Where to Start Finding a Trainer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirocky

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about deciding on a trainer, but I am thinking about sending Mac to a trainer next year to start in harness, since I have only worked one horse in harness and never actually hitched her. My knowledge about driving is very limited and I would like to do this right. I searched on the forum but didn't really find anything.

I'm not even sure where to begin. I looked at the AMHA website and found nothing. There are only listings on the AMHR for California and Texas... definitely out of my area.

What price am I look at for a good trainer? I don't plan on showing, i would rather just pleasure drive. (And I really hope this type of post is allowed, if it's not I apologize!) I just really want a good foundation on him, and some help learning to hitch and drive. I don't want to leave the state, and central KY would be even better.

I'm very thankful to have such a wealth of knowledge here! I have ridden and shown full sized horses for years, but it's funny how different minis can be. ;)

Don't limit yourself to minis-only trainers... There may be someone who specializes in bigger horses nearby. I myself started with draft horses.

This comes up a lot on the Driving forum - you might want to check there. As said, don't limit yourself to mini trainers. I work with Morgan trainers and am taking lessons with a dressage RIDING trainer to improve. To get you started, try the American Driving Society website at www.americandrivingsociety.org, check regions and look for a Club in your area. Join the Club too - most of our new members have minis!

Do some research for clubs in your area, both mini, and general driving clubs for all size horses. Join the club or clubs if you can. Then, ask some of the members who they recommend. If a name keeps popping up from several different people, that's usually a good sign.

In our area, we don't have the shows during the winter so trainers are very willing to take on a project like yours. Once early Spring hits, they get swamped with clients' horses who need to get started for show season.

K, I will check it out. I did a forum-wide search, but not a whole lot turned up. I will have to browse through the threads.

Will a full sized trainer have a mini harness and cart though, or do I have to provide my own? I have not invested in the equipment yet. Guess I thought of it like the fact if I wanted my Rocky trained, I would go to someone who trains Rockies. ;)

Unfortunately there are no clubs listed in the Southeast region, for whatever reason. I missed the big driving event at the horse park, I guess I will have to wait until next year to go see it.
default_sad.png

What is a normal price range for driving training? Am I looking at the same price as a full sized horse?

A trainer might not have a cart and harness... But don't you need to invest in one anyway? What's the use of a broke horse if you can't keep it going?

All horses drive the same regardless of the breed...

It may be pretty close the same cost as breaking a full size horse. Trainers charge for their time and expertise... And a mini takes the exact same time and expertise as a draft horse. The only savings you might get is in the board aspect... They eat less!

Why don't you email Laura Tennill from Ten L Training Center. She is in Kentucky and you won't find a sweeter person. I love Laura and Joe......both are super.
default_wub.png

www.tenltrainingcenter.com / [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I third Laura and Joe of Ten L Training. Your horse will never be in better hands and you will also learn as they are some of the very few trainers who have time for beginners/amateurs. I LOVE them and would never hesitate to put a horse with them.

Last edited:
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about deciding on a trainer, but I am thinking about sending Mac to a trainer next year to start in harness, since I have only worked one horse in harness and never actually hitched her. My knowledge about driving is very limited and I would like to do this right. I searched on the forum but didn't really find anything.

I'm not even sure where to begin. I looked at the AMHA website and found nothing. There are only listings on the AMHR for California and Texas... definitely out of my area.

What price am I look at for a good trainer? I don't plan on showing, i would rather just pleasure drive. (And I really hope this type of post is allowed, if it's not I apologize!) I just really want a good foundation on him, and some help learning to hitch and drive. I don't want to leave the state, and central KY would be even better.

I'm very thankful to have such a wealth of knowledge here! I have ridden and shown full sized horses for years, but it's funny how different minis can be. ;)

If you are willing to travel to Ohio, that's where I am. I have over 20 years of experience with miniatures, and can provide you with references. I also migth be able to assit you in transport if needed as I have several clients in Kentucky that make trips up here and I go down there from time to time. You can e-mail me at [email protected] website: VersatilityMinis.com or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1131235120874.2020095.1227142136&type=1#!/VersatilityTraining

Just a word of "caution" if I may. Make sure that the trainer you choose is aware that you want a pleasure trail horse...not a (breed) show ring horse. From what I have seen and heard, a horse "broke/trained" for the show ring, is not necessarily a safe, sane, truly trained for the trail kind of horse. Generally speaking (exceptions exist) the horses that go around the ring, checked up and breathing fire, don't make the safest driving horses outside of a (breed) show ring.

