When Reversing : Pivot or Turn Wide?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
This may be an odd question, or one that has an obvious answer, I'm not sure.

When showing in driving, when asked to reverse, should you try to pivot on your tire ( like in driving obstacle ) or should you make a wide turn, if you have the room? I'm always on the outside, since Bentley is a faster driving horse than some of the horses I compete with. I understand that in a big class you should be on the inside as much as possible for the judge to see you, but my classes usually aren't large so that isn't a problem for us. Anyway, getting off topic here, I've been making tight turns, not "pivot on your tire" tight but it's close enough to it. I have wondered if I should be making larger turns, maybe for the judges sake I'm not sure...

What do you all think? Pivot or Wide Turns?

Thanks, Bailey

I think it depends on the size of the class and the arena. If there is plenty of room, go ahead and make the wider turn. I like making a pivot if I have room anyway if my horse is very good at it, as I think it shows his manners, flexibility and handiness. Not sure what judges think of it. If the class is large I think you have to go with what is "safest", which could be any one of the two. But I am interested in hearing what others think too.

I also make it a point to Stay On the Rail. As I believe that is proper anytime. Only going off the rail to pass or avoid being boxed in, and then manuvering to get back on the rail again. I have a horse that that can be a challenge with too, as he has a long stride. It seems at some shows he is easily boxed into the corner ends; as for some reason, those with Slower horses seem to think they need to pass HIM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big smooth turn. Pivoting on a wheel is stopping, (ie break of pace) and you will be dinged. Maintain a steady gate. If the class is very large you will be asked to reverse on the diagonal.

I agree. When you have the room stay in gait and make a wide sweeping turn or even take the diagonal. If the judge wants to see you pivot He/She will ask for it.

I generally do the 'tear-drop' shaped reverse: swing wide enough to the inside to not slow or quicken your horse's pace or cause them to toss their head, and gradually make your way back to the rail, which results in a tear-drop shape. Of course this can get tricky with an arena full of horses and if there is a center ring, but this gives the smoothest appearance. Although the pivot takes talent and training, to a judge's quick glance it may look like you have broken gait or are having issues. Think smooth, effortless and pretty!

Hmmmm, didn't think of the 'break in gait' before-I will definitely rethink (change) how I am doing MY reverse now.

I had a friend who did not place in a driving class because she did the pivot turn. The judges did not like it. I can understand now, from reading the posts, why it is not a good way to turn in a driving class. She thought it would show off her horse's training, but that was not the appropriate class to do that maneuver.

I do see that the smooth turn would look much more polished in the driving class.

Do what is safest and most effortless looking. The judge likely isn't going to be picky otherwise, but they won't like the appearance of a horse balking, struggling, or breaking gait at the reverse. In larger classes you may reverse at the diagonal anyway!

I taught Maggie to pivot in a dime, so we can make tight turns in small places. But we just drive the trails.

Just the idea of horses actually turning in the ring fills me with dread, I'm afraid. Here we "change the rein" and the whole ring of horses merely goes diagonally across the arena and turns back the other way when they reach the outside. It takes no longer and removes any danger,.

Sorry, Jane, but in a large arena (which we all prefer) with few entries, it takes a lot longer. Our reverses are always done at the walk.

edit: Oo, except roadster....that's crazy, exciting and a bit dangerous!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back