where oh where

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some help on where to look, I have been on dreamhorse and equine and equinehits .com .....is there any other secret spots to be able to search for a childs beginner pony??

thanks

Terri

Not that this is going to help you much but just wanted to share my pony story.

I got my first pony for $50.00 out of a classifield ad book. On the way there my father told my mother & I not to expect too much for $50.00. Well we got the BEST little POA gelding in the world! He rode & drove. We paid more for his saddle then we did for the pony. LOL!! He was gorgeous with a heart of gold! He lived up into his mid 30's. I got him when I was 8 and lost him in 2001. He was a gentleman right up til the end!

Good luck with your search!

Have you attended any horse & pony shows for a show pony "sadly outgrown"?

hi,

thank you...I am looking for a pony between 12 and 13 H.....already broke and ready to teach my daughter to ride....would like an older pony...over age 10.

thanks

Terri

Terri you and a lot of other people are looking for that same pony
wink.gif
The only advice I have is get the word out go to some 4H shows and or pony club shows look in the local paper and don't give up........we have an oldie at home who is only suitable for the very beginner he is semi retired and only partially sound due to previous multiple founders
sad.gif
two of the kids were well on their way to too big for him by the time we found him......we are looking for a bombproof 13 - 13.3 hand pony and have been looking for well over a year.......many of the great ponies are either raised and made or passed to new homes through word of mouth.....if you can take your young one for riding lessons and start the riding education that way until the right pony comes along.....

good luck

Rori

England!!!
laugh.gif
Long way to come but we are knee deep in really good, honest, children's ponies. We have no tradition of children riding big horses so they start at 10hh and go up from there. From serious, top, Show quality right through to plain, honest workmen. I can understand people not wishing to pay to import an ordinary Pony but I would have thought someone would have got wise to the incredible Show Ponies we have. They are truly breathtaking.

runamuk said:
Terri you and a lot of other people are looking for that same pony
wink.gif
Boy, Rori, did you ever hit the nail on the head! That's the problem I'm having right now. Everyone who calls on ads I put in papers wants one that has a little age and is already trained for everything. Mine are just too young for them. But then, that's the way our society is in almost every area (TV dinners anyone?).

i have said over and over there is beginning to be a very good market for well broke kids ponies. I happened upon a great one but he was a bit small for my 12 yr old son---he sold so fast it would make your head spin. also my friends and i just saw a well broke shetland mare with a foal by her side sell for 350.00 it almost killed me! i had no idea the bid had stopped or i would have bid for sure.

I must admit I do not have the time to train a youngster.....but I have kids who can ride so even a sensible green pony would work and I am having a tough time finding one of those.....however there are quite a few very nice yearling to two year olds out there .......I was quite spoiled all those years on the pony farm out of 55 horses and ponies we had close to 15 level headed middle aged been there done that ponies (most of them were given to us or rescued) ranging in size from10 to 14 hands......the majority were 12 hands to 13.2 oh how I miss all those ponies......

Back