While I'm waiting for the vet to open, ease my fea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear pooponastick,

I hope he is doing better. Let us know.

Thanks

Fran

Marty, I haven't read all the posts here and I imagine someone has already suggested...........keep him stalled............a good bedding of shavings with a layer of hay over top will give baby hay to lay on but not so much for mom to eat.

I would be REAL suspicious of joint ill. SMZ has been the med that has worked well for me. I am unsure of giving Banamine to one that young without the vet approving that. I wouldn't worry so much about him being sore as long as he is nursing well. If he stops nursing then banamine for sure. Gotta keep him hydrated.

Be sure to keep a record of his temperature. At least 2 x day.

He really needs to be seen by a vet or have meds prescribed by a vet. If joint ill, can go down hill fast if he goes septic........not trying to scare you more, but he really needs a vet exam.

Geez, I'm so sorry you are having this with your little boy.

I'm hoping it is just a 'strain' or sprain or some such, but I always look at the worst case.

Joint ill is usually real quick to correct if treated early.

Thinking of you here.

Charlotte

I had a foal with the same or very similiar lameness. The mare was somewhat clumsy and I thought she might have stepped on him. Vet checked him out and thought it was overstress on his young joints. We kept him and mom in for three days then let them out in a tiny paddock for a week then supervised turnout in a slightly larger area. By a month old he was fine to go out in the pasture and no problems since
smile.gif

Hope your little Timmy is feeling better soon!

Tammie

I don't switch to shavings till they are three weeks or so old.

Oh, Marty!!!!!!!!!! Praying for Timmy to just have a little stone bruise or something that is going to be ok by tomorrow. I feel so sorry for your vet - to loose her husband in an accident.

Hope to hear Timmy is ok soon.

Freida

Marty

You have been given some great advise. I will just say some special Prayers

for Timmy and you.
pray.gif
For Timmy
pray.gif
For Marty
pray.gif
For Marty

I will pray for Timmy to be okay, and for the weather there, and for the Vet.

Who lost the mate, and the Vet on call.

Vicky

What a terrible tragedy for your vet. I can't imagine.
no.gif
I hope she has as wonderful a support group as we are blessed with here.

Keeping fingers crossed for Timmy; hopefully it will turn out to be an non-event. Goodness Marty, you've sure had the stress lately. Here's hoping for some quiet times for you.

Saying prayers that Timmy will be better in the morning and it is just something simple as a stone bruse or Holly steping on him (OUCH). Prayers also for your vet and her family.

Prayers coming your way - for both you and Timmy

and for your vet. Hope Timmy gets better soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly is not one to be locked up and confined like she was and oh brother, we had to listen to her banging on the door raising cain all night long. She is sooooooo ticked off.

All is well we think. Jerry got me up at 6:00 am (oh that man!) and told me to come out and look at Timmy. Timmy is so much better today. We just opened up the door so Holly and he could come out into the paddock a little bit to observe. You have to look really closely to see there there is just a very slight trace of a limp left. It is there, but thanks to God he is better. I have no clue what could have happened to him, but seems to me like bedrest and good soft bedding was the thing. I am going to have to give them a little turn out today because otherwise Holly is going to tear the place down (she must have learned this from Sonny, the resident pro), but we will only have them in the little paddock for short periods of time. THANK YOU ALL for this support. I would have been a basket case without you guys.

Latest posts

Back