Where were you on 9-11?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure most people don't know this...but most of the Air Traffic Controllers who were in communication with those planes got fired....

The majority of them were sent to therapists by their employer, the us govt. When they did not note on their medical forms that they had seen a therapist at their next physical (required by the govt), they were fired. They did not think they had to put it on there since it was the govt. who sent them to the therapist. Can you believe that? Well it's true...the union is still fighting to get their jobs back.

I was home on my last week of maternity leave. I was a Fox news junkie! They told of the first plane, and I watched with America as a second one came! I called my mom, and the school to tell them to get the tv on. I went to hang clothes on the line, using the baby monitor to listen to the news. It was a fear filled day!
default_no.gif

Isnt it weird how we have these complete pictures in our heads of exactly what we were doing, and maybe even what we were wearing when these traumatic things happen? When Challenger exploded I was just opening the Vets office, standing at the desk, can even picture what I was wearing and how the office was decorated. Columbia, I was sitting on the couch when I heard it explode, figured it was a gas well. 9/11 , I was 3/4s the way to Fort Worth to see my Dr. Can see the exact spot on the highway too, what i was wearing and what hubby had on to. For that matter who was in the Drs office and what ol Doc was wearing. Amazing since I cant recall what I had on yesterday
default_rolleyes.gif

Isnt it weird how we have these complete pictures in our heads of exactly what we were doing...
Exactly right. Challenger and Columbia didn't have a huge impact of me personally but the day President Kennedy was assassinated was the same day as my daughter's 6 week check-up. I had just pulled into the parking lot at the Doctor's office when it came on the radio. I went in and asked if they had heard the news. The people working in the office had heard it too but it was business as usual.....so there was not a lot of time to dwell on it til I was back in the car heading home. I have to admit the only other thing I remember from that day was watching the news over and over and being in total disbelief.

It's hard to believe both things happened as long ago as it's been....but they were the two blackest days in the history of America that I've lived through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on vacation, just working outside with the horses, it was just another normal day here. Then at lunch time I got in the truck & drove the mile down to the mailboxes, and while I was flipping through the pile of mail the radio dj said that one of the local churchs was holding a special prayer service for anyone that wanted to attend and pray for the situation in the states.

I immediately assumed that she was talking about the Baltic "states" and thought oh are they starting the fighting there again?? Then the dj said that if anyone was unaware, the trade center had been hit by hijacked jets and both towers had collapsed. I was horrified; I had just never for a moment considered that when she'd said "states" at the beginning that she was referring to something like this happening in the US.

I phoned home & told my mom to hurry & put the TV on, because something terrible had happened, and I went tearing down the road for home to see for myself. I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the news reports.

I was at work and one of the girls in the office told me as she had her radio on. I got up and started listening. Then my boss called and said he had been on his way to the office, but was going home to get us a TV - it was very hard to stay away from the TV. I didn't lose anyone I knew personally, but I certainly cried a lot of tears for those who did.

[SIZE=10pt]"GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR MILITARY"[/SIZE]

Barbie

I'm sure most people don't know this...but most of the Air Traffic Controllers who were in communication with those planes got fired....

The majority of them were sent to therapists by their employer, the us govt. When they did not note on their medical forms that they had seen a therapist at their next physical (required by the govt), they were fired. They did not think they had to put it on there since it was the govt. who sent them to the therapist. Can you believe that? Well it's true...the union is still fighting to get their jobs back.
That is disgraceful
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I hope the Union can make things right for those people.

I was drinking coffee and reading the newspaper with GMA on the TV. I looked up to watch just before the second plane hit.

Later that day I was outside when Air Force One flew over. I didn't realize what I was looking at until I got back in and the newscasters were talking about the president being flown back and having been at a Nebraska AFB.

A very sad day in our country.

I was in a class at college. At the beginning of the class we always took prayer requests and prayed and another student had caught that something had happened at the World Trade Center before class so we prayed for that. After class we got our radio turned on to NPR. At the time, there were no TVs on campus so they brought one into the cafeteria and the students would gather around to watch that. I remember for a while after that whenever I heard a plane, I would feel a bit of terror in my heart.

I was at work (a dental office) when one of our patients came in telling us what was going on. We didn't have a TV so I made a phone call and found that it was true. Our afternoon patients started cancelling and the staff was really upset. I remember wanting to be home with my kids and husband making sure we were all together and ok. Scary time!
default_no.gif

I was in the barn taking care of the horses and I freaked out because my mother was at the airport to take a flight to be with my sister for the birth of her third child. Of course they grounded all flights and had to come down once in the air - I went to the airport to get her and we ended up driving out to South Dakota together for the birth of my nephew Jamison - born 9 -14 -01 - a GREAT gift during a horrible time. I was invited into the delivery room and it is a day I will NEVER forget. Like I said a great distraction from the horrible tragedy that had just taken place.

When it happened I was in my history class and it was about time for class change. The tv in the history class wasnt working. I actually saw it on tv when I got to my art class.

I was working out...had the TV going and my head phones on as well. The channel I had the tv on had Katie Couric as one of the hosts/reporters....can't remember if it was GMA or the Today Show. As I was jogging, I remember seeing the towers, the smoke billowing from them and all of a sudden everything going in slow motion for me. Took my headphones off......slowed the traction belt down, and stood there watching in horror at what I "thought" was happening. My folks and family from out of state were on their way over for a visit that morning. When they arrived I went out to meet them and told them that we had just been attacked. We all went into the livingroom and watched the horrific scenes and the reporting.....we were all in tears.

