where do I buy blanket fabric?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawridge

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for me on where to purchase fabric for making winter turnout blankies for my minis? I would really like to give it a try. I am specifically interested in 600D or up waterproof and breathable plus the binding needed. My favorite blankets are those made by Supreme Equine Design but I am not independently wealthy
default_wink.png
so cannot buy all that I need. Thanks for any and all input!
default_smile.png

Check with a place that does automobile upholstry or boat, they would have or tell you where you can get the material. Good Luck!!!

You could do a google search for industrial fabric suppliers. The only problem is you will likely get a lot of wholesalers and they may not sell to you. Or go to a fabric store and show them the blanket material and ask if they can get it. Just because they don't carry it doesn't mean it is not available by special order.
default_smile.png
Good luck.

Try the sale board and Last chance auction, perhaps someone is selling their extra blankets for a good price.

Try eBay, you might be able to find outdoor fabrics there and in smaller quantities than a wholesaler would require you to buy.

Just an idea, but check with the boat cover makers there and see if they would sell you their remnants, minis aren't that big.

I did a search for 600D in crafts on eBay and their were several hits.

Good luck.

Thanks Chanda! I'll have to check with the boat people when I go back to WI this fall for a quick visit, or online. Out here in ranch land USA there really is nothing like that
default_wink.png

Thanks Chanda! I'll have to check with the boat people when I go back to WI this fall for a quick visit, or online. Out here in ranch land USA there really is nothing like that
default_wink.png
Nothing like that up here in the middle of nowhere either. Well, I take that back we do have Fort Peck lake, so there is one boat place, but they don't have much, and don't manufacture anything.

default_wink.png
Nothing like that up here in the middle of nowhere either. Well, I take that back we do have Fort Peck lake, so there is one boat place, but they don't have much, and don't manufacture anything.

Middle of nowhere is right! but ain't it great to be a cowgirl
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

default_wink.png

Middle of nowhere is right! but ain't it great to be a cowgirl
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif
Yes, except when I have to drive 65 miles for groceries, one way. Better remember everything the first time, cause you ain't going back for awhile.
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

default_laugh.png
I hear ya! Closest WalMart, or just about anything for that matter is just about the same distance for us! But the trade-off is soooooo worth it
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]E-bay is where I buy my materials for the blankets I manufacture. You should also consider packcloth. It's not what you think and is similar to Cordura in finish & wear. PLan to spend some time just looking through different sellers items and you will quickly become familiar with the terms used in the listings. You might also privately contact a few of the sellers (though E-bay) and ask if they will send you swatches of their fabrics. Some may, some may not, but you might get enough to get a good idea of what you want to use
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Also, I don't buy 1-2 yards at a timer from different auctions. I buy multiple yardage from the same seller in lots, to save on the CONSIDERABLE shipping and to reduce waste. These fabrics are super heavy!

My DIL makes blankets and a lot of outdoor wear. Here is a place she has found for some of her material. Not sure if they have what you want but worth a try and visit their website. Not representing them but just know a happy customer.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Latest posts

Back