who here shows dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
I am curious if those who show dogs would be as likely to encourage a newbie to show as we are with horses? I would love to know what you consider the good and the bad points to showing dog's ..........

anyone
unsure.gif

I would love to get back to showing rabbits but there aren't any shows really where I am.....the horse shows are just way out of my league right now.......and dog shows although not many in my immediate area are easier to get to with a fair bit less cost than hauling to horse shows..........just trying to get an idea of the differences/similarities with other species showing scene.

Hi- I can give you my experience which will not be vast- We have shown in a few fun show in preparation for the local points shows- and were unable to show are guy in the points show because he was diagnosised with a genetic disease and was not appropriate for us to continue with him.

With that said- we a looking for our next show dog! We had a great time- we hooked up with two of our local kennel clubs and attended there show classes- I think $10.00 a night as we were not registered members at the time. We met some wonderful people and some not so wonderful people some really competitive some not- so very helpful and some not- pretty much like the minis.

Some were not happy we were going in the ring instead of a handler- and some were encouraging. In the end we were going to hire a handler- but I wanted at least a crack in the ring- (The only reason we were going to hire the handler is like most showing events being a newbie we did not want to tick a judge off- we wanted to finish our boy quickly). I will be showing our next one in the ring
yes.gif
(even though they are my husbands dogs)- because I like what I saw at all the point shows we went and watched.

But the main point being the kennel clubs and there class were very encouraging- and I felt definately worth the attending to give me a support system to guide us through the official stuff- and sometimes the not so official stuff.

Good Luck! Let me know what you end up doing.

Tiffany

I retired from the dogs when I moved up here, but I was a professional handler and trainer and bred several breeds for various competitions. Give me a call this weekend and we can chat about it.
smile.gif

Suzanne

We showed dogs for years and horses for years. My husband was a AKC Judge for several years and was the presdent of our local club for several years. We loved showing our dogs. We also had several breeds. Big and small we showed them all.... The kids were doing more with the horses than the dogs. So we found show homes for our show dogs. We have been talking about showing dogs again. We are looking for a show quality show dog ... BUT we like so many breeds.. and we only want one show dog...
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

Email me runamuk...

Blackfoot Idaho has a 4 day show and so does Boise Idaho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a breeder/owner/handler for (choke) 30 years.

Just like horse shows, dog shows can be terribly political, sometimes even more so.

As in anything else, it requires lots of time, commitment and, oh yeah - money -
biggrin.gif
to succeed. Oh, and don't forget the thick skin.

It can be very rewarding and it can be terribly frustrating.

Last week at Nationals I had lots of people tell me they "used" to show dogs but had to stop because they couldn't do dogs and horses. Being our first year with the horses, it scares me because I'm not ready to give up my dogs! But it IS a lot of work to do both...

Shelley

I also have been showing and breeding my own dogs for 29 years now and I do think u can start showing dogs on a small scale for quite a bit less than showing horses. How sucessful u will be depends on what breed u choose, how hard u work at learning and of course the quality of your dog. Of course there are politics going on big time at dog shows and the handlers win a lot just like horse shows. But if u get into it knowing these facts u can still have fun.

Thanks keep it coming
wink.gif
I have many friends who raise train and show...or are handlers etc. one of my bosses years ago was 4th generation dog fancier specifically poodles.....I have an excellent mentor in the breeder I am currently working with....and apparently there are a few more "dog" friends I didn't realize did the "dog" thing
biggrin.gif
in a perfect world I would show my horses but my world isn't perfect
rolleyes.gif
so with the new pup that is coming ..hopefully fingers and toes crossed......I was tossing around the idea of maybe trying my hand at it...the breeder of course is all for it
biggrin.gif
helps her make a major on a short show
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
and she would love to have more of her dogs out there showing......I know about the boise show and there are several in WA.....and next spring is the Chow Chow nationals in the northwest and you can bet your bippy I AM NOT MISSING IT.......all those fuzz balls in one place
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

The one advantage is cost although I was floored at entry fee's for one show..but I can haul one dog in a geo so my travel expense is cut into 1/8 of the truck and trailer......

anyway thanks for the info

Rori

I raise and show English Setters. I just love their personalities. As mentioned before, you need a tough skin. There are nice people and not nice people. There are people out for blood and some that do it just because they enjoy it. I try to avoid the nasty ones because I do it for the fun. I try to win but don't rip someone's head off if I don't. I've been lucky enough to have good dogs.

The travel and price of gas is a draw back. Entry fees have gone up again and you have to sleep someplace.

It helps if you know the judge's history, likes and dislikes, who enjoys a lower cut shirt...LOL...things like that. You don't waste your entry fee showing under a judge that hates your style dog.

I showed dogs for more than 20years but woul not go back to it. I wass only 1 step away from having my professional handlers lic. I loved it . I worked in an all breed groomimg shop and show kennel . Paid good we spent every weekend March though October at shows . As we went along things got better, better places to show[not in back fields but inside in air condiioning,] better venues [insteading of moving the whole show every day for a weekend Clubs would get together and have 3 shows in oneplace] a lot easier on thepocketbok and the nerves of people and dogs . Got to be more about showing the dogs than wearing a little skimpy dress and no underware. Things were lookiing up. I got married and left the show world for 8 long years,got divorced, started going back to shows. I discovered that Shows were back in back fields, and girls had rediscovered skimpy dresses and no underware. So I did not return to the show world,don't even go to shows anymore. If you want to start small, toughen your hide, and do it for fun. Yes many make very good money handeling dogs for shows but it is a lot of work long hours, little sleep, and a long road to proffessional handler lic. I know for a fact that some well known mini people once were very well known dog show people.

Yep I too know a few mini handlers who were dog handlers
wink.gif

I am definately not thinking "career" at all just for fun......and I guess my hide is pretty tough as I entered the world of mini's knowing many AMHA breeders and helped them at shows...I also worked as a groom in arab show/breeding farms before that ...and now I hear often how horrible and political and backstabbing those venues are
new_shocked.gif
ok so maybe I truly am dense as a post
wink.gif
but I found the vast majority of people to be friendly and nice....and I love going to shows for fun even if I am not showing.....one of the things I miss over here in Idaho....I cannot just pop into a show of any sort that my friends are showing at....we just don't have much in shows over here..
no.gif
no.gif

Latest posts

Back