This hits especially close to home for us. My brother-in-law worked in NY, just about a block or two from the towers. We could not communicate with him as the cell phones were not working at the time. My sister was frantic to get to him or just to know he was ok. Finally a day or two later at her church's office an email came in from him.....altho he was ok, he was in shock, tired and just wanted to come home. He was one of the ones that walked over the bridges to get to NJ......when he showed up on my sister's front door step, he was covered in dust powder from fallen debris. I remember 9-11 very well..........
default_sad.png

I was driving to the barn where I worked at the time and was listening to the radio. I thought it was a big, horrible joke. Something like when Orson Welles read "War of the Worlds" over the radio and it caused mass hysteria. All of us muck- rakers listened to the radio in disbelief and horror that day.

While it was happening, I was out doing my barn work. I came inside just after it happened and saw it on tv. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and I remember thinking how can it be so beautiful outside with all those people dying? I guess that sounds weird.

I think I cried so much that week that I thought that I could never cry again.

I think that a lot of Americans have forgotten what a terrible thing happened that day, Americans tend to be more forgiving and liberal than we should be. After a while TV took off all the images of the towers collapsing etc, because it was "too upsetting"

Personally, I think they should play all those tapes every year, like they do with the Kennedy assination, so that NO ONE can forget.

God Bless America!

Robin

[SIZE=12pt]I was asleep in bed with then new baby Mia. My sister called and said "GO TURN ON YOUR TV". I think we spent at least 3 days parked in front of the TV, with Mia in my lap
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

Being on the West Coast we weren't up yet when it happened but my dad turned on the radio as he left for work and heard the report of an attack on the first tower and came inside to turn on the TV. When he saw it was real he woke my mom and I and we all went downstairs and were watching as the second plane hit the tower. At first I didn't understand simply because I'd never heard of the Trade Towers (I'm in Washington, remember? The Space Needle is more my thing
default_rolleyes.gif
) and the only thing I could relate the images to was a movie. I truly thought it was some sort of movie clip; it just wouldn't process.

ErikaS. said:
I thought it was a big, horrible joke. Something like when Orson Welles read "War of the Worlds" over the radio and it caused mass hysteria.
That was my first thought too. But then they started showing images of the people trying to escape and that awful choking dust billowing down the streets and the cries of "Oh God!" it hit me hard in the gut and I had to sit down and stare in shock. The despair of the newscasters as they reported that there were fireman and police still inside, the images of people jumping from the buildings...I will never forget. I felt bad for weeks that I didn't know anyone there and wasn't personally affected when it seemed like everyone I knew was but how can anyone be untouched by such suffering?

I had to work an evening shift at the craft store and wasn't allowed to leave my checkout counter but everyone who could be was crowded around the tiny TV in the store's stockroom watching the reports all evening. We dug out the 4th of July products and sold out of flags almost immediately. So did every other store in town. We all wore red, white, and blue ribbons on our store aprons and spent a lot of time hugging each other. It was incredibly somber. Those with family in the military were white-lipped with worry.

My aunt was here visiting from California and had been due to fly home that morning- we woke her with the words "I don't think you're going home today. Thank God you're safe." Flights resumed about the time one of her adult children was preparing to make a road trip to come get her. We were all nervous until we heard she'd arrived safely.

I can't remember now if I started university a week later or a year and a week but I know the campus was resounding with sorrow in September as we remembered the fallen. I went out and bought every news magazine I could to keep for my children so that someday they would know what it was like. My parents and grandparents have newspapers from D-Day and the Kennedy assassination and Pearl Harbor, now it was my turn. I wish to God it wasn't.

Leia

i was in bed, half-asleep...sleeping in. I was due in just a few short weeks to have my second son, Brandon.

I heard my Dad say something as he walked down the hallway outside my bedroom door (he and my stepmom were here to help welcome baby Brandon).

"Flo, the World Trade Center...airplanes just hit it."

I couldn't really understand what he was saying, but it stirred me from sleep, and I ran out to the living room to see a clip, which to me seemed as though it couldn't be anything BUT a movie clip, though it looked far too real.

The announcers and my parents both helped drive the reality home. They had been awake longer, and obviously better informed. I was terrified and felt very vulnerable.

I remember feeling in a fog all morning, and trying to transfer the fear to a worry for my health, for the health of my baby, in order to get a grasp on the grieving for all those lives.

I found out soon that my stepmom's neice, Robin, who works for the USPS in the Trade Center, was there, but had gone outside to get something from her car, and so had been safe at one time, but no one had heard from her in hours. Her husband had seen the attack from the Staten Island Ferry as he was on his way in to Manhattan to work, himself. The ferry had turned around...I could only imagine how Joe felt leaving his wife behind, not knowing her fate.

Luckily, she made it uptown and ultimately to home, but it was many hours for her husband and young son.

We watched the news for several days solid and we were just wracked with stress. I remember feeling very angry at the fuel stations that suddenly began charging tremendous prices for fuel as a knee-jerk reaction, and wondering how they could be so greedy and add to the distress of the nation in such a way.

My husband was in Dutch Harbor at the time, and he was scheduled to fly home just a day or two before my scheduled C-section. I was certain he wouldn't make it...he himself didn't hear about the attacks until about a week later due to their isolation.

I remember wishing I'd had another week of innocence. Things have certainly changed since then.

The ensuing anthrax fears and every other concern related to the attacks probably heaped up to contribute to an unusual experience with post-partum depression. I just felt so helpless in the face of what had happened to all of those people...in the name of an extremist religion.

Liz

Latest posts

Back