Where can I find...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
Okay guys, I've decided I'd really like to try one of these but I'm having trouble finding one in a mini size. The two I found so far, one I wouldn't trust half as far as I could throw it and the other had this thick copper mouthpiece that just didn't look very well made. I tried the usual mini tack shops and all anyone had was Mylars (which while exactly what I want are FAR too expensive for my budget.)

So do any of you experienced drivers (Margo, Minihgal, Chamomile, Willowwood, etc.) have a link I could follow to a reasonably priced, well-made, half-cheek French Link snaffle bit? Kody is a large A mini, seems to take a 3 1/2" bit in most styles. He also has a very wet mouth already so I feel no real need for copper. Stainless would be good.

Thanks!

Leia

I tried for many years to find a french link mini bit that was not copper. I never did. I also wanted it in 3 1/4", that didn't happer either. I finally settled on the one Miniexpress.com has. To me it looks well made and it is really cute. It was a little expensive in my opinnion. My horse likes it so it was worth the money. L

Leia-

I have one,just as you have described wanting- but have NO idea where it originally came from, as I bought it, along with a couple/three others, from Paintbrush, when they got out of showing/driving their horses(and Valerie didn't remember, even then, where she got them/who made them.) Sorry to be absolutely NO help at all; perhaps the one mentioned by the previous poster? Most of the websites do have photos, so you can see what they look like...many of the better bits are pricier(though NOT the huge cost of the Mylers-I bought my two new, about 5 years ago at Nationals, for $115 apiece(story was,the company and/or another dealer put a fast stop to that bargain price!
sad.gif
-and it was a stretch for me to pay THAT, much less the currently advertised price of $149!!!) This bit, and the others I got, were in the $45-60 apiece neighborhood, new-but are well-made, non-pinch, bits, so worth the investment. Good luck, and if you find one you really like, share here where you got it, OK? I''m betting that as more get seriously into 'real world' driving, there will be even more demand for well-made mini bits, and an appreciation of knowing where they can be obtained!

Wish I could help you - I found much the same thing when I started driving, lots of cheaply made bits. Estate did have some very nice no pinch bits for about half the Myler price. The Mylers are pricey but in my experience with both big horses and minis, the are worth the investment. I used one on several different riding horses, and decided I basically could have thrown away 3/4 of the bits in my barn and just kept the Myler and a snaffle or two. I'm using one now on a driving horse who seems to like it.

Jan

The one from Mini Express was the one I didn't like, sorry. It looked very thick in the middle for my boy's small mouth and WAAAAYYY full of copper- Kody would soak the ground wherever he stood still! LOL Plus I thought the sides looked pinchy and that's something I'm trying to get far away from.

But maybe I'm not being fair. I thought the jointed pieces looked thick compared to the big horse French Links I've seen, maybe it's as small as it can be safely made without weakening the metal? What do you guys think?

105_lg.jpg

Thanks for the replies. And Margo, you're moving to B minis, aren't you? Are you sure you wouldn't part with your French Link??
biggrin.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not "moving to B minis"; just got ONE, that I do most of my single, out-in-the-real-world driving with nowadays-but I will still be driving a couple of A pairs(intend to get my old show gelding, a FWF Legionaire grandson, back before long, and want to put him with my matriarch mare, Melody, again, for a second pair-drove them as a pair years ago, and they made a VERY good one!), and my A single gelding, and am fixing to start training a 32" 4 YO mare, and perhaps even the 6 YO, 30.25" mare I have for sale--so, afraid I can't part with the French link--Sorry!!
wink.gif

I take your point about the copper-even if other aspects were OK, I have come to where I do NOT want a solid copper mouthpiece, in any bit! Reason? Copper is VERY soft-with a horse that works a bit in its mouth, solid copper will become scarred and even develop sharp edges, and can even be so weakened,with substantial usage, that it will break! That might be why the "link" in the center looks kind of large; it may have indeed been made that way to have reasonable strength!(Honestly, I don't see it as disproportionate for an average-sized mini.) I have had several copper mouthpiece bits become virtually unusable, on both my riding and my driving horses-so, for me, no more solid copper mouthpieces!!

My French link is on one of my pair harnesses; I will take a look at it to see if there is any maker's mark.

Keep looking; I feel sure "they're out there"-you just have to find them!!

just got ONE, that I do most of my single, out-in-the-real-world driving with nowaday
Pretty pretty please, can I see a picture of this B mare driving? Please?
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back