When feeding programs go wrong...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good post.

New owners need to ask a lot of questions and educate themselves on horse care. Just the other day I heard of someone that had bought some bred mares & a stallion--first horses I believe--stallion ended up dying not long after they bought him, not necessarily because of the care he did or didn't receive (could have been natural causes, but his care could have been a contributing factor). In any case, these people had apparently been told "be sure you don't feed them too much". Turns out their idea of "not too much" was much too little. Someone who visited the farm and saw the horses awhile after they got them said the mares were nothing but racks of bone.

A huge key is to remember not every horse needs the same amount of feed. Even the same horse in a different home, different enviroment, different turn out schedule, different tempature and climates.. dont need the same feed they had at a previous home. The most important part IMO of any feeding program is really paying attention and being willing to change as needed.

I so agree, there is no magic science and what works for one doesn't work for another. We are constantly looking over and feeling our minis. We keep an old school chalk board in our barn that has name and the amounts of grain they get. This works great for us because everyone gets a different amount and sometimes the amounts change, depending on their needs. And my children and even husband helps out once in a while and there is no wondering.

When I sell a horse and know the buyer is "fairly new" -- as in, doesn't own 10+ for over 50 years and has a barn manager, etc. :lol: -- I give them a printout, with pictures, of the horses body score chart. I explain to FEEL in winter and health things to watch for. You sorta know after talking with them how exposed or not they are to "full care". It helps them see what you want to see on the horse.

You know how some think THIN means REFINED ----
default_wink.png
:

Whenever I sell a horse, I tell and show the new owner exactly what and how I feed, what time of the day, amounts etc. Every horse is differant, and what might work out good for one is no where near enough for the next. Then, I am ALWAYS there after the sale for any questions or help they may need. But, alot of owners will put a mini in with standard size horses, and not really be able to know exactly how much the little mini is getting, (and dont pay attention) and without realizing--the mini is going downhill, and not getting anywhere what they need. Another point new owners need to be made aware of is having there teeth checked. I have a 35 yr old Arabian, witha excellent set of teeth, and then we have a 6 yr old who always needs to get floated because of her hooks. Corinne

Another point new owners need to be made aware of is having there teeth checked. I have a 35 yr old Arabian, witha excellent set of teeth, and then we have a 6 yr old who always needs to get floated because of her hooks. Corinne
This is so true. A few years ago, the first time the local vet did my horse's teeth, he was amazed at the difference in the three horses; senior gelding (18 or 19 at the time), 11 year old mare and 5 year old mare. The senior gelding has the best looking teeth and the young mare had the worst. Who knew? It definitely wasn't what the vet expected to see.

I think another point is that all hay is not the same!!!. I know some people that feed a hay that I would not feed a cow. It has to come from a good baler, that knows, and tests their hay. That it is dried and baled properly. I buy mine from the same man, every time I buy. I know he has good stuff, and takes special care to make sure it is a great quality of hay.

Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back