White coats/manes/tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
How do you get horses with white markings(especially Paints and Apps),or white manes and tails clean,and non stained?What products work well for you?Do you like Riovista(sp?) or Quic Silver?

My all-time favourite shampoo is Absorbine Super-Poo. Terrible name, fantastic for getting whites white and any colour sparkling clean. This is my mare Sunfire's Wings Of An Angel the day she finished her Hall of Fame in halter.

ad9acbbe.jpg

My all-time favourite shampoo is Absorbine Super-Poo. Terrible name, fantastic for getting whites white and any colour sparkling clean. This is my mare Sunfire's Wings Of An Angel the day she finished her Hall of Fame in halter.

ad9acbbe.jpg

OOPS! Sorry about that. Don't know how I duplicated my reply. Bet I couldn't do it again if I tried!
default_wacko.png
:

Use DAWN dishwashing soap.

We used horsey expensive prodoucts for years-- then someone at a show with a beautiful white horse told us that is what she used. It is great.

Well, I would like to know the magic cure for pee'd-on mare's tail, as my palomino mare drives me nuts!! I have tried tying it up and she stills manages to pee on it :no:
default_wacko.png
:

After doing 4 seasons with a white medincine hat mare.

Wash the morning of the show (not the day before).

Float boots on the legs which stay on until just before going in the ring.

Wash with the normal white horse shampoo - any brand as long as it is blue. (do it at least 2 times per wash)

Lots and lots of chalk on the body.

Absorbine show sheen (not oil based) in the mane and tail.

I found that as long as the tail is washed once a week it stays pretty white (even being pee'd on).

For flaxen manes & tails as in our Omega below we never had a problem with dingy stained hair... For our mares where the hair was truly white I found keeping the tail wrapped from the last show to the first show was the only thing that worked.... Since 86 I have tried almost every shampoo on the market including clorox, dishwasher detergents & hair bleaching.

omegasept03two.jpg

You can see the clean tail on our mare below. She has now been bred to Omega & her tail is no longer wrapped. Within a few months it most likely is now permanently stained.

celebriannashowpics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a long-time shower of Pintos (big and small) I swear by Quic-Silver. I also braid and bag the white tail on my filly so it won't get peed on (as much). For the Quic-Silver, I usually wash legs and any other stained areas TWICE. I will also apply the shampoo undiluted to the legs and leave it on for a few minutes, but timing is critical. If you leave it on too long at full strength you can get purple. Compared to my big horse, keeping the minis clean is easy!! He gets body stains all the time and the minis never seem to.

Good luck.

And Cathy-H, we have one of your mares - another pinto with a white tail!! We love her to pieces.

Mary

I will definitely second the DAWN dishsoap, as a shower of a WHITE HORSE I will vouch that after using whitening shampoo, and other products, nothing...nothing worked as well as DAWN!!!

I simply wash the entire horse the day before the show, really lather up and down the tail using your hands to scruff the hair all up and down the length and really working into the ends...same with the mane - forelock I usually just leave alone unless the horse is okay with water on their face. Wash, let sit for 5 minutes while you lather up the horses body, rinse...repeat 2nd time. Repeat 3rd if you feel necessary. Tail may appear to still be a light yellowish color when wet, but believe me when it dries it is WHITE! I wrapped the tail, braided the mane and put a mane tamer on, also put a sheet on the horse and kept him inside overnight on a clean bed of shavings. Oh and also, right after the bath, slick off most of the water and then Show Sheen the crud out of the mane, tail, and any white parts of the horse! Or just show sheen the crud out of the entire horse =) Show sheen will deflect dirt and such when the horse is dry.

Horse before bath - note the yellow tail and mane:

5-6-06Chase8.jpg

Horse after bath @ show:

Chase1.jpg

DAWN!!!

default_yes.gif
:

I think Im gonna have to try the Dawn!! I really like how clean it got MiniHoofBeats mini.He looks great! :aktion033: Im sure its cheaper than expensive show products,which is good,because Im gonna need alot of it!! I have big horses,and the mare is mostly white on her body,but mane and tail are black,so Im lucky,but shes a big girl,15.2hh,so thats alot of horse to wash,and my gelding is palomino and 16hh,and if I get a mini,Id like to get a paint,so lots of washing will be needed.
default_wacko.png
: :bgrin I guess I'll just have to see what works.

I use Oxyclean on really bad dirt stains on the coat and all you have to do is wet the spot and then put some of the oxyclean powder on the spot and rub it in, let it set for about 3 or 4 minutes and then spray it off.

I use quicksilver as a shampoo and love it. I always watch the bridlepath with the Oxyclean bc it gets down in between the hairs and really lifts up all the dirt. Quicksilver has worked well for Coco though and he is mostly white.

I'm going to try Dawn out this weekend though! But oxyclean works well. I wouldnt use it on a fully white horse because it would take to long and take allot but its really good for stains and lifting dirt.

