When you think of the most refined mini you've

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Spoke Ranch

Reaction score
Hi all:

I have a question for all of you that I've been curious about. When you think of the most refined mini you've ever seen...who comes to mind?

Please provide name, pictures, websites, I would like to see! The most refinded mini I recall seeing is Prince Tennessee of Monashee

Dawn
saludando.gif

Without a doubt, Mountain Meadows Special Express, aka Prince. But as refined as he is, he's no candy-butt...he is beautifully proportioned and perfectly conditioned. Go to the Mountain Meadows website, stallion page, to see him.

I concur with your opion of Prince Tennessee. Also Bond Sir Galahad was similar. I also believe that our Little America's 007 Rowdy Tornado is of that group, as was Buckeroo the first time that I ever saw him some twenty three years ago.

Do you mean personally seen? I have a great grandson of Prince Tennessee that is the most refined I've seen in person so far. I won't turn him out with our other colts cuz I'm afraid they'll hurt him while playing. I also have a coming 3 year old Toy 4UC bred filly that is posivitely deer like in her bone structure. Scouts Robinhood looks pretty refined (as do some of the other Scouts), and Prince Tennessee as mentioned, and also some of the Buckeroo breds are pretty refined.

Prince Tennesse....such a parcel of substance coupled with refinement (quality). Functional, strong, full of quality and a thing of beauty. Not coarse in the least, but also no bird bones and fawn-frail body either. I don't think it's any coincidence his descendants are such successful dual-purpose horses (halter & driving)

I never got to see Prince Tennessee in person, nor have I seen the "other" Prince, Stacy's that susanne is referring to. His photos certainly show a horse that has the "overall refinement" I am thinking of as nearly ideal (see my other thread relating to refinement). That horse has length of leg, neck to burn! And his head is beautifully made, also his other proportions are just right.

But, for seeing in person, I think Sierra Dawn Unos Monarch has to be up there. I am always a bit surprised when I go to Scott Creek and there he is, so tiny. In his photos he looks like a much taller horse, and his bone size is very delicate without being overly so.

Philia Blazes Joe Dandy is another one. I believe he was in Reno in '98 and I was very impressed. His babies have the same traits.

smile.gif

Liz M.

I agree with Nootka.... Sierra Dawn Uno's Monarch - "Hunter" .... and Philia Blazes Joe Dandy - "Joey"... are among my favourites... mind you - Joey lives here and I was one of Joey & Hunter's "valets" when they went to Nationals....
biggrin.gif
...so I guess I am partial...
yes.gif

<<<<< the young fellow in the avatar is Joey's son Spike... Star Valley's G.I. Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
May I put a word in for Little Joe?? I never saw him or Prince Tennessee- but John Gaza clued me in to them both- said they were just about the most under-rated Minis of their time- Tony, you will remember him, surely?? It was John also told me about Rowdy being a) Shetland and b) Frame- he started me on the long "colour" trail!! It's all his fault!! I could not believe the "Frame " thing so I started researching. John worked with Rowdy and it was him suggested they try him on Pinto mares, the rest is history!! So a vote for Little Joe- not the most refined by todays standards, just the same as Buckeroo, but still very beautiful in his own right.

But, today?? I have to go for Prince!!

What comes to mind?

The show string at Belinda Bagby's B & B Training center.

I have two colts with Belinda, both are sons of her stallion, Reflection. They are Cross Country Mindbender, who was Reserve Ch in the 05 weanling futurity and top ten in his other two classes. This colt is the one to beat!!!! The other is Cross Country Doctor Feel Good, who is also multiple top ten, earning a 4th in his open yearling class this year. Both are extremely refined and have excellent length of neck, and beautiful heads, while being correct as well. (Thank you Belinda for the privelege of owning these two boys!)

B & L Rocky's Red Alert is AMHR/ASPC and just went absolutely undefeated for this show year and won Sr National Grand...he is EXQUISITE. Belinda shows him for Lisa Strassle.

Also, Getitia's program with Buckeye WCF horses. She has a real eye for beauty and refinement.

THIS is one of the ones that comes to my mind, Erica's RFM Spring Thunder / "Peas". I think she's just so elegant.

f29518a1.jpg

I don't have a photo but it's on her web site Getitia's mare Buckeye WCF Classical Lily, she is the one of the prettiest mares I've seen and she's very delicate.

YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT STALLIONS, BUT I HAVE A MARE THAT I THINK QUALIFIES. SHE IS 20 YEARS OLD AND HAD MANY MANY FOALS, IN FACT SHE PRODUCED THE CENTRAL REGIONAL JR. STALLION CHAMPION 2005. I HAVE A PARTIAL PICTURE . SHE VERY SELDOM LOOKS PG UNTIL SHE GETS INTO ABOUT HER 8TH MONTH. she's in the background of the pic below. i'll have to take a whole pic.
mvc-042s.jpg
her name is rocking m bobbie sox , she looks like a 3 yr. old if you didn't know better.

02077230.jpg

heres one of our breeding stallions who still looks the same at over 11 yr. old.

rocking m 3times a teddy. a bond sir galahad gr. son. who had produced several national top 10's

Rabbitsfizz, Little Joe was refined, but not in the class of the ones that I mentioned earlier, in my personal opinion.

What about Horses Ltd. Victor Pic? He looked like a little Breyer when Ed Sisk showed him at Nationals.

Sierra Dawn Uno's Monarch aka "Hunter" is my pick I am totally biased as I was his personal attendent when his mom was out of town and I was a midwife to his ladies
biggrin.gif

Having seen Prince Tenessee of Monashee in person at age 25 unshaven and fuzzy ...he still took my breath away AND had one heck of a personality on him
wink.gif

Then there was this mare at Mountain Meadows who went by the name Shandy jaw dropping gorgeous
new_shocked.gif
(mother of Prince I do believe)
wink.gif

I can only comment on ones I have seen in person as photo's hide an awful lot.

For me, refined means perfected and therefore I think Buckaroo along with many of his get and grand get are just that. So many are in proportion, nothing sticking out, nothing exaggerated. Just a total pretty picture of balance and grace. Mary

Some of the "best of the breed" have been mentioned here... and Tony is to be commended for the extreme refinement that he achieves when breeding the "little ones!"
aktion033.gif

Prince Tennessee of Monashee really stands out to me as the epitome of refinement... I had the pleasure of seeing him several times... and not only was he refined, he certainly passed that on....

I have to add "one of my own" here.. or should I say one of the mares that I had the extreme pleasure to handle for the RF Bar Ranch in the early 1990's. Her name was RF Bars Miss Teenie... foaled in 1989, she was way ahead of her time in the refinement department... (her sire is Tiny Tim, one of the most refined Appaloosa stallions out there.... I showed him to Multiple AMHA National Top Tens in the late 1980's and early 1990's...) and she herself was one of the top mares in the nation from 1992 to 1995. She was AMHA Honor Roll 4 times in Senior Mares, Multiple Supreme Halter championships and 5 time AMHA National Top Ten. I wish that this photo showed her neck better, it just went on for miles...

fc2a972a.jpg

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

cropppedMime.jpg

I believe MIME falls into this category as well.

What an incredibly fun thread!

I’m fascinated viewing the examples (pictures) of the horses others feel possess utmost refinement and comparing them with my own perception. Thank you all for sharing your beautiful horses and hope others will share their examples of when they “think of the most refined horse they’ve ever seen…who comes to mind†as well.

Unfortunately, Prince Tennessee of Monashee is no longer living and would like to see some more examples of those who are still with us. I would love to visit them to see in person someday.

Thank you again for helping hone my eye.

Dawn
saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back