When you think you have leg problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much! That helps alot.

Shelia B.

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW...those pics sure help. I had my little filly that is in my avatar last year and her little front legs were bent. Hubby was all upset cause that is his "TATER" I told him to give her time she was all crammed in her little mama's belly (mare is 28") so you would be bent too and lo & behold she is fine and has the most Beautiful trot...as soon as it is warm enough and I can clip her some more I will show pics. I tried to do her face and neck and the clippers died so now she looks like a EWOK from STARWARS
default_wub.png

Yes, I have had foals as bad, if not worse than that.

The first time, I freaked, completely, don't mind admitting it!!

It was not my mare and she foaled nine weeks early, so I had to have the Vet.

Was advised to keep her in, limit movement and make sure she got plenty to drink / eat.

Which is what I did.

I would never leave a foal like this to "get on with it" as it were, they definitely need IgG levels tested, and possibly even vitamin injections, not to mention lots of TLC and stall rest and quiet, but they do come right.

What they do NOT need is the Vet freaking out...which I have seen a few times, and trying to splint the legs, etc!!!

They need, in short, experienced care.

Given that, Nature tends to take care of the rest!!

Thanks for posting, Tony. I expect your information will keep many from panicking as more foals arrive now and in years to come. In barns across the land people will be saying "They do look bad, but remember Tony's pics?!"
default_yes.gif

This little crooked stick of a filly went on to be a Central Regional Champion and Honor Roll Champion Youth Mare, as well as producing a World Champion daughter. No intervention other than good nutrition and regular trimming. I keep a copy of this picture with my foaling supplies, and if I have a really bad legged foal I pull it out and remind myself........it will be okay.
default_biggrin.png

Bowfoalpicture.jpg

bluebonanza.jpg

Jan

Edited to say, still worth a call to the vet......and I'm sure Tony will agree, depending on what the deformity is restricted activity for the first few days is called for, but most do seem to come around on their own very nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back