Who has used the WeeFoal 38 test?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both of their tests with very accurate results. I have probably used them 40 times or so and never had a result that I did not expect. Definitely makes managing my program easier. I like them better than pregnamare as you do not have to draw blood from the animal. At first, waiting for the mare to pee was frustrating however the vet told ne that if I used a paper towel to soak up fresh urine from the shavings in the stall it would be alright. That worked much easier than sticking a bucket under her tail mid stream.

I have have amazing success with the weefoal120. 100% correct. But the weefoal 38 tests have not been any better than me guessing, I gotten 3 of the last six mares that tested negative turned out pregnant. I won't buy the 38's any longer, complete waste of money for me.

I have had similar results to Weerunner - great luck with the 120 but guesses are as good as the 38. Once I ran a WeeFoal 38 and got a negative and ran another test on the same sample and got a positive (which was correct). Neither test was close to being expired, had been kept in refrigerator but both urine sample and test were at same temperature when the test was run. I no longer trust the Wee Foal 38 at all.

I bred three mares, one mare came into heat about a week ago, so didn't bother to test her.. The other two, the one I was pretty sure bred, other I was on the fence.. Tested both with the 38s and both negative..
default_sad.png
I'd heard from a couple others that they had mares test neg. with the 38 but pos. with the 120 or surprised by a foal., So was curious as to see what others had gotten when they used the 38s. Guess I'll wait and retest with the 120s (which Ive used several times before and have been 100% accurate, just thought I'd give the early tests a shot) and cross my fingers at least one of the two is bred..

I use the 38 day test at about 45 days to ensure better accuracy (forgot to mention that earlier) I use the tests on my mares that tend to not show signs of heat ever. Most of mine will show some sign of coming into heat and if I expose them to the stallion I can tell if they are bred or not judging by whether or not they stand. I know that this is not 100% accurate as some still react to a stud even if bred in the early stages and some do not show any signs even if not bred. I just like to know on some of them because they are not text book mares and I do not want to use up a breeding slot on my own horse if I don't have to and can reserve that one for a client. I believe the instructions on the 38 day test indicate that they are best read after 45. Try waiting that long and maybe you'll get better results. Or you could try pregnamare.

The first mare was at day 79 and the second mare would be 86 days when I tested them.. Neither have shown any heat signs since I bred them, one was stalled in the same barn as my stallion until I weaned her foal, and then she and the other mare were put out on pasture/lots not far from the stallion's turn out.. Guess I'll wait, cross my fingers and buy the 120s and try them..

Latest posts

Back