Where do you keep your paperwork?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainViewMiniatures

Reaction score
Hello to all on this cold day in New England!

I notice that from time to time there is a post about missing/lost paperwork. Just thought a post on how everyone keeps theirs organized would help everyone- from those who have no system to those who have a great system! I am always looking for ways to improve and fine tune especially since the paperwork and upkeep of it is so important.

Well here's mine.

I use 3 ring binders and plastic protector sheets - each tab has a horse's name, then 1st page is a copy of the registration, 2nd page is the next registry, then copy of transfer reports, bill of sale, sales contracts, coggins certificate, breeding, pedigree etc,etc - all paperwork for each horse goes in it's tab. Original registrations are kept in my safe deposit box.

I do not keep individual medical,hoof care, breeding records unless there is a piece of paper generated (ie the coggins or rabies certificates, breeding certificates) as I keep all that info on my computer (backed up!!) by year because with 28 horses (AQHA and Minis) it is much easier to have a master list with breeding,farrier,worming and vaccination history so I can see it all at once. When I sell a horse I just cut and paste their history to a blank page, print it up and give to the buyer.

I also separate the horses alphabetically by name in a binder (Breeding horses kept in 2 binders labeled (you guessed it!
default_smile.png
) AQHA Breeding Horses , AMHA/AMHR Breeding Horses, AQHA Sale horses and AMHA/AMHR kept in another binder)These binders are kept in my office on a shelf within easy reach.

In one more binder for the barn/tack room- I keep 2 or 3 copies of all the sale horse info (registrations,coggins,rabies,print up of hoof,medical worming,pedigree etc ) so this is right at hand when showing a horse to a prospective buyer- for a serious buyer I can give them copies to take with them in a folder with our business card. One set of the copies is marked FARM Copy in red so I can keep them when I sell the horse (then put in a binder by year sold marked Sold Horses with a copy of the transfer and bill of sale etc) - I also put notes on the back of the registration noting price, if firm or obo and any other items that may be interesting to a buyer so that if my husband is showing the horse he has all the info he needs.

I also bought a bunch of 1/2" binders from Staples or Office Max for about $1 a piece so that when I sell a horse, I put everything in it for the buyer and a checklist of what to do (for whatever registry)in front with envelopes addressed so they only thing they have to do is add a check and mail. I put copies of all paperwork to registry (transfer,reg certificate) for them also. Oh, I also put pictures especially baby pics if I have them.

2 last things I do - Keep a horsy to do list and a master file of all the horses I have ever owned- soon as I buy one or one foals it goes on the list, name, dob, registry, number, color, date acquired, date sold or death

Didn't realize this would be so long!!! I'm hoping this helps someone but I am also hoping that someone can give me new ideas too!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks!!

I keep all mine in a 3-ring-binder inside a folder that has plastic inserts in it AND i keep my membership cards in their as well. I also have about 2-3 copies behind each actual registration paper for show purposes. I have a scan of each registration papers on my computer along with registration numbers that i can see more clearly. I scan and keep everything on my computer as well as the back of my binder.

I have a separate binder where i keep my show bills, class list and show schedule. That is the binder i take to shows and i always put a copy of the registration papers in that binder before the shows of the horses i'm taking. If i do take my actual registration papers to shows they stay in my car at all times.

All my info about each individual animal goes into it's own file folder inside my file tower. if I put it aside and say...I'll do it later...It''s a goner! Lost! PLUS we are in a MAJOR overhaul of the entire house which makes everything more confusing!

Every dog, cat and horse has a file of it's own. I only carry copies of things around in a binder.

JODY! GET BACK TO WORK!

I also keep all my registrations in a 3-ring binder in sheet protectors. I keep the papers in order of the horses I use them for the most (makes sense in my mind). I keep the coggins and any notes I get about the horse when the vet is out to do something behind the horses' registrations and coggins. As far as vaccinations and deworming, I keep that schedule on a calendar.

Mine are in folders in a file cabinet but like I said in another post, I did lose some papers for a bit. I had them out for something and didn't put them back when I was done which I should have and I wouldn't of been running around here like crazy hunting for them.

I like the sheet protector idea.

Leslie

I keep all mine in a 3-ring-binder inside a folder that has plastic inserts in it AND i keep my membership cards in their as well. I also have about 2-3 copies behind each actual registration paper for show purposes. I have a scan of each registration papers on my computer along with registration numbers that i can see more clearly. I scan and keep everything on my computer as well as the back of my binder.

I have a separate binder where i keep my show bills, class list and show schedule. That is the binder i take to shows and i always put a copy of the registration papers in that binder before the shows of the horses i'm taking. If i do take my actual registration papers to shows they stay in my car at all times.

