when do they bag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayleighsMom

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old mare with her first baby. Im not quite sure of her due date. I moved her from a bad location where she was underweight. She now is on 5 acres of pure Bahia grass, and has a huge belly. I have a feeling that its more than just "grass belly" my other mare and stud arent nearly as big as she is. When do they start to bag up? An average. This is my first baby and hers as well and Ive been reading alot of books, but hearing from other "mini moms" might make me feel a bit better.

Thanks

a good average here is they start to bag 3 weeks before they foal. When the bag gets swollen tight and hot to the touch i know foaling is very near

Normally, most mares will begin to bag up approximately 30 days before their due date. The changes may be subtle at first such as the milk glands in front of the udder filling and then a slight filling of the udder itself. If you start checking by feel of the udder at least once a day, you will notice these changes. It will progress as the udder fills the two halves until the udder fills between the halves and flattens out on the bottom. As the mare approaches foaling, the udder will become firm, 'tight' and the nipples will spread apart and become pointed and firm. The milk which will be thin and watery initially will get thick and sticky much like karo syrup as foaling becomes imminent.

Latest posts

Back