When it rains it pours.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuck. I have a filly like that, but not to that extreme. Hope she pulls through! Question: On the triple antibiotic ointment that you first applied at home, did it happen to have a steroid in it? Just an FYI for everyone out there - never use a triple antibiotic ointment eye cream with a steroid in it to treat an eye injury that has not been stained for an ulcer. The steroid will make the ulcer worse which could resulting in a melting ulcer.

You can add me to the list of well-wishers. I hope your little filly is doing better soon; it sounds like she's getting a lifetime of ailments out of the way early.

default_new_shocked.gif
Oh my gosh, that poor baby!! Sending prayers for the little one that this will be the end to her troubles!
default_pray.gif

Wow, the poor filly has had a terribly rough time of it, hasn't she?
default_sad.png
Here's hoping that her problems are over and she start ENJOYING life!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! Sure hope this filly turns the corner soon and no more illness or injury!

Carin, I only use triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT steroids for eye injuries. Agree that steroids can make a fresh injury much worse. The vets have her on cipro opthalmic ointment now.

Jan, Drama Queen sounds like a darn good name at this point!

The vet should be out later this afternoon and hopefully the report will still be positive.

I will certainly post pictures if and when she heals up. She's gorgeous which is all the more reason she needs to get well!

Prayers said and everything crossed here that the little darlin' comes around and has a healthy life from here on in. Some of them certainly do try us don't they?!

Becky,

You might also talk to your vet about adding SMZ's and 1/2cc of Banamine morning & night to your program. I have had a few nasty eye injuries in the past couple of years and the Banamine really helps with the pain and inflamation, and the SMZ's help with the infection, then all the topical products can really take hold. I know some horses are particularly sensitive to Banamine, so you might want to also add in Gastroguard. My babies have healed up nicely and on my filly I was really worried that I might lose her eye completely it was so bad.

Call me if you have questions (206) 979-0505 is my cell.

Stacy

Stacy, thanks for the info. She's actually on Naxcel 2 X day plus Gentamicin 1 X day as well as Banamine 2 X day plus Ulcer Guard 1 X day. Plus Fastrack 2 X day. Plus the Cipro opthalmic ointment every 4 - 6 hours. I don't think they will add another antibiotic to the regime until she is off of those. They also injected a long lasting antibiotic into her eyelid before she left the hospital. Hopefully, all these meds will save the eye and cure the pneumonia!

Wowzers, poor baby, she must feel like a pincushion -- but I am sure that all those antiobiotics will help heal things a lot faster. Funny thing about these little guys, with all the crap they we put them thru, those foals tend to end up being the friendliest - go figure
default_wacko.png

Good luck, keep us posted (I will refrain from sharing my stories about "The Million Dollar Mare" with you!)

Stac

I am so sorry you have to go through this I am sending my get well wishes to your pretty filly! I will be praying for a good report from the vet.

Jessica

If it makes you feel better I had a quater horse/appy mare that I had to keep in leg wraps and bell boots on all 4 legs while she was in her stall or she would hurt herself. She was always doing something. I hope your filly is getting better.

Oh my, Becky, I'm just seeing this about your baby. I'm so sorry she (as well as you) are having to go through this. Don't you just hate it when all you seem to do is vetting all day!! No wonder I had trouble reaching you a few days ago - you were out doctoring your little one. Hope she totally recovers for you. Good luck!

Rita

Better news today! Dr Sparks just left and she is very pleased with the eye. She said it is starting to vascularize and heal. She brought a kit with her to debride it, but after seeing the eye, she said it isn't necessary right now. She was very pleased and if it continues as it is, it will heal with some scarring.

She listened to her lungs and there is still some rattling so she is putting her on SMZ's for 5 days as the filly is finishing her injectable antibiotics tonight.

Her chest wound is healing great.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all continue to heal and no more setbacks and no more injuries!!

That's great, Becky!! I know how worried you've been. I can't wait to see pics of the filly.

Good news Becky. I hope she continues in this direction and doesn't have anything further happen. Poor little thing.

Latest posts

Back