I like the show ring binder idea! My paperwork is always stuffed in the magazine holder in the LQ part of the trailer but a binder is so much better - Thanks for the idea Leeana - I had my daughter looking for you at the FFA at National Convention this year but so many of you amidst a sea of blue and gold jackets!!!

My mom keeps all my paperwork because I lose it otherwise. She has my horses in with hers. What she does is have a 3 ring binder, boys in one, girls in another. She then puts all the papers into plastic sheets. The horses are in alphabetical order.

Is there ever a reason to take the original registration certificates to a show or should those stay home?

I do things pretty similar, though I probably could be a little more detailed...

In a three ring binder I have on the first page my current health certificate then on the following pages I have all the horses in alphabetical order with those clear plastic page protectors and copies of registration certificates on one side and the current coggins on the other. Their height cards are tucked inside on top of the copies of registration papers. In a pocket in the back I slip receipts and misc. paperwork or notes.

farrier, dental and vet work (shots) are all usually done at the same time on all the horses so that information is easy to track. I just keep it all on one page. The date, what was done and what was used. We don't breed and don't do a lot of selling so I don't really have a plan or a system in place for those.

In the barn in our wash stall we have wood halfway up and then that waterproof white stuff paneling on the walls up to the celing and I use an erasable marker to write basic information. Farrier dates, worming dates/product used and also all the basic care, feeding and chore information which works great for the kids in case they have to do chores without me they can follow the directions written on the wall.

I also drew a map of the stalls and what horse goes in what stalls.

The kids have no excuse for "forgetting" to do something or doing something wrong. The writing is right there on the wall if they need to refer to it. I also write notes when needed, reminders if someone needs to be turned out or kept in or is on medication, etc. This system will come in handy when we start working horses more and want to keep track of who needs to do what on certain days of the week.

The biggest problem is the kids drawing on the walls or playing hang man or tick tack toe, otherwise I love this and it works out great for us.

That went a little off track on the record keeping theme, but I thought I'd share because it has been helpful to us. I'm always glancing at the wall and it helps me remember to order wormer or call the vet or make sure the farrier is set to come out, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too keep all my info in a 3 ring binder.... I have a section for coggins papers, registration papers and I even have a section for my breeding records.
default_yes.gif
: I have all my boys in age order (oldest to youngest) in the registration and breeding sections first. Then I have all my girls (oldest to youngest) next and at the very end of each section are the 2 donkeys we have. It all makes sense to me.... I also have loose leaf paper with the mares names on them and if they were open or bred (and bred to who) for each year... (i.e. my son's mare is: Fahsers Lil Trixie Belle Dee Registration #

2006: Open

2007: Bred June 20-29, 2006 to T Oaks JP Registration #

Due Date: June 5, 2007
Date foaled: (open since she's pretty far off still)
Sex/Color/Kept or sold: (open since she hasn't had the foal)
Very easy for me to record!!!

Gotta love those plastic sheet protectors!

now is a good time to look for them, as with tax time most discount and supply stores will have them on sale in the tax-prep supplies.

I keep two binders, one with the original papers, and one with the coggins papers combined with copies of the registration paperwork for carryong to shows, etc.

(In our state, you have to have an annual coggins and have it checked at any event where you've carried your horse)

I've organized mine different ways, and have found that what works best for me is to sort by age, youngest first. this has made it a lot easier to go through when its time for updating from temp to perm on paperwork. I keep copies of the stallion reports with the boys' paperwork, but if I have a bred mare listed, I'll usually put a copy of the current stallion report in with her papers as a reminder.

I also will make a copy of all paperwork sent in, and as it returns, file the completed forms with the copies in the corresponding horse's file.

All papers, and anythinbg else related to animals on desk in my room and out in barn, but in my room in a file foler thing....works really well when looking for stuff

What great ideas here, I'm going to implement some of them!

Right now I have an envelope of all AMHA papers, one of all AMHR papers, and various other things loose in a desk drawer. But the bottom drawer is made to hold files like a file cabinet, and I bought the hanging folders for it, so I plan to use that... but I think I"ll go with plastic protectors, too!
default_smile.png
And I scan my papers so I have a backup on the computer as well as a disk.

