Who attended the Greencastle Sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the same way about the dwarfs. The one dwarf didn't bring the higher price because it wasn't dwarfy enough. The other 2 were by the same sire. Hope they don't breed him anymore!

Last year there was a dwarf that was clearly in pain and suffering and it made me sick, I had to look away, he brought close to 2K I think, can't clearly remember I was so upset.

I don't have but the 1st 16 horses and then I even missed some of those. I think after 5 pages of asking for the prices and nobody coming forth you can give it up. No one feels like typing in all the descriptions of the horses with the prices.

One thing I will say that was nice at this sale is they stopped people from talking and talking about there horse. That drags out the sale. The info is in the catalog to read, I under stand if some thing changes the mare is vet checked in foal, or not in foal. But it was getting to be pretty long with everyone talking.

It did suprise me there was only 130 horses compared to last falls totals. I would rather sell from home for reduced rates, esp colts.

In other words, there are some huge major issues in the miniauture industry and it isn't just "over breeding".

Robin,

I agree with all you said and particularly the sentence above. We at some point must stop ignoring the elephants in the room!

As for posting prices, we don’t publish prices from the Mount Airy Miniature Horse Sale or any of the other sales we manage and/or work at simply because we feel it is a courtesy to or consignors and or buyers not to. Just because a consignor accepts a certain price at a sale dose not mean they would sale that same quality horse off their farm for that price or that they are going to adjust the price on all their other horse base on the auction price. We also feel it is an injustice to the buyer who attended the sale and was able to get a nice horse for a low price because that buyer may intend to remarket the horse or introduce it into their show or breeding program and may not want the world to know what they gave for it. The buyer or seller may want to give that information but we don’t. The quality of the horse is not determined by what they gave for it and potential buyers should not base the value of the animal or its future offspring on what the current owner paid for it. We all know it you are lucky enough buy a horse that should be worth $2500 on the open market for $500 at an auction and everyone knows what you paid for it for that means that your buyer at home wants to buy it from you for $600 and considers you made a fair profit. Why they would not be glad to buy a horse that should be in the $2500 range for say $1800 is beyond me. In general people tend to look at the fact the person that had the good fortune to buy the horse at an auction for $500 is making a $1300 profit and not at the fact that if they buy the horse for $1800 they are still getting a deal since the horse normally would have been $2500 on the fair open market. If you get a great deal I see no reason you are then be expected to give your good fortune away to the next buyer that comes along because then you didn’t really get a good deal, that second guy did and he didn’t even have to go to the auction. I never understood peoples reasoning on that one unless they are not able to make their on judgment on the value of the animal instead of accessing quality based solely on price or what someone else tells them.

I actually had a guy call me one time a couple of years ago and tell me he was looking for a yearling and he describe just what he wanted. At the time we had several that met what he described and one that was right on the mark. We were trying to cut the numbers a little at the time and this guy was fairly new to miniatures so I thought I would cut him a deal and priced the colt at $1500. The guy thanked me but said he was looking for a better colt than that. He based that solely on the price I quoted him he had never seen the horse or a picture of the horse nor had he asked about its pedigree. He based his assessment of the colt strictly on price. Had I known this and priced the colt at $4500 he would have probably bought it since I heard later this was the price he had in mind and he later bought one from another farm which was not the caliber of the one I priced him.

Here's an idea,(I am sure I will get flamed for)

Wouldn't it be nice if WE LEFT IT TO THE ONES HOLDING THE SALE AND THOSE MONITORING THE FORUM?

You want to advertise with LB and pay for an ad, then you get to let others know about the sale in advance, members can ask about lot numbers, and the typical chatter that goes on before the sale like who's going and if so and so buys one can it get a ride.....nice polite conversation.

Then when the sale is over, leave it to the one who paid for the ad, the one that paid the expenses to put the sale on, the ones that invited strangers to come and visit, if they don't care then the prices and after sale chatter will be allowed to be posted, if they choose not to have any after market info issued on the LB forum, then it is prearranged when they purchased the ad.

Isn't that just a good bussiness practice?

I think If someone chooses not to advertise with LB the sale will not be discussed at all, period. Before, during, or after. They are not supporting this site, they are not permitted to free advertising by having people discuss it on the forum.

default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
, this is all said with a light heart, just my thoughts on the practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think If someone chooses not to advertise with LB the sale will not be discussed at all, period. Before, during, or after. They are not supporting this site, they are not permitted to free advertising by having people discuss it on the forum.
I second that motion
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back