When do you start training/conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I would like to start as soon as possible when I get the little guy (hopefully going to be named Basque Buckeroo Bravo...
biggrin.gif
) here. I know I can start training to set up, patience almost immediently, but what about longing and working?

Our foals do not get worked on the longe line until they are 2 years old, and even then it's rare for us to longe one--what it amounts to, as 2 year olds they learn how to longe, they do not get conditioned that way.

Our yearlings and 2 year olds get conditioned by working free in a big corral (as in 60' x 120' )--there are two of us, and we stand one towards each end of the corral, and keep the horse moving--gives them room to move without putting stress on their developing legs.

We start halter breaking our foals when they are a month old, and the only "work" they get as weanlings is going for walks and learning to set up & pose for showing.

[SIZE=14pt]your baby should be imprinted at birth to make clipping and grooming easier, halters on the next day, Lounging and ring work at age 2 years no sooner.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back