Jessi

I also do the 3 ring binder thing. I have a big one where all the horses have their own tab. Their "original" papers are in sheet protectors in the binder as well as any info I have on reference sires/dams etc, their DNA records etc. I also have a show binder that I love! It is a zippered binder that also has a legal pad(where I keep their points from each show) and a calculator, a big pocket where I can put show schedules etc and the 3 ring binder part that I keep a colored copy of the papers of each horse I'm showing. I also keep all my membership cards in it. For my vaccinations/due dates/ wormings and shoer I'm a calender girl! :bgrin

I also use a three ring binder, but bought one that zips shut and has slots on each cover. That way, if I do get in a hurry and don't take the time to put everything in the proper sleeve, it will at least be in that binder. Just open, slip papers in and close--nothing gets out. I have mine in catagories: stallions, under geldings, over geldings and mares for the aged horses/ponies--all in alphabetical order by barn name and then more slots for 3 yr old not yet AMHR perm, 2 yr old mare, 2 yr old stal, yearling mare, yearling stallion and weanlings. Each plastic sleeve holds everything about the horse including DNA, coggins, and anything else. I also keep copies of breeders reports and futurity entries and such in the cover pockets. I have a bad habit of losing that stuff otherwise.

Since you don't need the originals at shows, I will make copies--usually 4 or 5 at the beginning of the show year of the horses we plan to show and put them in a small folder. I will also make several copies of the coggins and put one copy in the large binder with the originals certificates and then keep the original coggins in my show folder.

I kept all my papers in 3 ring binder under protective sheets. Have them seperated by tabs and arranged by geldings , stallions and mares.In with each horses records is sheets from Jeffers with records of each horses,shots, dental worming,farrier etc.. In a seperate folders labeled I have coggins papers on each horse. Then on our show horses I have a thinner 3 ring binder with measuring card on horse and show records. I also have seperate thin binders on studs listing there get,and seperate on brood mares and there foals listed. I also have a folder on horses we have sold and keep track of there show records.When we sell a horseI give the new owners all paper work health record and if show horse copy of show records. I also try to keep pictures on outside stufs that we breed to and pictures on horses in our horses background if I have it.

I too keep my horses paperwork and pictures, genetic test results, awards, etc....in the plastic sleeves in a three ring binder. I don't think there is a better or easier way.

I keep their health records in an index card file (recipe box) with an index card for each horse for each function. For example, Carolina has a card for Breeding Dates, Hoof Trims, Deworming, VEWT, Rhino. These are divided by tabs and the ones due next naturally come to the front as they are due.

We do the same 3 ring binder and sheet protectors. We have 5 binders, Stallions, Mares, Geldings, Young Boys and Young Girls.

In the mature horses binders they're alphabetical, in the young horse binders they're divided by age, so it's easy to see who needs to have their 5 year old pictures taken to get permanent papers for them.

I want to thank everyone for lots of great ideas here! I have read quite a few that I can incorporate into my own system- and, of course, I am asking myself now why didn't I think of that :eek:
default_smile.png

Great topic Sharon - I always pick up some useful ideas from these topics!

With 62 horses here, we use a 2 drawer file cabinet - top drawer has forms, stallion reports, pending file (with a spreadsheet list of what is sent where - this has horse's name, reg #, which registery, why and date sent), also all the different clubs, sale stuff, whatever horse related paperwork that isn't specific to an individual horse.

Each horse is in their own file - registration is in plastic sleeves (I'm going to move originals into the safe), with all health docs, photos, DNA/PQ tests, copy of pedigree, etc. I do have a 3 ring 'working' binder that has the horse's registration info/pedigree that I make notes/plans on. All of these files are alphabetical and separated by mares or stallion/gelding. The files I use different color tabs on top to indicate if the horse is permanent registered, pending that year or still temp.

My main document that I use though is a spreadsheet (Excel). I have a master list with all the horses by age, dob, registered name, farm name, registration numbers (up to 3 different ones), DNA/PQ testing which has been performed, color, height, parents and note tabs for show info (points, etc.) That is my main one. There are also sales ones, trimming/de-worming/vaccination sheet, foaling due dates, foaling history, planned breedings, foaling calculator, which horses are in which fields list, mares only, stallions/geldings only, sale horses only, etc. I keep a separate one for our accountant with the info he needs.

The show binder (zippered) I picked up from Sandy (sedeh) & Kathi (wcr) - these are great lots of space and I don't have to worry about measuring a horse, or checking in at a show as it holds all the papers, pen, etc!

Sale horse's go in a 3 prong folder - I like the idea of the binder, but it would be a bit sparsely filled on most of our horses - I tried it, but didn't work. We use the sheet protectors, copy of contract, receipts for payments, registration paperwork, transfers (all highlighted - good idea on the adding an envelope!), pedigree, photos, health record and anything else pertaining to that sale. There are little slots fo biz cards, so those go in too. A new thing I'm doing for buyers in 2007 is including a gift membership for one of the local clubs - trying to get more people involved! The membership form, stamped envelope and check are in the sale folder and I send it after the horse/papers are delivered.

Latest posts

Back