Where do you feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beats32

Reaction score
We're in the process of building a 8x20 shedrow barn for 2-4 minis. There will be a large, dry-lot paddock attached and the horses will be able to come and go on their own unless we decide to stall them at night. It will have 2 stall gates and a 8' gate in between the stalls that we can open and close depending on how we want to use the run-in. I'm thinking of hanging slow feeder hay nets and have the water on the far side of the paddock, closest and easiest for us to manage. That's probably better than feeding them in the run-in, right? What are the thoughts on this? I think the only time we'd feed them inside is if/when they're actually stalled; I like our animals to be able to decide if they want to be in or out, etc. We feed ad lib hay and water and will give a ration balancer. I guess I'm just not sure if they'll come out in the rain and snow across the paddock for hay/water but I'm assuming they will if they want it bad enough! Should it be under cover? Thanks!

For the good weather you can do anything you want but for winter I'd make sure they have hay/water available where they are wanting to be. Horses will stop drinking sometimes when it's cold especially if they don't want to go get it in bad weather.
I mean put the water close to the run in, it doesn't have to be inside.

Last edited:
I like to feed in the run-in if I have one. That way I'm out of the weather while I'm feeding and checking on them. It keeps the hay dry instead of a soggy, wasted mess, and I find that if you feed them inside they are more likely to hang out inside to get out of the weather. When I didn't it always seemed they treated the shed like a bathroom and that was the only thing they used it for. I always have watered them outside though.

My little boys come running for their stalls at the first sign of sprinkles! 🤣 If it is raining they are feed in their stalls, if it is dry then they are feed in their drylot. I hang hay in their stalls and in several places in their drylot to encourage movement. IMO, whatever you decide to do make it easiest on yourself, the horses will adapt to whatever you decide.🥰

For my part, it depends. In rainy or snowy weather, mine get fed inside. In summer when it's nice weather, I feed outside in the paddocks. It's in my plans to build a shelter for them. I'm thinking of a wider shelter, that I would put between my two paddocks. I'd have two stalls in the shelter, one for paddock "A" and the other for paddock "B". This way, I could have them housed and fed outdoors all summer long, possible in spring and fall also, and just bring them to the stable when I need to groom them etc. I would use the barn only for cold winter nights and/or days.

Latest posts

Back