Where to live

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been thinking of moving for a while now, and would like to know where you live, if you like it, pros and cons of living there including taxes, weather, grazing, cost of upkeep for property, cost of owning horses etc. Also any ideas of land values and current going rates. Would have 10-15 horses, mostly minis. I'm ultimately looking for somewhere I could work horses year 'round (no snow!). And if you know of any websites where I can look up horse-specific property that would be great! Having a hard time finding anything that caters just to horsey people. Thank you for any help and information.

If you want to work horses year round, no snow, then head to Florida. We worked horses all year round easily, accept we always took off the month of August because of the extreme heat seems to peak in that month.

The cons of Florida is of course:

* the wet weather and tropical storms that can devestate you and flood you

*extreme heat

*extreme bugs

*lack of pasture (since Florida was once underwater, the grass is sand based and you do not get good grass unless you are towards the north)

*sand colic

*cost of decent hay is usually between $4.50 if you want the home grown stuff or

*$7.50+ for some "imported" T & A

*taxes ate us alive

We are now in Tennessee. The taxes are so cheap it's funny. For my mountain home on 5 acres it's less than $300. a year. For my 15 acre farmland in the valley which is for sale it's $120. a year

There are many pros:

*we do not get much snow: mostly a couple of inches then it usually melts right off

*climates are great in every season, winters are not horribly cold and average about 35 degrees where I am

*pasture grass is everywhere and abundant

* cost of decent hay starts at $2.00 then goes up depending on what you get

*land is abundant and averages about $2500. per acre and up depending on where you are

Go to

www.realtor.com

It's fun!

We live in Colorado and I must say, I love it

Pros- cheaper taxes, property ect.

cheaper hay

abundant land

fair weather

Cons

snows in the winter

can get VERY hot in the summer

We were in a 7year drought where we lived

I live in Northern California. There are really a lot of pros I think. Lots of horse shows within driving distance. Lots of feed stores so you can be choosy. Where I am, there are many vets and a good hay supply grown locally. Lots of mini people near by too. Other advatages are, We are two hours to the ocean or the mountains. We can go snow skiing and water skiing in the same day. Lots of good shopping for anything you could ever want. Very close to all sorts of other sports events and facilities. Close to tons of concerts and theater shows. Good arts and museums programs. Great colleges and many very close by. There are more I am sure but those are the ones I am thinking about while I determine where we move if we ever get to teh point we need to.

Cons, VERY high housing costs!!!!!! Average in town home price is over four hundred thousand. A seven hundred square foot condo is going for 180 thousand. People can be very self absorbed and Yuppie-ish around here. Traffic is always bad. Gas prices are some of the highest in the country always! Too many people. Schools are over crowded to an extreme. Poor school systems are the norm and not the exception. It is very hot here. We had 102 degree heat just a couple days ago.

I wish you luck in your search. Let us know what you decided.

I guess the Northwest U.S. is out if you don't want snow.
unsure.gif
Otherwise, I'd be recommending it.

You may be narrowing your search to the southern half of the states. Florida, Texas, South California, parts of New Mexico and Arizona all come to mind. There's also Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma...... I've been through them all and they all have positive and negative points.

Good luck,

MA

Georgia

pros Nice winters, snow once every 2 yrs for a day or so. Cheap land in some areas.

cons, HOT HOT HOT in summer, bugs, low paying jobs, not many horse shows within 6 hrs

We are From New Hampshire

Pros

Good pasture

Lots of land

Cheap Hay

Up North is more rural

South is more suburban

Lakes, Ponds, Lots of wildlife

Good amount of miniature shows

Long days in the summer

A whole coast of beach

Near Boston and New York

Cons

Snows in the winter (Usually always under 7 inches)

Bugs can get bad

Very warm in the summer

Your key words were NO SNOW! Sunny Arizona has very little rainfall, most areas have no snow OR ice, unless you get into the mountains and we have NO humidity either. Our 112 feels much cooler than the 90 degrees in states with humidity.

If you want pasture, I would look in the 'grasslands' areas of AZ, or places where they offer irrigation. (no it is not all desert here) We do work horses year round, just early morning or late evening in mid summer when it is the hottest - we ride all winter long and in addition to the summer things, we have wonderful water sports on the lakes here.

Laurie

You should move near me. Land is inexpensive and it's really quiet. Winters are cold but not too much snow usually. I need a mini person nearby to share with.
rolleyes.gif

Where I am in the Pacific NW (near Seattle) snow is a rarity. It's that rain that will kill you! LOL. Although seriously, our weather patterns have been changing drastically the last two years and our winters have been really dry. We're a bit worried about keeping that "evergreen state" designation at this rate!

If you have an indoor ring with lights training in the winter is no problem. It never gets that cold (we think it's an ice age if the temperature drops to 30) and it doesn't get that hot in the summer either. Like, people are sweating hard at 80 and if it hits 90 they claim it's too hot to move.
laugh.gif
Then again, that's because most of us don't have A/C to deal with that weather like areas that get it frequently.

There are mosquitos but no biting horse flies, poisonous snakes, or other nasties. The worst we have is two kinds of poisonous spiders. Oh, scary. I've been here 23 years and never seen one.
rolleyes.gif
No tornados, tropical storms, or other devastating seasonal weather. We have several volcanos that periodically think about going off, but unless you live on the slope of one the worst you're going to get is ash even if they do ever blow. We get earthquakes, but only rarely and usually minor. Again, the occasional devastating one in any given historical period.

Housing really varies all over the state, but no matter where you live the developers are moving in and trying to take over.
no.gif
There's still some great horse property though. East and West of the mountains are REALLY different, you can get a whole different climate in one hours drive. It's a nice place to live though!

