Who have you bred (or not bred) for 2013?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
Those who have followed the forum for awhile likely know of our horrible foaling luck, as we have more dead foals over 6 years than live ones. But for this year, we were blessed with 3 healthy foals (and 2 fillies!) from 3 mares that were bred. But we swore that no matter what happened this year, we would NOT breed for 2013. Well, of course after such a great foal crop, we changed our minds. So for 2013 we have bred two mares to our stallion SRF Buckshot, and both are due in mid-April. (He had one very busy week!).

Alamos Sirs Toffee Snow - blue eyed bay pinto, 34" daughter of CC Call Me Sir, and a repeat breeding that produced Clyde (check him out on our website).

Toffee_2010.jpg

and a maiden, Buckeye WCF Last Dance, blue eyed silver dapple pinto, 34" daughter of FWF Little Wardance.

lastdance7.jpg

Photo compliments of Getitia Matheny

Now I hope I didn't jinx us by posting this. They will be on Mare Stare and on the Mare Stare Watchers/Chat board here on Lil Beginnings in Feb or March.

The other mares that foaled this year, Sox and Mira, both former show mares, are being used for 4-H projects and are learning halter obstacle, showmanship, jumping and driving.

Who did YOU breed for 2013, or are you not breeding??

Well I have at least one bred, maybe 2. ;(

I hadn't planned on breeding any. I was getting the colt gelded in the spring but family emergencies stopped that and then the bugs came in droves so I waited. Well hubby turned out the horses into the pasture one day and turned out the colt in his paddock at the same time. I saw him catch one for sure. I had her tested and she is in foal but I have another that never had a heat all summer. He caught the first one May 15 and that was the only time that he had any type of access. There still was a metal round pen enclosing him in his field but he still managed to figure out a way to make it work. This will put her due mid April too! I will be on Marestare also because I will be in school then. It will be a fun time, no sleep waiting for a foaling, school all day and then working full time every night. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! The blue eyes! What beautiful horses you have =)

Good luck on the 2013 foals and congrats on the 2012 ones! =)

My mini is only 2 and I don't breed them for a living or anything, but I think that when she's older I'd like to breed her =)

I had planned to breed two mares that didn't foal this year for next year, but timing just never worked out for me to get the handbreeding done, so they didn't get covered. One mare ran with the other stallion all summer, we'll see if she caught, he seems to have trouble with pasture breeding.

TargetsMom,

I LOVE your mare. Gorgeous! I have two mares in foal:

Little King's Russian Raven bred to Grosshill EK Undisputed Creation. Should be an AWESOME foal we are planning to retain. Also have Country Lane Buck Forevermore bred to the most wonderful stallion Rogers HSR Destiny Amore. No plans on selling that foal either and if all goes well, hope they will be on the show circuit in 2014 with Danielle Hill. But mostly I just want safe births and deliveries and happy, healthy moms and foals.

I didn't breed, D'Armond's Crystal and Velvet. She is enjoying the year off from brood mare duties and we are working on clicker training.

That's it here.

Thanks for the comments on our mares. Can you post photos of the mares that you bred and maybe the stallions they are bred to? I think that is allowed on this forum. You can add photos from your computer by using the "more reply options".

We've down sized a lot over the past 2 years, and now only have 3 broodmares. Expecting 2 foals (I hope, fingers crossed!) due mid-April and mid-May.

Both mares are bred to North Stars Valdez Y Basan, pictured in July at 23 years old:

val2012.jpg

Rocky Mountains Ruble - Ruble is a new addition. I've always admired her, and she's a grand-daughter of our foundation mare, Martins Bunny. This will be her first foal, can't wait!

ruble2.jpg

Toybox Barbie Doll - hoping Barbie keeps up the cloning machine! I love both her previous fillies, big moving silver dapple pintos, my favorite!

barbie2.jpg

No breeding here, I did allow my yearling colt to run with my two mares over the summer for social time. I had them both checked via ultrasound and both mares are open. I am debating about breeding one mare in 2013.

We moved to Tucson, from Missouri, resently and had a total of 10 mares due. The change in tempature and them not getting to graze anymore(along with sand and not drinking enough water), cost us four mares to colic, over a 2 month period.

We have six remaining, plus purchased a mare that had been exposed to a miniature stallion and jack. Didn't get any information on the stallion. If pregnant, the foal/mule will be sold.

We have two mares bred to are cremello stallion, Wisteria GMB Dream Come True. These are new crosses. These will alsao be is first crop.

We have two mares bred to are smokey grulla(homozygous black) stallion, Running Creeks Destiny Buckeroo. One is a repeat crossing.First foal was a grulla filly that died(red bag). Second foal is a smokey black filly.

