Whinny For Me's 3rd and Final 2009 Foal is HERE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a beautiful, precious little boy Jill. Congratulations!! I hope Momma and baby continue to do well and adjust quickly to one another.

Oh wow... sounds like a couple anxious days! Good thing her guardian angel was making sure she was in sight
default_smile.png

He is a real looker though
default_wub.png
and it looks like everything will be fine soon
default_smile.png

Congratulations Jill! He is so adorable
default_wub.png
I hope Maddie comes around quickly for you, it looks like all of you are heading in the right direction
default_smile.png

I haven't had prolapse experience in horses but we have in sheep and there is an appliance that we would sometimes have to insert prior to lambing to hold things in place from prolapsing.

When the ewe started to lamb she would force the appliance out herself in the process.

I wonder if your vet would suggest a caslick procedure on this mare for future pregnancies? Just wondering. ..... I think I will ask our vet about prolapse and the caslick.

He's a lovely guy!

Congrats on your new colt...love his color and his name!
default_wub.png
Glad you were there to help and your mare will be OK! Have you tried to rub a towel over your mare then rub it over the foal so he has her scent on him?

Way to hang in there Jill. One of Ericas mares did that once. Of course it was when she was away at college and I was here alone. I had to call "Doc" at 2 a.m. The mare kept contracting and a red bubble kept protruding out. Doc gave her 2 shots and within five SECONDS she had completly stopped. He shined a flash light inside her and she was as clear as a bell. She (thank goodness) took right to the baby.

I hope all continues to go well, Jill. We will be thinking of you and the mom and baby. Hang tough
default_wink.png

Linda

Wishing the best for your little baby boy! Well Dun Jill!! He is beautiful. Hope all is going well with Maddie. You did a great job for your mare and her little one.

Congratulations Jill, he is a cutie pie. You sound like you had everything under control, hope Momma accepts him soon so you can get some sleep
default_smile.png

Yvonne

Been thinking about you all day - so glad to see the good news...

"Congratulations!" Jill,

What a handsome little man - gosh these little guys sure know how to keep a person on their toes - seems like every day is a learning experience.

Thanks so much for sharing - lots of hugs and continual prayers for you, Maddie and that precious little Whinny For Me's Finely Dun, a/k/a "Trooper"

Continued good thoughts for your mare and foal. She is a beautiful mare. He is a cool color- a little firecracker!
default_smile.png

Angie

Glad to see the pics of the two. I think she will probably accept him fully soon. Looks like she is well on her way...He is a cutie...

Glad to hear that things are going better now (I'm late to this thread!) and I hope they keep improving. He's a cutie colt, Congratulations!

Hi, Everyone --

Thanks for the compliments and well wishes!!!

I got up to feed him and going to try and get some more sleep. H fed some early last night and later so I got to sleep like 7-1:30 which was awesome! That's more than a lot of people sleep in a night so that's good.

Unfortunately, though, I may have jumped the gun thinking she's taking a shine to him. I will work with her and more more when it gets lighter out (worked with them so many sessions yesterday to get to stand further from them). She's pinning her ears as he nurses last night and just not too impressed with him still (seems to have taken a step backwards). She does try and bite him sometimes but so far not to kick as he nurses.

We've got some foal lac powder and some big metal dog bowls that should be hard to tip over. I'm thinking we may need to work on getting him to drink from a bowl inbetween nursing times and basically look to have him "weaned" from her extremely early. We're just not going to be able to keep up every 2 hours of holding her so he can eat long term... I think we can go to every 3-4 hours Sunday by what the vet said, but still with having a business and clients to take care of and H having to work, too... I think he's going to need to drink from a bowl if Maddie doesn't very soon come around.

Last night (Thursday night) she had cornered him in the stall and was kicking him. I was sleeping then but when H got out there, he said Trooper was screaming. I just can't even say how that made me feel for him and also about Maddie. I as afraid when it was my turn to hold her, I wouldn't be able to do it without letting her have it but thankfully she's good if you hold her and now we just have to leave the stall open so she's not forced to be in real close quarters w/ him.

Anyway, I really appreciate the comments and please keep praying along with me that Maddie will start to treat him as she has her other babies. I know we interrupted the period of time that they can bond but in hindsight, there was not another way to do it because Maddie's life was very much in the balance.

Thanks,

Jill

Firstly, congratulations on the arrival of Trooper. He sure is adorable.

I will be sending lots of good thoughts your way hoping that Maddie learns to love her baby. Poor little guy doesn't understand why his Mummy doesn't love him I bet. You are a good horse Mum Jill, hang in there.

xox Leonie xox

What a beautiful pair! It looks like momma is going to take care of him. He sure is a striking boy and hope he continues to improve for you.

B

Latest posts

Back