Where are the geldings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crponies

Reaction score
So, watching the AMHR show there were 2 horses in the 3 year old Super G under! Where are the geldings?

ETA: Ok, there were two in the over class too. Maybe I just don't understand that class?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing, but not because of the shows I've been looking for another driving horse and it seems like they are all mares or stallions.

I think the Super G is bound to be smaller than the Open Gelding classes... I can tell you, geldings are pretty popular at my place
default_laugh.png

It looks like the Ammy gelding classes were reasonable sizes, with the senior gelding numbers especially nice:

Ammy Jr. Under --15

Ammy Sr. Under -- 37

Ammy Jr. Over -- 16

Ammy Sr. Over -- 28

Last edited by a moderator:
The Super G historically has low numbers because of the cost involved to nominate your horse. What if you spend the couple hundred bucks (on TOP of the regular fees) and then don't go or horse can't go to Nationals that particular year (three year old year)?

I had nominated my gelding for the Super G a few years back just to support it. I think I placed third. I just BARELY made the money back that I had put in to that futurity. So honestly, it's not really "worth" having a Super G gelding for most people. Gelding classes historically aren't that huge...

Andrea

I did notice that in the $1000 amateur gelding incentive classes there were something like 24 and 28 entries. So, I would say that the geldings are out there being shown, but if the Super G costs are high and payouts small I can see where those classes aren't "worth it" to many/most owners.

Gelding is frustrating to me.

It seems at the shows we saw more, but even a "trainer" said to me that they weren't worth much because they don't "do" anything.

I guess that means that you can't breed them because they sure can "do" everything else.

I gelded boys last year and now that we have to reduce the herd, I can't get one inquiry on the geldings.

Only the mares, and only if they are bred.

Then I hear the "market is bad" and so inquiries want the mares for less than $1000.

In spite of the flood and storm damage this year I will just keep them.

Locally the geldings in the area ae seling "pet" price for just a couple hundred or less. It cost me over $100 just to geld them.

I posted an ad for the boys on the saleboard today with reduced pricing but I'm not holding out much hope, and I won't go lower because I have seen so many "cheaply priced" horses get so terribly neglected. When people in this area don't put much into buying, (and they don't WANT to for sure) they won't pay a vet bill for more than they paid for the horse. It's a vicious cycle that ends up with a lot of neglected minis, turned out in pastures with no care.

Sorry I know I am venting but that gelding issue is a sore spot.

[SIZE=12pt]I have lots of Futurity colts that can be super G geldings, I'm just not showing right now. I'm keeping my kids in the Futurity so their buyers can make the call on keeping them in the futurity and showing them in Super G
default_smile.png
I LOVE geldings![/SIZE]

I really do not think people know how much futurity money you can win. I have to say I was shocked when I got my futurity checks for the first time and thrilled. Our first futurity horse was Buckeye Magical Notice and he won back his purchase price the first year. After that I nominated all of our foals for futurity. I sold one colt but have 2 left. For sure if they dont sell I will geld them and go get the futurity money myself!! But fortunately for me I have never yet had a lot of trouble selling geldings and usually I get calls for more then I have. we just happened to have our first colt year this year.

To me there is just nothing more fun then showing a gelding. No hormone issues etc.

The big problem with gelding in my area is it costs $350-up to geld. I think in this economey (sp?) that is a big draw back in getting those studs gelded.

Its pricey here too but well worth it. Also just wanted to clarify you do not have to do Super G to get futurity money just have to be nominated and sustained and then show in those classes locally and/or nationally

KayKay... the REGULAR Futurity is DEFINITELY profitable if you show. I showed my yearling Shetland colt and my two year old Shetland mare at two AREA futurities and made more than the nominating money back JUST at two area shows for ONE year! I had a mini gelding that I showed at Nationals, and I did win several hundred dollars in the National Futurity.

Now, the Super G is a different story... there just aren't the numbers entered and it is very expensive and not really worth the $$$ which is a shame.

Andrea

Thats a shame about the super G futurity. Myself I simply did not know about it so probably why I have never done it. I really like futurity because even if you dont make it to nationals or congress you can get money back locally. I cannot wait to show my own futurity horses next year. Last year I was just shocked how much I got back in futurity and ammy incentive money. It was WONDERFUL. Sure helps offset the high cost of showing

Latest posts

Back