We have one mare bred to are silver black stallion, Wesco Farms Rohans Echo ET. First time crossing, but he has produced two gorgous foals with different mares.

We have one mare bred to are bay homozygous tobiano stallion, Freelands Geronimo Navajo Feather. This will be his first offspring.

Are final stallion, LM Hawks Ace N The Hole had two mares covered, but both were of the four that coliced and died.

I have one of our buckskin mares bred. She's an Eastern Regional Champion and Res. World Champion. She's due in early spring.

_MG_8915copy.jpg

Vegas may or may not be in foal for 2013. No heat signs since I got her home, and no heat signs around the stallion either. Had her u/s in August, but our vets don't have small equipment for minis so it was only a transabdominal. Vet couldn't see anything, but she said that if it was early on in her pregnancy she wouldn't be able to. So we play the waiting game for now. My cousins mare is bred, she may elaborate when she gets to this thread. And my grandmother has one mare for sure in foal, Vegas' dam. She's bred to AF Grey Feather(Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse x Ahren's Shy Ann). Should be a fun spring/summer
default_smile.png

We bred three Mares for 2013 but I highly Doubt anyone took.

1. Lazy Bear Lady Sapphire (Splashed White Sorrel), Exposed to Fallen Ash Farms Mine by Design (World Top Ten Halter Champion)

SapphireStandHalter2009.JPG

designshow400_000.jpg

Would be a Full Sibling to my Awesome 2009 Filly Desert Realms Bejeweled Design

2. Oak Parks Vegas Intrigue (Silver Grulla), Exposed to Manipulaters Buckingham (World Champion)'

MaresPageIntrigue2.jpg
BuckinghamHD.jpg

3. Ericas Big City Diamonte, Exposed to Cross Country Ericas Hearts Afire (2X Reserve National Halter Champion)

Sparkle_Regionals_crop_6_26_10.jpg

Sparrow_ResNatlCH2010.jpg

Would be a full Sibling to this years filly
default_smile.png

We did not breed last year or this year. Sorta planning to breed 4 or 5 next year, but we said that last year, so we shall see. The market is just not real good right now so would rather wait a while.

We had no *plan* for 2013, but someone had other ideas

Missy 2 months before foaling 2010

from disc all pics 466a.jpg

Masq gelded a week after the afternoon party

IMG_0031_NEW.jpg

Reactions: KLM
Well I hae mare to foal out in Feb. I really didn't want to foal any more but bred this mare for a sale, and the sale fell though, now she is too heavy to travel. She is Payoffs Dutchess LWO+, bred and sono'd in foal to Lucky Four Sugar Boys Sundowner, both are Champions, and have produced champions. I'm hoping to show this one too if possable.

scan0002.jpg

June2012002.jpg

The first pic is Sunny, the second is my little mare, I'm going to need lots of luck, although she is proven, she is only 30" tall he is 32"

We should have 3 foals due next year. 2 will be sired by Sundance LB Assured (AMHA/AMHR/ASPC), who is the sire to SMO Bolero De Suerte (Res. National Grand Champion), this is a VERY casual picture of him. I don't think his professional pictures do him ANY justice at all and make him look super stocky, when he isn't stocky at all! Hopefully we can get some better ones this Spring!

255238_10151136438181788_1315110774_n.jpg

Rowbuck Bequest of Broadway (for an A/R foal):

2183_68435771787_9489_n.jpg

2183_68435781787_9804_n.jpg

And Cherry-Hill Black Betsy Rox (for an ASPC/AMHR foal):

betsyrox1.jpg

Then we have one foal by Ericas Rock My World, 2x Reserve National Champion:

421332_10150692533746788_1998528869_n.jpg

Out of CLC Baile Del Sol:

delsol1.jpg

We usually have 6-8 foals every year but decided to scale back because of the market. We are only considering breeding a couple next year also.

I have my top 10 National winning AMHA palomino pinto mare bred to my World Champion Silver bay stallion for a 2013 foal
default_smile.png

Princess10.jpg

dream1.jpg

Only two in foal for next year, both bred to Establo Maximo (black horse in the avatar).

bth_ScannedImage-2.jpg
Wildoaks Still Dreaming, a 35" black Brewer bred mare I drove for a year or so, wonderful sweet mare.

And Wild Oaks Dream N Color, a 34" pinto FHF Painted Echo daughter that we raised.

bth_foals08015.jpg
She's pictured with her filly from a few years ago, this filly was a National Top Five in a big amateur jr mare class. I'm sure hoping for something this nice from her again.
default_smile.png

They were pretty cooperative and got in foal about the same time, so we should have a short foal watch next year.

Jan

2009NationalsSugar.Teri.jpg

Latest posts

Back