When to wean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
My little Vernon comes up to my farm when he is weaned and since he was born in September (he is 2 months now) I was not sure how long to leave him with his momma? When do you guys tend to wean? Is 6/7 months with momma too long?

Thanks.

My donkey babies were born in March and the beginning of April, I am first weaning them now. So I would not say 6-7 months is too long, as long as the foal does not take too much out of the jenny, (weight wise, etc) I also always give my jennys that still have there foals with them "extra" as far as grain, and conditioner goes, and when the foal starts to nibble on his food I add vitamin E /selenium. I also use beet pulp with all my donkeys and horses. Corinne

I usually wean between 4-6 months. As long as they are eating well, etc.
wink.gif

NOt before 4 months. Its normally around the 6 months here.

I must be one of the few who allows the mom to wean when she is ready. If my jennet was rebred she usually weaned her babe at 6-8 months. One of my girls whom I didn't rebreed due to her age let her last baby nurse for 18 months...I think it was just comfort for both. Looked really goofy cuz baby was only 3 inches shorter than mom when mom finally fully weaned her.

I was always told to leave baby with mom as long as possible. let nature take its course unless the mom was getting way to thin. But then again, I am not making any $$ selling my girls...they are nothing more than lawn ornaments but I do want the best for them.

O just noticed...under my name it says "addiction free"....not for long!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really between 3-6 months the milk is nothing. I make it the equivilante of water. There is no nutrition left. So after 6 months there really isnt a need for them to nurse.

I think donkeys are left on longer then horses as they are slower in my opinion to mature then a horse.

Latest posts

Back