Whinny For Me's 3rd and Final 2009 Foal is HERE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure you are exhausted......but hang in there. Things will work out! Oh the joys of breeding minis! Congratulations.

Carol

I'm so glad he is going to be fine and like I said before, hopefully Maddie will come around soon.

Don't forget to take care of yourself during this time too, Jill.

Oh Jill, he is a cutie....sorry to hear about the troubles....I hope Maddie starts to accept him soon, maybe once she is feeling a little better....I hope. We had a mare that was like that, she just kept pushing after she had her colt, the vet did a spinal block on her, and it helped alot...but she was unsteady standing so we had to really keep a good eye on them....once it wore off she was fine...and never had that problem again after foaling... Was this Maddie's first?

Congratulations Jill, Trooper is adorable. I hope Maddie realizes she is a new Mom and starts developing a bond w/little Trooper soon. You also deserve a round of applause for keeping a cool head throught the ordeal....
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Best wishes and thoughts go to you and your new babies! heidi

Thank you, everyone
love0075.gif

5/1 "noon" update: I just called the vet b/c Maddie is stretching some like they do with ulcers, etc. She's perky and eating hay very well, and I'm sure she's got plenty of reasons to be sore. The vet wants me to give her some ulcergard for four days, so that's easy enough.

While I had him on the phone, he asked how Trooper is and I told him (he's been playing a lot today) but told him the front leg looks a little better but not much and I'm worried. He said "Oh, Jill, don't worry about that at all. That will end up fine I am sure." (PHEW!)

AND AND ANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but Maddie is now expressing some mild interest in Trooper. The last time he nursed, she kept sniffing his rear end and before I got to her, I saw she was following him around a little but still doesn't want him to get too close to her if he is the one approaching. The nursing time before this last time when she's acted better, I started telling her she needed to start taking care of him because he is her baby and all he wants in the world is for her to love him -- and then being a goober, I started sobbing. If nothing else, I think Maddie knows I was tallking about something that's making me sad. Maybe she's coming around..........

Congratulations on a beautiful colt and save on the mare, too!

Good luck with all...

Liz

CONGRATULATIONS Jill! Sending prayers that Maddie will continue to show interest in Trooper and accept him fully!!
default_luck.gif

Congratulations on an adorable little colt. Hoping Mom will come around and tend to her boy.

Thank you, everyone
love0075.gif

5/1 "noon" update: I just called the vet b/c Maddie is stretching some like they do with ulcers, etc. She's perky and eating hay very well, and I'm sure she's got plenty of reasons to be sore. The vet wants me to give her some ulcergard for four days, so that's easy enough.

While I had him on the phone, he asked how Trooper is and I told him (he's been playing a lot today) but told him the front leg looks a little better but not much and I'm worried. He said "Oh, Jill, don't worry about that at all. That will end up fine I am sure." (PHEW!)

AND AND ANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but Maddie is now expressing some mild interest in Trooper. The last time he nursed, she kept sniffing his rear end and before I got to her, I saw she was following him around a little but still doesn't want him to get too close to her if he is the one approaching. The nursing time before this last time when she's acted better, I started telling her she needed to start taking care of him because he is her baby and all he wants in the world is for her to love him -- and then being a goober, I started sobbing. If nothing else, I think Maddie knows I was tallking about something that's making me sad. Maybe she's coming around..........
Oh Jill, I'm sure your so tired and emotionally wrought..You made me cry when you said all Trooper wants is for her to love him
default_sad.png

I hope she has good litening skills and will take to that little sweet boy..

(((HUGS)))

Gosh Jill, your little guy is adorable and I'm truly sorry he's had such an eventful introduction to the world. It sounds like Maddie is coming around, and I'm glad both mom and baby are doing well. Hopefully your next update will be an even better one.

Jill, I am so glad that your mare and foal continue to improve. What a handsome colt . Please keep us updated on how they are doing. Jill big hugs for you. Take care Frannie

Hoping for good future updates, your little man is just adorable and I love his name! (Both of them.) What a little sweetie....

Leia

Congratulations Jill !! Hang in there. With your determination, love and care I am sure everything will work out alright. I have done the same thing about the sobbing.. You'd think it would go away but sometimes it just comes back and gets ya when you least expect it. Hugs to you and your mare and baby.

05/01/09 3pm Update: Just got some pictures of Maddie and Trooper. For asthetic reasons, I airbrushed out the lead rope, but I was at the far end of it with the camera (which speaks to how "mild" her rejection of him is). Just wanted to capture what I hope are the beginnings of her good intentions towards her son!!!

Trooper---and---Maddie-----050109-001.jpg
Trooper---and---Maddie-----050109-005.jpg

Trooper---and---Maddie-----050109-019.jpg
Trooper---and---Maddie-----050109-009.jpg

Oh sure is a huge step in the right direction I think before you know it she will be fine the better she feels the more she will want to deal with him.

I agree with the vet do not worry about his legs at all in fact try to not even pay attention for at least a few days I bet by Monday or Tues you see a huge improvement and wont be long before you notice nothing at all!

Oh Jill, he is just adorable and what a pretty color. I am so glad that he is ok and your mare will be ok and hope that she learns to accept him on her own... Her expression in the pics is not mean... maybe just because she was hurting so badly?

Keep us posted on how he does! And I would not worry about his legs either. He really doesnt look bad and I am sure he will be fine! I have seen worse that ended up totally normal!

I went through this exact same thing with Flirt and her baby, he also was born at 310 days. She didn't have the extended labor though, that is very weird and I also would like to hear why that happened. Anyway, my boy was rubber legged for a couple of weeks and now he is standing up just fine. It also looks like mom is starting to like him. Flirt was the same way, if she touched him all was well, if he touched her she would squeal, kick and strike. It was a very emotional time. I used clicker training to get her to allow him near her, but that probably worked because she is very clicker wise and I have a lot of experience clicking the right moments.

Anyway, congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! He is gorgeous, as expected!

Oh, sorry! I forgot to answer about what caused the contractions like she had following the labor. I asked both vets who've been helping me and they both said the same thing -- bad luck. Dr. Schmidt who is a LONG time vet and someone I admire beyond words said this is a 1 in a 1,000 type of thing. It wasn't anything that we could have done differently. So the good news is nothing to "regret" but the bad news is not having something I can say "well, I just won't let that happen again." If we hadn't stopped the contractions, she would have expelled (prolapsed) her uterus outside of her body!!! I can't even imagine. As it was, it was still inside but the vet had to push it back, and straighten its horns out.

This wasn't Maddie's first foal and talking to Dr. Schmidt and some other breeders, mares who have had this happen (the prolapse) go on to have normal pregnancies and deliveries in the future, which is a relief.

It was just really scary and really lucky. I did NOT think Maddie would foal Wednesday night. Didn't seem that close when we fed the horses at 4pm. I have been putting a buzzer on her at night and closing her in a stall to be safe, but I expected we had 2-3 more weeks. After H and I had dinner, I just glanced in the bedroom at the monitor and she just happened to have been in the stall (could have been in her pen -- door was open) and she was in labor. I could have just as easily not looked or she could have just as easily not been in the stall where the camera caught her. Talk about bad luck but with a touch of good...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back