When to clip Buckskin for show?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C. Lunde

Reaction score
HI guys, wondering when you clip your buckskins for show. I thought it'd be a fun little topic.

I was going to do mine a week before the show, but i'd like to razor/blend his face, so hopefully I won't run into any blending problems?

I was going to use a 10 blade all over and then the fancy ninja clipping on his face with the 50s 30s etc.
default_yes.gif

I don't know if this is comparing apples to apples or not, but I've finally decided that clipping my silver bay only a week in advanced is not an option. When you first clip her (#10), she goes gray and dappled. It's a cool look, but I believe she looks better when her coat is it's normal silver bay self. Next year, I'll be clipping her at least a month in advance and blanketing her/stalling her as needed by the weather.

This is her at our first show in early May:

missyandme.jpg

And this is her at the beginning of June:

3f361b29-da10-4388-9adf-e6ad5b082239.jpg

I especially like the look of her legs now that they are darker. And it makes her mane and tail look even brighter.

oh, WOW. Yeah I like the color difference. You inspired me to add my photos.. I was too lazy to before hand ;) Heheheehehee...

Last year I saw someone show their buckskin unclipped. Just a little blending on the face, ears and throatlatch. He looked awesome and it inspired me to do something similar with Beau.

This is Beau, with a month after clipping. I clipped his legs the morning of the clinic (the halter picture) and the 10 blade almost matched the hair that had grown out surprisingly. If I can get away with it, I will hardly clip him ;)

i39pp3.jpg

308kyzq.jpg

What a *gorgeous* boy!!!! Yeah, I think you want to be sure his "real" colors are what you show him in. He looks fantastic.

I hate clipping as my horses dont look the color they really are unless its one of my roans. My bays look to dark, not red like they really are and my buckskins look all washed out and not gold.

If ya dont shave and blend at some shows, it could make the difference in placing or not.

***this is my bucksin roan stallion***

Im showing a solid bucksin mare this yr, My 1st show is on the 30th of June, I will be clipping her this Friday which is the 21st. And will do tuch ups the night before.

100_4205.jpg

DSC03004_cropped_4x6_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back