Who hauls their horses in a mini van?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horse trailers will always be far safer than hauling in homemade trailers or cars/vans
default_smile.png
Nathan, can you explain why a horse trailer would be 'safer' than in a van? The risk of having an accident wouldn't be any greater if the horses were contained safely. And also, if it was a home made trailer, it would be a double axel one. How would that be less safe also?

Not being sarcastic here, I just like to know what I'm up against and I'm the type of person who likes to have 'proof' of statements made.

I've seen some horse trailers that people are towing and think that they shouldn't even be on the road!

Like I said, horse trailers are really expensive here. If I can come up with some other way to haul the horses around that is as safe as a horse trailer, I'd like to consider it. And, I can't see the need for a MASSIVE full sized horse trailer for 2 minis. My husband is a carpernter and my neighbour is a metal guy (LOL, what do you call people that work with metal!!!!?). Between them, they said they would be able to make a great trailer. But - I'd still prefer to use a minivan if I know it would be safe.

People here have mentioned that they only use the minvan for short trips or emergencies. Don't statistics say that most car accidents happen close to home???? So, how can using a minivan 'just for short trips' be safer then?

Just trying to get the facts and see what options I have guys!
default_smile.png

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming. Lots of food for thought!

xox Leonie xxo

Most homemade trailers are converted cargo trailers, which are not designed for the type of load that horses are. Horses are top-heavy, "live" weight, meaning they move and shift weight. Smaller vehicles can't handle towing a trailer with that kind of weight; my thought is you shouldn't be towing horse trailers, even custom ones, with a truck that can't handle a full sized horse trailer. Ie no Subaru's, sorry. Also, most homemade trailers don't have the support from the floor that they need to be carrying 50lbs in 4 square inches (hoof).

As far as trucks/minivans hauling horses INSIDE, they are safer IN GENERAL than a small "amature" homemade trailer. The biggest safety hazards are 1) the driver being distracted and 2) in an accident, the horse becoming a missile and injuring itself or the passangers in the vehicle. You can bet the police will not be all that forgiving to find a horse riding in the front seat to be the cause of an accident. You eliminate both of those hazards by hauling a trailer. And both of those hazards are HUGE concerns... I'm quite surprised nobody else has mentioned them. Yes, I've hauled my pony in my F150, but I tried my darndest to eliminate those two problems as best I could. I fixed about 50% of the first issue and all of the second issue by giving the horse just enough room, basically a standing stall. He could not go flying and could not break past the seat's cargo capacity and defenses. By tying him on the passanger side his head was not able to distract the driver, but it is very hard to overcome the "oh my goodness there is a horse in the back seat" syndrome. In a mini van there is nothing to stop the horse in an accident, whereas a horse trailer a) would have the ability to keep the horse contained in a glass-free enviroment with (hopefully) metal-protrusion-free areas, as well as b) eliminate the distraction factor.

Horse trailers are quite safe, if you purchase a quality rig. Many, MANY times these trailers have been in severe accidents and most of the time the horses are able to be extracted from the accident with only minor injuries. I've had friends roll over 2h trailers (wind tunnel effect... big trailer and big truck completely overcome by wind by a passing dumptruck in a tunnel) totalling both the truck and trailer, and have the horses back on the show circuit in less than a month. That's not going to happen in a minivan. In my setup in my truck, hopefully (as best as I can hope with my design) he would walk away without any significant injuries, less than in a trailer I think. But the way I did things I've never seen duplicated.

Horses really do not belong in the same compartment as people. You can "get away" with it from time to time, and with lots of planning and design you can design very good safe rigs (I've seen custom built 1 ton vans with several slant load slots in them, completely designed from the ground up to be very safe). But you aren't going to have that in your average home-job of converting your old Caravan. Like most people here, there aren't many that do more than remove seats and put in mats. Even a sheet of 1/2" plywood isn't going to do much to stop a 300lb horse. They could kick through that, never mind get thrown into it by a 50mph impact. That's not near enough! As yourself this: assume that you rear end a semi driving down the interstate. Would the horse and passangers survive? If you can honestly say yes, then go for it. But most of the descriptions of hauling setups mentioned here would not be able to say that.

As far as "not seeing the need for a full sized horse trailer" consider this... how many people do you see driving down the road with their 12' boat on a flatbed? They are cheaper than boat trailers... but boat trailers are specifically designed for the safety and ease of use for their intended purpose, transporting and launching boats. Same with horse trailers. You can buy miniature horse trailers that are made by horse trailer manufacturers that are really cute and plenty safe. There is one memeber here who always posts a picture of her's behind an F150, along with her fancy new gooseneck. Both are true horse trailers, just in miniature size. Those are far safer than a converted trailer. Horse trailers also drain urine through large cracks, which cargo trailers don't have. They have soft suspension, air holes, and lots of other horse features. I'm sure that your husband and neighbor could build a nice trailer for them, designed off of plans for a true horse trailer, but your average person wouldn't be able to do that much fabrication to make it worthwhile.

If horse trailers are so expensive locally, don't hesitate to travel. Its cheap to have a trailer shipped to you. You can get one shipped across the US for less than you pay to take delivery of a new car
default_smile.png
Heck, I live in Louisville, 10 miles from the Ford truck plant... it still costs $900 for delivery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Leonie,

Here are two pics that I took of Miss Melody's first ride in the mini van. She had too much room and so the next time I only took out the back seat. A lot of people are going to tell you that you HAVE to get a "Horse Trailer" and that it's the only safe way. But I think if you don't plan on hauling to nationals or for long distances a mini van would WORK great for you and your babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
I only did it twice but LOVED it because she was right there with me
default_biggrin.png
When I get another one I am going to look into a mini van. Now if I was planning on hauling frequently or long distance than I would look into a nice trailer for sure.

Pulling these pictures up made me a little teary
default_blush.png

DSC04233-1.jpg

DSC04236-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Brandi, those photos made me a bit teary too!
default_sad.png

Look at her checking out the traffic, that's really cute!

Did she seem to loose her balance with that much room? I guess you could even place bales of hay around the sides to confine them a little more?

Nathan, you have posted some interesting stuff there. I don't take my little horses safety lightly so that's why I'm asking around to see what the safety issues would be.

If I was to get a minivan I would have a safety barrier installed behind the drivers and passanger seat. That would stop the issue of the horse becoming a missile if we had to make a sudden stop. I was also thinking along the lines of making a crate that would bolt to the floor of the minivan. That way, the horses would be contained within the crate and not able to move around as such. Thinking about it, some peoples dogs would be more distracting than a mini horse in a van! I've driven by people with their dogs in their laps as they drive. Dogs licking their faces, heads hanging out windows, jumping all around the car. And these are big dogs too!

I guess a big concern for me is the glass in a passenger van. Buying a commercial van would suit better for this purpose as they have the option of no windows and already have rubber flooring. The problem is that I would need to use it as a passenger vechile too with the kids.

I guess for now, I will just rent/hire a horse trailer when required. It's a big decision to make and I want to make sure I have done all of my homework. I don't have money to throw away on something that is not suitable or safe.
default_smile.png

Thanks for your input everyone.

xox Leoneie xox

Latest posts

Back