Quantcast

When Foaling Time Is Near:)........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

rockin r

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
1,540
Reaction score
28
Location
Oklahoma
Hi Everyone...


I think foaling time is near for my two mares. They both have the signs and have for a while now. Butt pushing, walking away from food, up and down alot, pawing at their bedding, MILK, circling,etc... When should I make myself know to be in the barn with them All night??
I have my cot set up so they are used to seeing it. And how close to their stalls should I be? Should I take the sac off the foal, or wait to see if the mare does it? They DON"T like shots so, I will have to give the paste bantamine, how much should I give them? And how soon after the foal is born? I have also had their stall lights on now for 2 1/2 weeks, so they are used to it, I think! Sorry for sooo many questions, but any help is much appreciated.
 

rabbitsfizz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Messages
10,937
Reaction score
384
Location
England
If you get a foal born in the bag DO NOT WAIT FOR ANYTHING!!!! I break the bag as soon as the head is clear and I am sure the foal is not going to be taken back in. Do you have due dates on them???
 

rockin r

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
1,540
Reaction score
28
Location
Oklahoma
rabbitsfizz said:
If you get a foal born in the bag DO NOT WAIT FOR ANYTHING!!!!  I break the bag as soon as the head is clear and I am sure the foal is not going to be taken back in.  Do you have due dates on them???
418536[/snapback]

My broodmare is due to faol July 14 @ 341 days

My Maiden mare is Aug 1 @ 341 days

Should I be in the stall when she foals?
 

Miniv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
677
We try to be right in the stall, if it doesn't make the mare too nervous. And remove the sack from the foal's face immediately! (We also get down and make sure the baby is presenting properly when the bubble emerges.)

As soon as the cord breaks -- usually when the mare stands up, we immediately douse the navel with either gentle iodine or a nolvasan solution. We then do some towl drying on the foal, clean up the stall a bit, give the mare her banamine, wormer, and something for her to eat.

Then, we step back and let the two bond and watch for the foal to nurse.

If your mares are giving you all the signs, including sticky milk, I would be staying in the barn at night.

MA
 

Becky

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
5,652
Reaction score
31
Location
Oklahoma City, OK
I would be sleeping in the barn now, if you don't have a camera and monitor. I wouldn't go by 341 days as a foaling date. Just a round about figure. My mare that was due July 20 (11 months from her last breeding date), foaled June 26!

Banamine is dosed 1cc per 100 lbs body weight. I always give it to my mares right after foaling. Usually before they even get up!
 

rockin r

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
1,540
Reaction score
28
Location
Oklahoma
Becky said:
I would be sleeping in the barn now, if you don't have a camera and monitor.  I wouldn't go by 341 days as a foaling date.  Just a round about figure.  My mare that was due July 20 (11 months from her last breeding date), foaled June 26! 
Banamine is dosed 1cc per 100 lbs body weight.  I always give it to my mares right after foaling.  Usually before they even get up!

418596[/snapback]

I have a monitor on both of them and I have an intercom system, today the maiden mare hardly ate her feed or her berm/alf mix hay. The broodmare eats like there is no tomorrow!! constantly hungry, they both have free choice excelent quality berm hay. Thanks for your advice to all and your help..I will post pics when they foal. I am soooooo neverous about these babies...My last filly a tri-color app. from the broodmare coliced, I took her to the vet she was 18 months, he put the oil in her lungs and she died a horrific death 6 mins later!! I am just terrified of losing one or both of these babies. Again thanks for everyones support and advice. I wish I nknew of this forum then...Theresa ps I don't use that vet any longer..............
 

Miniv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
677
If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting the book: "Blessed Are The Broodmares" by M. Phyllis Lose, VMD.

For years we would re-read it every foaling season, just for reminding and reasurrance.

MA
 

Rachel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
7
Location
Larimore, ND
First off, I want to wish you good luck with the foalings Theresa!

Secondly, I have a question concerning banamine. Does everybody give banamine after foalings? I've seen several foalings but none of the mares ever got the drug afterward. Maybe I should get some to have on hand for my mare. Where can I buy the paste form?
 

Miniv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
677
Rachel said:
First off, I want to wish you good luck with the foalings Theresa!Secondly, I have a question concerning banamine. Does everybody give banamine after foalings? I've seen several foalings but none of the mares ever got the drug afterward. Maybe I should get some to have on hand for my mare. Where can I buy the paste form?

418853[/snapback]

You get banamine from your vet. The paste version is usually what vets prefer to sell. There is also a liquid version, but some vets hesitate to sell it until they feel they know you.

I've noticed that full sized mares don't suffer as much from cramping as minis do and I don't know why. As for minis, I would say about 80% of the time they cramp enough that it interferes with the foal's search for the nipple. So, IMO, having either the paste or the liquid banamine in the foaling kit is a must.

MA
 

Latest posts

Top