Who do you think has the best miniature "Arabian" face?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I have noticed over the years--Mini people generally like the little short tippy ears, and Minis with longer ears are criticized for having big ears. Thing is--Arabians do not have little short ears--yes, they are well shaped, even tippy, but they are not short. Those little short tippy ears that Mini people favor are actually pony ears. So, again, more Welsh than Arab. I agree with rabbitsfizz--there are some lovely headed Minis, but they are not nearly Arabian heads.

Libertys Miss Kentucky. Type that in google, there are two good sites showing her head.
I concur.... Beautiful mare I own her full sibling brother.
default_smile.png
. Some similar Arab features....

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have noticed over the years--Mini people generally like the little short tippy ears, and Minis with longer ears are criticized for having big ears. Thing is--Arabians do not have little short ears--yes, they are well shaped, even tippy, but they are not short. Those little short tippy ears that Mini people favor are actually pony ears. So, again, more Welsh than Arab. I agree with rabbitsfizz--there are some lovely headed Minis, but they are not nearly Arabian heads.
I see what you're saying and I agree, Holly. What I like are what I call "apostrophe ears". But I do like them not to be very long (the mini enthusiast in me!). Mostly, though, it's the apostrophe (right side and inverted) that I like when it comes to ears
default_yes.gif

Seems the posts have gotten off of the OPs original ?, and I will too!

Here's a pic of one of our Arab mares as a foal -

08Jun30Ellon61.jpg

With all her winter hair, just before turning 2 yrs old. Iggy (my avatar pony) is "under" her jaw...

2010feb21el878.jpg

and last pic - running in the pasture in 2012 - 4 yrs old.

12aug17el496.jpg

And here are two head shots of our Foundation Shetland stud colt - Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard.

wizardHs.jpg 13jul10wi51028h.jpg

Neither the Arab mare nor the Shetland pony are real extreme by some standards, but they are somewhat dishy and when combined with the "rest of the package" are "OH-LA-LA" for me!

I do have some others that also fit that standard - having them wider between large eyes with a slightly shorter length from eye to nostril w/ a larger nostril also makes a head appear to be more "dishy" even if it is actually straight...

13apr15to298.jpg

Your Shetland and your Arabian are stunning!
default_blush.png
Thank you!

Both of those are actually very well bred. I've been very happy with what we've produced thus far as a small (back yard?) breeder. Wizard isn't from our breeding program, but we are very excited to see what he will sire eventually put to our fillies we've retained by Iggy. Hopefully, the "whole package" w/ the pretty head/neck as well...

And here is the other stud colt out of the chestnut and white mare pictured above. He, along with Wizard, will sire the next generation...

13jul12oly296.jpg

13jul29oly546.jpg

May also have a foal or two out of Ellon, the arab mare in my first post.

Back