When do YOU get concerned?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reijel's Mom

Reaction score
I have a maiden mare at 331 days gestation today. She has a decent sized little bag for a maiden, though it's still clearly 2 halves. Her nipples are "fullish" and pointed down. But - there is no milk. I wasn't overly concerned but on Friday AM her vulva was pretty loose, a big change from my last check during the night. I thought she'd be going any time this weekend, and thought milk would start coming in, but it hasn't.

Everything I've read on this forum, in books, and in talking with people with more experience with this (including my vet today), they are just telling me to wait - so long as I don't think she's been exposed to fescue, which I don't think she has been.

But I have seen where vets have chosen to start giving domperidone (sp?) before the mare foals. So. . .how/when is that decision made?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would talk to your vet to see what she/he recommends, but just speaking for personal experience. I have several mares who chronically don't get much of an udder (other than the one you were describing) until about 2 hours before they foal. One actually gets a very firm udder with waxing almost simultaneously as she's foaling.

Hi Adam - I did talk to one of my vets today, and she wasn't concerned.

I just can't help but worry, I LOVE my vets, but they don't have the emotions vested that I do and sometimes I have to get a little assertive with some of them
default_smile.png

I know, everything should turn out ok in the long run. . .

Thanks for replying, I think you know the mare in question
default_smile.png

Wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this area with the same problem this year. I'm in Williamsburg and have had two mares foal with the same issue. Both of these mares are by far not maidens, and in the past have had great udders. One mare foaled on the 13th and the other on the 22nd. After the first mare foaled with an udder that would fit in the palm of my hand, I had an IgG test and a CBC done of the foal. All results were fine. I requested that I put both mares on donperidone and got a prescription for it. I also put the mares on an herb called fenugreek which helps with lactation. By the time the 2nd mare foaled on the 22nd, she had a much better udder then the first mare. Both mares are still on both products and the foals are fine. The first mare carried 338 days and the 2nd carried 350 days. Guess which mare had the colt. Currently the first mare still has a smaller udder than normal for her, but the foals are thriving.

Another mare in the neighborhood also is doing the same thing. Think it might have to do with our weather? I question if it's fescue as I purchased a lot of hay last year, but haven't seen it in the bales. Regardless of what has caused the issue, it's worrisome and frustrating at the same time. I hope all goes well with your mare and foal.

I agree the vets don't seem too concerned. Mine told me they will get an udder when they foal. The first didn't and still isn't what I'd call normal for her. Grrrrr! We know our mares and know what's normal for them.

Bump.

Just hoping I can get a few more responses here.

Sue, interesting that you are in my area and noticing a bit of a trend with this - I may PM you!

Thanks.

We have had maiden mares foal with barely a bag. Milk seems to come in right away, no baby has ever gone hungry, and had good colostrum. And we have some older mares that do the same. Then there are the others who walk around practically dragging the bag behind them!
default_biggrin.png

No expert- But my mare 2 weeks ago did have a nice full hard udder but no milk to speak of even 45 minuets prior to foaling- She did have a little liquid about 1 hr after foaling- and the full tap was on about 3 hrs after foaling( could have been sooner but thats when I noted it.)

T

We went through this same scenario with our 8 yr old mare (had had two other foals, however) just last week! After baby was born Wed morning, we had the IgG tested to be sure baby was getting the colostrum. I had been able to express a bit of sticky from her even though her bag was like you are describing. Anyway, all was fine and she has milk to spare! Baby even had it coming out his nose on Thursday! Guess he is guzzling! lol

Just be sure to keep in contact with your vet. You might want to consider doing an IgG after the baby is here.

Peggy

Every foaling season seems to be a little weird, I swear..........

So far, we've only had one foal. But mom pulled a fast one. It was her second baby. She did NOT drop or show us the "jello butt" and her bag did NOT get firm, although she definitely had a bag...........as a matter of fact, she did not let down any milk to allow us to test.

But oh boy......once that foal was there, she was a COW!

mine were cows this year, BUT I have had mares have NO milk until they foaled.

Maybe try a richer hay like a little alfalfa... maybe it will help a bit???? Not sure though.

Robin

<BUT I have had mares have NO milk until they foaled.>

Well, my mare Poppy (avatar) is at 329 days today, she usually foals between 321 - 327 days and has a bag way in advance. Right now she has a very, very small bag and no milk. Keeping a very close eye on this one.

Liz R.

I am still trying to figure mine out. She is at day 307. She has no bag but white milk that will stream if I express it. Her udder gets a little softer and the nipples a little fuller at night, but during the day we are back to saggy baggy. She has a mushy butt, some tail resistance and her vulva changes daily from pink to red.

I have no idea on this one.
default_wacko.png
So just watching her anyway.

Latest posts

Back