where oh where have the good shoers gone

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I am having the DARNEST time finding a farrier that will do my minis. You know, its not like they are little monsters, in fact they are for the most part very polite. I myself am an optimist, outgoing, honest person who just wants to find a STEADY, DEPENDABLE, farrier. Am I asking too much?? What can I do????? Desperate in Centrel Texas...there ...I feel better...and my horses feet are growing as we speak....sigh
unsure.gif

Where in Central Texas are you located?

Chris B.

Edited to say... you might check www.americanfarriers.org or www.horseshoes.com... just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I know!!!! I always have the hardest time finding someone to do my minis feet to!!!!! It's like what's the problem guys?!?!?!?!?!?!?! If anyone knows someone who's good with minis in the San Diego area, let me know!!!!

hprsefeathers...we are near Fort Hood/Killeen area.......better yet we are between Waco and Austin...thanks I will check those sites out...this is so unfair...how hard is it to trim thier feet..jeez.

smile.gif

I am a farrier, but sorry guys I live in the northeast. It is hard to find a farrier

to do minis and a lot of it has to do with the ego on some of these guys. The best

way to find one is to contact a farrier supply close to your area, a horseshoeing

school, or your local vet. Some horseshoeing schools actually have a short course

to learn to do your own. [However, some schools are better than others.] I have

minis and my husband is also a farrier but he won't touch MY horses. [He's afraid

if he messes tham up he'll be in the doghouse! If you are going to nationals look

me up and I'll show you how to trim your own. Linda Best
wub.gif

I had a farrier for years and years that did my big horses and when I got into minis he wasn't thrilled, but did them for me, even giving me "cute baby" discounts and doing our baby free last year because she would lay in his lap for her trim. His problem was he was just so tall and lanky and had so many aches and pains that doing the minis was just plain painful. He actually just got out of the business because he got some other job and I was sorry to lose him. My new guy though has minis and big horses of his own so I really love him - he does a really good job and is great with the horses. He also is really tall and lanky - like 6'5" or so - and his height makes it hard on his back and all his "war injuries" from years and years of rodeo and such really took a toll on him and he has to take breaks from crouching down to do the minis. He drives a long way to do my horses and I am always fearful he will decide he is too busy to keep me as a client.

Are most farriers this tall???? Seems like over the years all the ones I have used have been tall and lanky.

Our farrier school here offers a really good two week horse owners course that I keep thinking about taking, it is $1,200 so a little pricey but I hear it is very thorough and worth the money. At this point that thought will have to be on hold until the baby is born. Pretty soon I won't be able to see my own toes, let alone the horses.

Well, after lots of answering machine messages left, I finally got a farrier to call me back... told me he would come out ASAP, and would call back when he could come. Called back a few *weeks* later to say he would be out in the next few days and would-yep- call me back first. Never did hear back from him though
no.gif
Finally had to get myself a rasp and do them myself. Sure wish I'd had nippers too... hooves are hard to rasp for long!

Latest posts

Back