While we're on the subject of measuring...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsefeathers

Reaction score
Upon reading on how to measure the miniatures... it says to the last hair of the mane... so here's my question... My stallion measures in at 32 inches, and a friends measures in at 32 inches. Her stallion is smaller, but the mane stops just before or right on the top of the withers... MY stallion's mane, however, stops well after his withers almost at the the start of his back... Does anybody else find that? Big horses are measured to the top of the withers... therefore there is consistancy there... I just can't get used to them being meaured by where their mane stops...lol

Chris

[SIZE=14pt]That occurs very frequently. Every horse has a different hair growth pattern. My shetland mares mane stops on the highest part of her withers! She measures right at 38 right now. I have two other fillys that the mane stops where their back starts and we have to be careful not to clip it off and make them measure taller![/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh yeah, definitely. I had a stallion years ago that showed in the 28" and under class, measuring 27.75". In all honesty, he SHOULD have measured in around 29" if his mane growth pattern had been "normal" but it went darn near to the middle of his back! Since he was a buckskin, there was no fudging by clipping it shorter as it was clearly obvious that's where it ended.

I just read this in one of my mini books. The way we measure minis was a compromise. "In the beginning" one group wanted to measure at the top of the withers, as we do big horses, and another group wanted to measure from the middle of the back! That seems so silly to me and can you imagine how many "tiny" sway back horses we might have if that's what went?

Latest posts

Back