I see Ashley spoke up, I can vouch for her, she has trained a few harness horses for us and has done a great job.

I wouldn't hesitate to send another horse to her, as a matter of fact I am wrestling with that thought again, have to decide fast. The only reason it is a debate is that means the horse won't be an AOTE horse next year, but I want to get her started in harness and I never get around to getting her going. Of course, I could get her there and pick her up New Years eve.....

Hmmmmm. Better give her a call, we are running horses all over Ohio on Saturday.

I can't speak for Kentucky, but the cost down here for mini training is still substantially less than big horses. Most of the big horse trainers in this area who show competitively are in the $900/month range, others to just start your horse are generally at least $700. Minis are likely to be half that much for a good trainer.

Most will want you to bring at least your own harness, something you will need to have anyway.
default_smile.png

Jan

The Bluegrass Miniature Horse Club is in Kentucky. We have a website that you can visit. It is www.bluegrassminiatures.com. There is a membership list on there. We currently hold our meetings in Shelbyville, KY. We sponsor an AMHR and AMHA show each year, plus do a couple other demonstrations or parades. We did demonstrations at the Breyerfest and Secretariat festivals this year. We would love to have you join our club if you want to. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Laura and Joe are members of our club.

Glad you posted this, I am taking Blondie to Ashley on Saturday and picking her up on December 31st so I can still show her in AOTE.

BTW, Ashley has a special winter rate for training.

Thank you for all the info, and thanks Ashley - I will send you an email. I am not sure if I want to trek up to Ohio, but I will certainly keep you in mind, since your horses look lovely.

I will also look into Laura and Joe - if I do send him there, I will certainly send him off-season. Maybe I can save up for late fall and have him ready by spring.
default_smile.png

I know I need to buy a harness and cart, however I figured if I went ahead and put him in training, it would give me some time to get the money together, that way by the time he's ready, I wil then have a cart. I'm also trying to save for a trip abroad and several other things, so I have to budget accordingly. I think that having him trained is the most important thing, especially since I imagine it would take more than 30 days to have him ready to go. That would give me an extra 60-90 days to get that cart.

Thanks for the mention about him being trained for pleasure driving and not show - didn't even think of that.
default_smile.png

I would recommend sending him to Laura and after she evaluates him she can guide you in the purchase of a harness and cart that will best suit your needs. Plus, she will never waste a dime of your money. She will make sure you don't over buy or over pay for what you do buy. Good luck with him! I think it's great to save for your tack while he's being trained.

My husband and I train cart horses for both the ring and for the trail and Sue_C is exactly right. The training and set up is a little different for a "ring"horse than a trail horse. It can be detramental with a green horse, so be sure to tell your trainer what you plan to do with your horse. Be sure and ask him/her about the training techniques and schedule . You will hear everything from 3 months of ground driving to, something I just heard about ... Throwing fire crackers at the feet to inspire alertness, or bombproofing, not something we would do but, All trainers have different techniques, so I would shop around in your area. It does not mean you can't drive your horse in both the ring and the trail eventually. Training in this area will run you approx. $350-$575 a month total with board , and it does seem that the larger horse trainers charge a good deal more. Good luck with your new driving horse and Have Fun!!!

There is nothing that says you have to have an arena or ring to train your horse either.

Our AMHA World Champion and multiple top ten in both AMHA and AMHR stallion SF Mahogany Bay was 100% trained on rail trails and never saw a ring until the AMHR Nationals as a 3 year old (folks do not try this at home!). He made his cut in a huge class, and then went on to place top ten in his futurity at AMHA and then had a very successful driving career from there. Never went in a ring anywhere except at shows.

We don't spend a lot of time on ground driving, it is up to the horse. If the horse takes to it quickly, has a very SOLID WHOA and consistent steering and moving forward, we move right on to walking with the cart behind but not hooked, then hooked with no person, then hooked with a person and someone leading, then on our own.

Short days, work schedules, and a nasty arthritic knee makes sending Blondie to Ashley for starting more attractive and well worth the investment for me and then I can finish her on the trails.

Latest posts

Back