When do you clip your foals for the first time?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Head/neck and/or full body clip.. We've got our two boys, I'm itching to see what's underneath
default_yes.gif
but don't want to clip them too early.. First was born May 9th, second May 18th.. The first colt has long thick baby colt, other is decent, but still a lot of baby fuzz..

We head and neck clip our earliest foals as soon as night time temps stay well above freezing.

We don't body clip until night time temps stay in the 50's. As it is, they all are in the barn at night.

I clip as soon as they start getting hot. This year, we clipped one at a month old and one at a week old!

We head and neck clip our earliest foals as soon as night time temps stay well above freezing.

We don't body clip until night time temps stay in the 50's. As it is, they all are in the barn at night.

We do about the same thing.
default_smile.png

I clipped Ziggi when she was less than 2 weeks. It depends on the temp. This year is going to be HOT and she was sweating so bad. A head and neck clip would not have given her to much relief.

Dream was clipped at 5 days - of course, she had pneumonia so I needed to get the hair off of her. I normally clip at around a month old. I do live in Florida though.

Barbie

Weather permitting, I like to wait till at least a month old. Some babies get SO stressed and others just take it in stride. I like them to have a LITTLE age on them.

Viki

Thanks everyone, the oldest colt I worked with the other day, rubbing the clippers over him both off and on, that way hopefully, when I do get around to clipping he won't stress out.. The next couple days are going to be horrible, 80-90 degree weather and very muggy thanks to recent storms that rolled through

We don't clip our foals, other than the rare occasion when we decide to show one. I'm surprised to see that it appears to be an accepted fact for so many people!!

We don't clip our foals, other than the rare occasion when we decide to show one. I'm surprised to see that it appears to be an accepted fact for so many people!!

I was curious as to if foals shed out naturally the year they are born? Since you don't clip...maybe you can answer that for me...thank you
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Its so hot out today and yesterday, i would say you should be fine to clip.

I would leave on leg and ear fuzz for fly protection though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually clip at 3 months old depending on the temps during the night here in Pa even that all our horses are stalled in the barn. I clipped last week a colt that was born in Feb. that was extremely wooly. What a difference underneath all the fuzz coming off makes in those little guys appearance. I have two more to do but we have a Area II show to prepeare for so the show horses get done first then the foals will be next to be done.

Latest posts

Back