Ums. She used to wait at the fence for him. From the git-go, my gut instinct was that she was "fragile." ...she just wasn't right. Something was wrong; we had her checked out by the vet. But It took less than 3 months before we killed her off. We had a vet here within a couple hours of when we first noticed symptoms. That evening Pokee was treated for colic. The next morning, she still wasn't right. The farrier came and did all their feet (the appointment had already been made.) She was still up for that, but she was getting worse. I kept doing what the vet said, but it wasn't working. I was out there sitting with her begging her to be ok. Well, end of story is we had the vet come back the following evening. She was so much worse; whatever happened with her, the vet said it was affecting her nervous system, and we put her down. Well, actually the vet and my husband put her down. I bailed.

The vet explained the various options of what to do with her. ...he told us (wink-wink) we could bury her here, or we could take her to the vet hospital to have her analyzed for cause of death, or we could have her picked up. Our initial reaction was to bury her here, but then my husband told me in between snotting tears on me that he just couldn't handle the logicstics of digging the hole, putting her in the tractor bucket and then burying her. Which I fully understood. He had an important job the next day, so the vet and my husband put Pokee under a tarp as far away from Nicky as possible. The next morning I called the meat wagon; I had that one day to make the decision; I don't know if I did the right thing. They got here at around 10 AM and she was already smelling foul, because it was hot outdoors. The meat wagon looks like a big dump truck and it smelled nasty too. To this day, I wonder if I shouldn't have figured out a way to get her to the vet hospital for analysis. I read and read on the internet, and her symptoms seemed like rabies. They don't routinely recommend/vaccinate for rabies here. Poor Coco (Pokee's replacement) she got a really bad deal from us, because we just didn't even want to look at another horse for a couple months. Anyway....

Photo below (not mine, but out there on the internet, so it's being used for educational purposes only...)

Pokee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have Scooter born on 5-10 89 and bought her and sire and dam on 5-11-89.I have her sister Promise,5-9-90 and sister Fancy,6-10-92 Lost Sire and dam a few years back but these girls are here to stay.Scooter is in GREAT shape.Promise not so good.she has Cushings an d foot issues.Fancy is in good shape.Old horses, old dogs and old people here on this farm.

I still have 2 of the original 3. I got Dakota and Dusty the fall of 2001 and then acquired Cloudy almost a month later. Dakota injured a hind leg and then developed arthritis. Winter was very hard on him so we had to have him put down several years ago. Dusty is still here--he is coming 17--and so is Cloudy, who is coming 14.

I still have my first two ( I bought them at the same time) but that isn't very impressive, as I just got them a year ago this month. A five month old and a six month old. It changed my life bc now I am much more into the farm and homesteading and horses. They are my stress relief. Knowing what I know now, I laugh that we decided to take on BABIES for our first minis, but it has gone well. They are fabulous, and now we have a third, a three year old gelding.

Latest posts

Back