Leia

O- Is for the over welming amount of grass/hay.

K- Is for the knee high grass in most pastures around here.

L- Is for the low cost of land/taxes.

A- Is for the fresh air /clear blue skys.

H- Is for the horse friendly people.

0- Is for the oh man but we need some rain right now
sad.gif

M- Is for me
biggrin.gif

A- Is for the almost never snows/ mostly no lower than 35 in the winter.

One of the pros about Florida is no state income tax.

Reading all the posts seems there are bugs everywhere. LOL

wub.gif
I LIVE ON THE NEW HAMPSHIRE SEACOAST, THE PROS = NO SALES TAX, EVERYTHING IS CLOSE BY (STORES ETC.), THE WEATHER IS PRETTY MILD ON THE SEACOAST MOST YEARS BUT LAST YEAR WE GOT HAMMERED, IT IS VERY BEAUTIFUL HERE. THE CONS = I HAVE TO DRIVE EIGHT HOURS TO GET TO AN AMHR RATED SHOW, THE OPEN SHOWS HAVE JUDGES THAT DO NOT KNOW MUCH IF ANYTHING ABOUT MINIS THEY ARE NOT CARDED, THE PROPERTY TAXES ARE HIGH, THE TRAFFIC IS HORRIBLE 9BELIEVE ME DRIVING HERE IS QUITE A CHALLENGE, THERE IS A BUILDING BOOM GOING ON RIGHT NOW LAND IS VERY HARD TO FIND AND VERY VERY EXPENSIVE! LINDA B
new_shocked.gif

Lots of good horses, plenty of horse shows and wonderful equine vets here in central Texas. We do get snow........maybe once every 5 years or so.
biggrin.gif
Winters are mild, summers can be brutal but AC makes everything tolerable lol.

Land prices have gone up as people have moved in, but still nothing like California. NO state income tax either.

Jan

I'm in New Mexico. Some love it, I personally hate it.

Pros:

Wide variety of terrain

No humidity

Scenic places to see

Some land is reasonable

Not too hot in the summer. Has gotten over 100 several times.

We do get snow but not a lot. Usually in the higher altitudes or in the flats.

You can work your horses year round.

Cons:

We are #49 in poverty out of the 50

We are in the top 10 for State Taxes

Our school systems are pathetic

Land has gone up. Some land is cheap....but you get what you pay for.

Not a lot of pasture land.

Goverment owns a lot of land as does Ted Turner and a couple other well to do folks.

People are extremely rude.

They don't call us the Land of Mannana for nothing!

Where I live, an 1500 sq ft house on 1 acre is going for about $250k. That's in the sand dunes too.

Only 2 horse shows. One is the State Fair.

Dimimore said:
You should move near me.  Land is inexpensive and it's really quiet.  Winters are cold but not too much snow usually.  I need a mini person nearby to share with.
rolleyes.gif

417624[/snapback]

No you can't have them I need one here and we don't have any snow for a least 15 miles away.
laugh.gif

Well I live on Vancouver Island in beautiful British Columbia...

Lets see here...Hmmm...

We have the ocean

There are lots of great people here

The land is great

The weather is beautiful...the worst thing weather wise is rain. We do get snow but not a whole lot (depends where on the island you are) and only for a short amount of time. Usually just around end of december/early january. It does get hot but our boiling hot is about 30degrees celcius. So actually not that hot...

Depending on where you are it can be expensive to buy and for taxes. For example in my area houses are a minimum of $500,000 canadian for just one acre. However if you go about 1hour up the island to where we are hoping to move in about a year....you can get land for great prices and not huge taxes. For example I want this one piece of land that is 97acres and it's $450,000 canadian.

I honestly can't think of any cons about where I live. Oh maybe that if you're travelling to shows a lot you need to take the ferries with the horse trailer and that can get expensive. But even though people complain the BC ferries are one of hte cheapest as far as ferry routes go in the world. I totally reccomend moving here...although don't tell anyone from the island I told you that because we don't like telling people it's nice here...Then everyone moves here! haha.

We're in Northern California too in the Valley.

There is lots to do, great climate most of the year (too hot in the summer!), lots of mini people which can be a good thing or bad, depending which ones you're around! Lots of activities available, easy to get around, etc. Everything Minimama said.

Downside - expensive and getting higher priced. You have to be fairly remote for it to be not expensive.

Heres a little different perspective on Arizona.

Pros:

3 hours from snow and skiing in the winter.

Nice winter weather, can work horses almost all year.

Cons:

July and AUgust can be REALLY hot plus humidity as that is our monsoon season.

Heavy traffic

high land prices

the old farms are being developed so finding irrigated land is difficult.

There is only 1 AMHA show per year.

This year (2005) there was only 1 AMHR show, they are hoping for 2 next year.

115 is hot whether there is humidity or not and as I said earlier you have to add humidity to that in July and August. Not through all of both months but enough to get your attention.

We have poisonous snakes, spiders, fly's , mosquitos.

Plenty of sand colic.

Did I mention its hot.
wink.gif

Robin

I love our farm....

The clime is mild, mostly rain, but we do get some snow now and again, it is what I call warm snow. Unlike NH.

The pastures stay green most of the year.

Very few bugs, so great for being outside.

No poisonous snakes!

Not much traffic in this area.

Oregon in this area, is pretty laid back.

No so good points,

The property taxes are really high!

The price of land, while not as Bad as CA, is pretty high. Unless you are willing to go to areas where land is cheaper.

The school system isn't the greatest

Latest posts

Back