Who is going to the National Drive this year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie

Reaction score
If anyone has gone before do you have a list of must haves, or list of things you wish you had thought of to bring?

Thanks!

I go! Its great fun. I normally just pack like I'm heading over to a friends to drive. I always bring an extra everything just in case. Hay, shavings, muck bucket, fork, water buckets and hangers. Then everything I need. It's really relaxed and everyone is willing to help you. They have vendors there if you need to buy anything at all.

I'd love to go but it's kind of a long haul for those of us on the West coast. My father has just gotten into driving as well and we've talked about my Hubby and I along with my parents going w/o horses one year. You don't need a horse to go to a clinic and listen ;)

Boy, don't I WISH! It's on my bucket list, but a LONG way from central NM!

I have friends that travel from Texas year year. It really is a lot of fun. One of those things that you should do at least once. It's my vacation each year now that I found it. I am bringing more people from Ontario this year, 4 I think at last count! There is still time to convince others too!

Entry deadline is sept 22, and I think it's going to take me that long to decide if I can do it this year.
default_sad.png
If anyone can go, you won't regret it! The driving is wonderful, the people you meet there become friends, there's great vendors for shopping, plus you get admission to all the great exhibits at Kentucky Horse Park.

As for things to bring: it's like packing for a show, except there's no pressure. Show clothes are optional, although many folks "dress" for each day. Lots of people dress up for the Mimosa Drive, which makes for some lovely photos. Although not required, helmets are recommended and many wear them. Your equipment, vehicle, and harness do not have to be fancy (or even clean, lol!) just safe. There is a safety check that each turnout must pass before they can drive, but if your stuff fits and is adjusted properly, you're good to go. If you forget grooming stuff or tack, there are many great vendors on site, as well as a tack shop at the park itself, plus tractor supply is only 10 minutes away. There is a shavings vendor on site. You can rent a golf cart. Walmart is 10 minutes away if you forget human stuff. There are several food places on site (I like the restaurant in the farmhouse near Alltech Arena) plus there's wine and cheese receptions in the evening ( the bluegrass music is really fun! ) and coffee/hot chocolate and donuts every morning. Downtown Georgetown is only 15 minutes away for some other food/entertainment options. I've never felt the need to go to the big city (Lexington) but I hear there's lots to do there, if that's your idea of fun.

I will be there at least one of the days on foot. I try to never miss it! I am about 90 miles south of the Kentucky Horse Park. I was hoping to finally be able to take a horse this year, but I doubt that any of my horses will be going well enough by then and I really need a new (different), more comfortable horse trailer before I do something like this; mine is really only fit for emergencies, trips to the veterinarian, etc. I love to try to meet people from the forum in real life! There are always a few great vendors; I got a very nice Miniature/small pony whip last year (good deal too). I have never signed up for or sat in on one of the clinics, but I would like to try that one year. It is fun to do even if you cannot/do not take a horse. The Kentucky Horse Park is great fun if you love horses anyway. They have a world class museum that is not to be missed. If you cannot bring a horse of your own, but you still want to ride, they do offer a guided trail ride; I have not partaken of that in years (as I always have a horse or multiple horses at home), but it used to be positively delightful.

I just live in Fairdale ( Louisville area) and had planned on going this year. BUT, I am making a change in my life. I sold my house and buying another where my horses can be on my property.(which they haven't been for the last 12 years).I found me a place with an acre. YEAH!!! I haven't posted for a while and sure miss you guys.
default_sad.png
I will be closing on both properties around the time of the Drive. Maybe next year. I know,I've been saying that the last 2 years. LOL

Sounds like changes for the better Peggy! The ND will still be there next year
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back