When should I deworm and vaccinate my foal?

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by Rachel, Oct 6, 2005.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1

Rachel

Rachel

Rachel

My little filly [​IMG] is already 6 weeks old! I can hardly believe it. She is growing like a weed and doing just wonderfully - a constant source of entertainment for all of us around here [​IMG]. Now onto my question. When do I first deworm her and also get her her first shots? I dewormed my mare the day she foaled and then again last week if that means anything. Also, her umbilical stump hasn't completely dried up and fallen off yet. Should I be worried about that? Thanks in advance!

2. Oct 6, 2005 #2

wwminis

wwminis

wwminis

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Rachel, [​IMG] [/SIZE]

We start worming our foals at 2 months and once a month after that until they are 1 year old! We give them there first shots at 5 to 6 months of age or as our vet recommends, with a booster shot 30 days after the first! The Umbilical stump sometimes takes a while to dry up and fall off! As long as there is no swelling around the stump, it should be just fine! [​IMG] We love to watch the babies play here also! [​IMG]

Bill

3. Oct 6, 2005 #3

nootka

nootka

nootka

I would talk to my vet were I you, just because they get a better idea of your conditions and particular needs for your horses.

My vet recommends vaccinations beginning at 6 mo. for my area/horses, and worming to begin at 6 weeks as a rule. Zimectrin is a good wormer to use as it has a high safety margin, also Eqvelan, or pyrantel, I think it is is a good one, but definitely run it by your vet.

Liz M.

4. Oct 6, 2005 #4

AJ

AJ

AJ

Deworming at 2 mo's and 4way vaccination at the vets first farm visit after foal reaches 30 days. During summer vet attends farm regularly.

5. Oct 7, 2005 #5

rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

Did you deworm the mare when she foaled and was she dewormed regularly before foaling?? If Yes, you can wait until two months, although I never do. I deworm at ten days with Fenbendazole (Panacur) and at one month with Ivermectin, and then at three months with the five day Guard (Fenbendazole again) Then I do them routinely with the mares. I am just about to do my first ever tapeworming as I suspect a colt who has come in and, if you do one, you have to do them all.

6. Oct 7, 2005 #6

Dona

Dona

Dona

IF the mare had her booster shots 1 month prior to foaling....the foal shouldn't need it's first shots until 5 - 6 months old. If the mare did NOT have her boosters 1 month prior to foaling, the foal will need to be started on shots earlier. Check with your vet on this & get their recommendations.