Who deworms there horses in the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
I was talking to my husband and my mom and was wondering if I am even supposed to be deworming my horses in the winter.

I know it wouldn't hurt them any to deworm them but we were talking, If fly larva causes worms and there are no fly's what is the point in deworming in the winter?

I always deworm all our adult horses every 6 weeks and all our babies every 30 days this includes throughout the winter.

I deworm adults every 2 mos, and foals every month -- year round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I deworm adults every 2 mos, and foals every month -- year round.
Ditto, Jill!

fly larva causes worms
Fly larva doesn't cause worms. Each type of worm requires a host and horses are the host. The worms and eggs are able to live year year both in the host and out even under the most adverse weather conditions. It's highly recommended to deworm your horses year round for that reason!
smile.gif

Yes, of course, every eight weeks- I do not deworm my babies any more often than the adults once they have had their weaning "clear out" but the deworming schedule must be maintained through out the year.

I deworm my horses every 2 months year round and my weanlings every month till a year old.

I deworm everybody every 2 months. The only exception is in the fall I deworm every Oct-Nov-December just to make sure all the bot worms are gone.

I havent seen worms in anybody in a long time except the new colt I bought.

I do not change my worming schedule in the winter for any of my animals (goats, dogs, horses)...I keep it the same all year round - about every 8 weeks.

I do year around.

I do feet, worm and clip halter paths at the same time, every 8 weeks.

My reminder to schedule again, is when I see the halter path with a 1 inch growth. Kind of a visual reminder.

We worm after a heavy frost and then don't worm until spring, I have read numerous times that we are worming to much and the worms are getting immune to the wormers. During the summer we worm on a regular basis, and we do worm babies during the winter, but that is it. We have had no problems at all doing it that way!!
smile.gif

I worm every 8 weeks year round. I rotate wormers so you don't have to worry about the worms getting immune to the wormer.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
That is great!! I am so glad everyone is doing the same. I thought I was losing my mind. Thanks guys for your help!!

If one lives in a cold climate, it is just as important to de-worm during the winter as it is during the summer. While worm pupae are out of a horse's body, they "hibernate", and the coldest temperatures do not affect them. But when it is warmer, the pupae must use some of their stored energy, since they aren't completely inactive, which means that during hot weather they can only survive for up to eight weeks unless they make it into a host (horse's body). If one can rotate fields with a couple of months in between horses residing in them in hot weather, one could almost get away with not deworming at all, but not during the cold months... those worms can survive all winter long.
new_shocked.gif

We worm year round... big horses, little horses... I am about to start them all on Strongid C though, so I'll only have to paste worm over the summer months... down here it gets cold but not THAT cold so we don't take chances...

Chris

All animals get wormed year round here, every 6 weeks in the summer, every eight weeks in the winter. We are having a very mild winter, though, so I'm probably going to go back to every six weeks.

We deworm every other month year 'round, and have done so for many years. Have never had a problem, in fact, have never seen any worms in their stool, ever. There are so many different internal parasites, don't want to give them a chance to develop.

Also rotate the different products to cover tapeworms, etc.

Also forgot to add that after foaling, we deworm mom so that it is passed onto the foal, and then a month later deworm both.

Latest posts

Back