Also i have the Green Out or its called something like that? You can get it at TSC and i spray it on them about 1/2hr before a bath from time to time and rub it in where its needed for really hard stains and then wipe it off, you dont have to wash it off but i always apply it before a bath just incase.

Then after a bath satin sheen all over them and there mane & tail. I need to get a sleezy body suit or two for next year.
default_smile.png

Thank you for the compliment! I will always stick to using Dawn and Show Sheen...I too mulled over which expensive whitening shampoo's should I try but then I heard about Dawn and i'm forever sold! And for doing so much horse like you said you have to do I wouldn't want to be packing money away on expensive whitening shampoo's nuh uh =)

Good luck, post photo's of the show!

Show Sheen's something I like to,it helps keep dust and stuff off.Well,the shows'll be next year,and Id love to post pictures if I could get some good ones and figure it out.
default_yes.gif
: Hey,you have Appaloosas,the mare I'll probably show (its her or my gelding,soo..) is a Appaloosa,and shes pretty wild lookin!

after u clean it and make it not stainey..(this is for tail) put it in a tail bag.. it will make it stay clean and make it grow super long( if its taken care of) braide it in a tight but not super tight braide put it in the tail bag and tie the ends through the top of the braide... but everyday you must take it out softly brush it from bottom to top and rebraide it and put it back in... this works really well
default_yes.gif
:

I need to get some of that Green Out,or something like that to, just incase Id need it.I'll have to bath the horse the night before the show,then put in a stall overnight.My mom doesnt like me bathing them in the morning,we have to use the garden hose,and she says its to cold.Also the shows start at either 9 or 10,and we like to be there an hour before it starts,and the drive is a halfhour.I like my horses to be clean and ready to go in the morning.
default_smile.png

I did have appies yes, but for now I have temporarily put my program on hold...I miss all my babies tremendously, one is going overseas to Germany so there goes ever hoping to purchase that one back! I would love to see a photo of your appy =) I love appies!!!

Tail bags are awesome creations...I purchased the kind with 3 sections so you loop 3 parts of the tail into the section and then braid, it helps dry faster and keeps frizzles from getting out of whack! Plus they come in pretty colors =)

I had to do mine the night before the show too and keep them inside...I had to be up at 3am, on the road by 4:30am and arrive at the show at 7am for checking in and measuring before the first class started at 8am...my guy was in the 2nd class so I sure had to be there! Talk about a looooong day...I was up until midnight the night before getting everything prepared and just overall being fussy and stressed LOL!

But...it was all so well worth it =)

I did have appies yes, but for now I have temporarily put my program on hold...I miss all my babies tremendously, one is going overseas to Germany so there goes ever hoping to purchase that one back! I would love to see a photo of your appy =) I love appies!!!

Tail bags are awesome creations...I purchased the kind with 3 sections so you loop 3 parts of the tail into the section and then braid, it helps dry faster and keeps frizzles from getting out of whack! Plus they come in pretty colors =)

I had to do mine the night before the show too and keep them inside...I had to be up at 3am, on the road by 4:30am and arrive at the show at 7am for checking in and measuring before the first class started at 8am...my guy was in the 2nd class so I sure had to be there! Talk about a looooong day...I was up until midnight the night before getting everything prepared and just overall being fussy and stressed LOL!

But...it was all so well worth it =)
Yep, for shows here (I only show 4-H so far,so its just a few a year,but Id love to go to some open shows.
default_smile.png
) , I have to get up around 6:30 and get everything ready to go and loaded then get my horse cleaned up, and get dressed,after staying up late cleaning things,then not being able to sleep because Im so excited,but its worth it.She also has a baby and he's a blanket Appaloosa,Id post pics,but I dont have any good ones,and I dont know how,shes going for training in September I think,so I should be able to get pics then.
default_yes.gif
: I hope so anyway.

Sunlight dish soap l'm not sure if it's only Canadian or not is what we've used for the past 20 some years easy to find and whats left over is used for washing dishes so never any waste and under 2 bucks when on sale Dawn works the same but is pricier and doesn't rinse as well l found for us. Also works real nice getting the crunch of hoofs M/T's come out nice clean and bright no matter the color great for poopie butts on foals and bags on mares. Doesn't have the nice smell of the horse products but does the job as well if not better for a heck of a lot less..

Thats crazy I have never heard of the dish soap. I may have to try that. We've always used the blueing shampoo. Ive drawn a blank on the name.

Thiea's white mane and tail always stays clean.

Dyfra pees on hers. Sigh ~ ~I have tried just about every trick in the book.

Haven't tried Dawn yet... will do that tomorrow.

However to help keep her from peeing on her tail,, I have to keep it loosely braided up and and old sock stuck on. Have never had a horse as bad as she is about it...until now.

Have been working on it for 6 months.. we are getting there slowly.

I should have added to use the BLUE Dawn dishsoap

Latest posts

Back