Which white pattern?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
I'm curious which white pattern would be most likely to cause face white without leg white?

I have two fillies with face white only; one with a LWO+ sire and the other is out of a tobiano-sabino mare (who is a grand daughter of Rowdy - don't know if the mare is LWO+ or not). [My bay stallion tested LWO- and the new stallion isn't tested, but doesn't have a white hair on him.]

I would think that LWO (Frame) would be your best bet. Altho, Splash & Sabino can also cause facial white....they also will put white on the feet.

Hhhmmm! That's interesting, if that's the case, then my "solid" mares could potentially throw some loud babies; they both have narrow blazes (I guess they might be considered "connected Star, strip and snip"), but absolutely no leg white.

Remember....I said Frame would be your "best bet". It's still "possible" for Splash & Sabino to cause facial white with no leg white in it's minimal form.
default_wink.png

Remember....I said Frame would be your "best bet". It's still "possible" for Splash & Sabino to cause facial white with no leg white in it's minimal form.
default_wink.png
Well, yes. But, it would be cool if they did throw a really loud baby. I don't think Splash is in the cards; but both sabino and LWO are. Guess, I'll wait and see.
default_wink.png

Yes, Frame (LWO) is most likely, but also very possible with either Splash or Sabino. Here is a picture of my Frame (LWO+) stallion, McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, a Rowdy grandson.
IMG1348_00_035.jpg
He's beautiful. Thank you for sharing the picture. Its amazing how minimal a LWO+ horse can be marked.

Yes, Frame (LWO) is most likely, but also very possible with either Splash or Sabino. Here is a picture of my Frame (LWO+) stallion, McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, a Rowdy grandson.
IMG1348_00_035.jpg
Let me add this picture of Woodsons Derby With A Star. Her only white is a star and a small white spot on her shoulder that cannot be seen in the picture (some tell me that is a "Birdcatcher spot"). She has tested negative for LWO. So, face white with no leg white CAN be a result of things other than LWO, most likely some form of Sabino in this case. I highly recommend testing all breeding animals for LWO to prevent the possibility of a lethal foal.

fktmp43_0117.jpg

I have a mare, star, no blue eyes no leg white, whose face white is caused by Splash.

The line she comes down has produced Blue eyes in the past, and she is LWO-.

I have never seen Sabino cause face white without leg white, but accept that, without a test, we cannot prove that, but with both Splash and Sabino, the leg white is the last to diminish when heading to minimal, and with Frame leg white is the first to go.

If in any doubt:

[SIZE=36pt]TEST[/SIZE]

Thats an interesting fact rabbitfizz. I had never thought about it but when I think of the various horses I've known witht a variety of white markings it does seem to be the case. I too own a young LWO+ stallion who has a wide white blaze and no other white on him. His sire was a wildly marked Tovero and his dam was a solid bay with no white. So based on your observation he likely does not carry either splash or sabino since they tend to retain leg white ? Interesting.

If in any doubt:[SIZE=36pt]TEST[/SIZE]

I think since I only have two stallions, I'll just test the other stallion and if he's also negative then I'm all set for my herd. My bay stallion tested negative; so if my silver buckskin tests negative, I don't have to worry at this time about testing my mares.

Latest posts

Back