When a horse kicks another?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well today when I was out with Blue I noticed he had an odd lump/swelled area on his body...it is right behind his right leg when you are facing him. It is rather large, but does not seem to be causing him pain. He does not limp, etc.

Normally I seperate the three geldings out because I feel bad for Blue because he is the lowest in the pecking order and the other geldings will pick on him. But yesterday I put them all together for about three hours just so they could play follow the leader, and the other various things they do. I never witnessed any fighting, biting or kicking.

If Blue got kicked or bitten could that cause the lump?

When my parents get home they are going to look at it...and if it does not go down in a few days I will call the vet.

Could certainly have been kicked. IF so should be filled with water or if it is harder might be like we get with bruises, filled with blood. Either one will go down in time.

It could also be a horse fly bite or deer fly bite, etc.

Is it hot to the touch? If so, run some cool water over it for 15-20 minutes, will take some of the swelling down.

If its not hot to the touch, leave it alone.

If it doesnt' start reduction in size within a few days, then have the vet check. OR if there are any other issues resulting from this, have the vet out.

If it's hard, it could be an abscess. If it's soft and gives a little bit like PlayDoh, it could be a hematoma. Keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger, call the vet.

Andrea

Just had something similar happen with a horse at a show. For no apparent reason his front leg on the side of the knee all the way to the shoulder swelled up quite a bit - it wasn't hard, it was soft swelling but it was very obvious. His knee area was twice the size as the other leg. He wasn't limping though and didn't seem super sore. We thought maybe injured or kicked by another horse but it turns out it was likely from a bug bite. He is sensitive/allergic as it is to bugs and insects and something must have bit him and he had an allergic reaction. I gave him a shot the vet had given me to keep on hand for this purpose, gave him banamine to make him more comfortable and I massaged DMSO gel in the area hoping it would help the swelling and disperse the venom. The next morning it was down to normal size.

Cold hosing for 20 minutes or ice it if he'll stand for that. Alittle banamine wouldn't hurt to help get the swelling down. If it doesn't improve call the vet.

Christy

Back