Who does CDE?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for those of you who drive in CD events. Does your horse have to be registered with AMHA/R or are they usually open events?

Is there a website that I can go to that lists CDEs and where they are? Or are there lots of different clubs and I just need to find one in my area?

What vehicle do you guys use?

I'm trying to contact Patty's Pony Place about getting a Cricket ordered. I think Clementine would make a great CD horse. She likes to go go go and is one of those horses who will try just about anything you ask them to. Even if it worries her at first she'll usually do it then prance off like "I got this!". Clementine isn't AMHA/R registered so that's why I'm wondering if they are open class.

Thanks in advance everyone. I don't have many other drivers close by so having you guys to help is wonderful.

Go to Horsedriver.com (Chimacum Tack) and read my 3 part article on CDE's. It is entitled "Ever drive a VSE"
https://americandrivingsociety.org and look at Omnibus. It lists all the events.
Horses do not need to be registered

Go to an event and volunteer (always welcome) before you spend a lot of money on equipment.

email me personally at [email protected] if you have more questions

Great thank you! I would love to go volunteer to get a feel for the events. I appreciate the info and I'll look into it.

I had never really considered it before because I assumed horses had to be registered. Then I decided I wanted a Cricket for local trail driving and it kind of spurred me into looking into doing more with Clementine.

Last edited:
They don't have to be registered, just have to make the height requirements for the VSE (very small equine) division.
Peanut did a couple of them last year and we used my Kingston cart and did OK. Wire wheels are not allowed after a certain point because they are a safety issue, but they can be used at the beginner level.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who drive in CD events. Does your horse have to be registered with AMHA/R or are they usually open events?

Is there a website that I can go to that lists CDEs and where they are? Or are there lots of different clubs and I just need to find one in my area?

What vehicle do you guys use?

I'm trying to contact Patty's Pony Place about getting a Cricket ordered. I think Clementine would make a great CD horse. She likes to go go go and is one of those horses who will try just about anything you ask them to. Even if it worries her at first she'll usually do it then prance off like "I got this!". Clementine isn't AMHA/R registered so that's why I'm wondering if they are open class.

Thanks in advance everyone. I don't have many other drivers close by so having you guys to help is wonderful.
Hi! I am slow sometimes!! I will message you back from the PPP FB page!

Hi! I am slow sometimes!! I will message you back from the PPP FB page!

No problem. I figure you guys are busy with carts and spending time with your own horses. What's the point of handcrafting great vehicles if you don't take the time to drive them ;)

Al B- the closest events to me are in CA. I found one that has a clinic as well so I may go to that one. It's in September so I have a little while to plan. I was thinking of going without a horse to the clinic and just trying to soak up as much info as I can. I've honestly never gone to a clinic but I assume there is knowledge to be gleaned even horseless? I will check into volunteering as well.

We do CDE's with our 37" pair and our 36"single mini (they aren't registered). The single is successful at Intermediate (against the big guys lol) so minis' can definitely rock at this sport!! Al B has some good advice! Enjoy!!

The cricket would be an excellent choice.

I have a 35" mini gelding, who has already done CDEs and ADS events with his previous owner. I want to do the same with him, and get us the best cart for the job. So far, I am most interested in the Mini Bell Crown and the Cricket. Could you talk about the features of each type, and would you have a preference? Thank you!

If that is directed to me I don't have any experience with either. I have a Pacific Smartcart that I haven't used for some time because I am using two 4 wheel carts (Tadpole and Glinkowski). Make sure you have steel wheels and a good flexible suspension. If they offer wheel guards (tree guards, brush guards, whatever they call them) be sure to get those. Weight is a paramount consideration. I have a formula that I use. Take the weight of the cart and harness plus your weight and divide it by the weight of the horse. You will not get under a 1 with a mini but get as low as you can. Bigger horses can get under 1. As I said I have no experience with either but just looking at the pictures the Cricket looks to be the more desirable of the 2. JMHO.

If that is directed to me I don't have any experience with either. I have a Pacific Smartcart that I haven't used for some time because I am using two 4 wheel carts (Tadpole and Glinkowski). Make sure you have steel wheels and a good flexible suspension. If they offer wheel guards (tree guards, brush guards, whatever they call them) be sure to get those. Weight is a paramount consideration. I have a formula that I use. Take the weight of the cart and harness plus your weight and divide it by the weight of the horse. You will not get under a 1 with a mini but get as low as you can. Bigger horses can get under 1. As I said I have no experience with either but just looking at the pictures the Cricket looks to be the more desirable of the 2. JMHO.

Thanks Al B! Your input much appreciated! I like your 'formula' - it makes sense. I came up with .96 for a number; using a Bell Crown's weight.

I compete in CDE's with a Frey Rebel and a Sprint for the last couple of years (training, prelim and intermediate). They work well for our minis and have no mechanical issues over the years...touch wood! My favourite is the Rebel...it's nice for my back

I compete in CDE's with a Frey Rebel and a Sprint for the last couple of years (training, prelim and intermediate). They work well for our minis and have no mechanical issues over the years...touch wood! My favourite is the Rebel...it's nice for my back

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

My main purpose for getting a mini was to compete in Combined Driving events. I purchased a Bellcrown Minicrown last year and love it! Very sturdy, comfortable, and good over rough ground. Both my 36" gelding and my 35" mare can pull it with no issues. The only change I've decided to make is to get neck collars instead of using the breast collar due to the low line of draft with the Bellcrown.

I highly recommend coming and volunteering at an event to get the feel of how things work. Everyone I've met has been kind and helpful. I love going to events and wish there were more available!

My main purpose for getting a mini was to compete in Combined Driving events. I purchased a Bellcrown Minicrown last year and love it! Very sturdy, comfortable, and good over rough ground. Both my 36" gelding and my 35" mare can pull it with no issues. The only change I've decided to make is to get neck collars instead of using the breast collar due to the low line of draft with the Bellcrown.

I highly recommend coming and volunteering at an event to get the feel of how things work. Everyone I've met has been kind and helpful. I love going to events and wish there were more available!

Thanks so much for your feedback! Great input - I just talked to another mini owner who got a Bell Crown and has had it for 9 years, still in great shape. It sounds perfect for me and Sammy. And yes, I agree about volunteering. There is an event coming up in August that I put my name on the volunteer list for. :)

Thank you for your comment. Our Cricket is the safest built cart on the market - with features that no other carts have - and ours are NOT "extra cost" options. The independent suspension is truly unparalleled - our client in Florida owning EVERY other make of cart, having compared them head to head. Her Cricket is the only cart she now drives, and has been setting records in her driving events for three summers now with it.

Attachments

• 60727506_325642091657902_4094221233254563840_n.jpg
    60727506_325642091657902_4094221233254563840_n.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 12
Barngirl2 - CDEs are a ton of fun...we love the camaraderie, the mini's love it...it's just SO much fun! I've heard some really good feedback on the Bellcrown but whatever cart you end up with...you will have so much fun :)

Barngirl2 - CDEs are a ton of fun...we love the camaraderie, the mini's love it...it's just SO much fun! I've heard some really good feedback on the Bellcrown but whatever cart you end up with...you will have so much fun :)

Definitely! I plan on it! :)

Very nice to hear that you went to a neck collar with your Bell Crown. We have done a lot of videos and written posts over the last SEVERAL years regarding the use of breast plates (and Euro collars) with a neck collar line of draft. We of course, build our carts per the harness the client wants to use, and some of ours have a second mount built into them, so the cart can be used with either breast plate, or neck collars, and be correct.

Latest posts

Back