Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After toiling in the garden for three days, and feeling as though I had wasted three gorgeous driving days, I took Billy out after supper last night. Even though I spritzed him, those darn little invisible biting bugs were a nuisance. And we had time constraint. So we did trotting most of the way. 2 miles in 20 minutes. Pepper went along; I was afraid it was too far and too fast for her, but when we got home she did her usual whizzing around.

Attachments

• bill and pepper on the road.jpg
    bill and pepper on the road.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 0
one hour ground driving Billy. He was a total idiot. I got out into the yard ground driving the cart and he starting to buck and rear. He would not straighten out and I was afraid he would tear up the cart/harness. Managed to get him undone; my husband helped me get the straps out of the way. Ground drove him out onto the road. A few cars went by and he acted as though he had never seen a car before. I did drive him before with the blinders, but this time it was as though he couldn't bear them. I also was using Midnight's bridle, which might be a little tight around the ears.
After driving a ways down the road, practicing figure 8, stopping, backing, we got home. I put his bit on Dapper Dan's bridle (made me sad to do that) and that headstall fits better. I want him to learn to drive in blinders. We ground drove all around the yard; he seemed to tolerate the blinders better.
We are supposed to do a parade next Saturday, but I am not sure he will be safe. If he is near Jackie, he might be okay.
Not a good driving day. I know blinders are supposed to be safer, but I'm not sure they are right for Billy.
Also, that clicking in his back legs seems more pronounced. I think I will take him in for xray, and see if he has a physical problem. He stood so nicely for harnessing.

Oh that's not a good day at all! I wonder what set him off? Maybe he is very particular about his harness, I tried a new harness once and Peanut acted pretty badly 2 or 3 times, I thought it was just him being naughty until he laid down! Come to find out he HATES with a passion, synthetic harnesses. He will wear his betathane headstall happily, but will not tolerate the rest of it.
Does he have stifle issues? I wonder if one stifle got "sticky" and upset him. If only they could talk,

Oh that's not a good day at all! I wonder what set him off? Maybe he is very particular about his harness, I tried a new harness once and Peanut acted pretty badly 2 or 3 times, I thought it was just him being naughty until he laid down! Come to find out he HATES with a passion, synthetic harnesses. He will wear his betathane headstall happily, but will not tolerate the rest of it.
Does he have stifle issues? I wonder if one stifle got "sticky" and upset him. If only they could talk,
I know. If only he could talk.
I do know he wasn't happy with that headstall. But as for the physical issues, I'm not sure what to think. The chiropractor saw him a couple of months ago and I asked about stifle issues, but he couldn't find anything.

After missing a couple of weeks because of work assignments, I took Phillippe out for an hour on Sunday. It was not the best drive ever, but far from the worst. I didn't check carefully to make sure the bit was over his tongue when I bridled him and it seems that he spent the whole drive with it under instead. The good news is that we still had really good WHOA, but he was a little resistant in steering and over sensitive/reactive in driving. Still more lessons to learn from him! Next weekend we have the Alberta Donkey and Mule Club show. It's nothing like the Bishop Mule Days or any of those big shows in the states, much more like a schooling show, but a great environment to take them out. Ali will take Jasmine, but I'm not sure if she'll drive her or not.

After missing a couple of weeks because of work assignments, I took Phillippe out for an hour on Sunday. It was not the best drive ever, but far from the worst. I didn't check carefully to make sure the bit was over his tongue when I bridled him and it seems that he spent the whole drive with it under instead. The good news is that we still had really good WHOA, but he was a little resistant in steering and over sensitive/reactive in driving. Still more lessons to learn from him! Next weekend we have the Alberta Donkey and Mule Club show. It's nothing like the Bishop Mule Days or any of those big shows in the states, much more like a schooling show, but a great environment to take them out. Ali will take Jasmine, but I'm not sure if she'll drive her or not.
Best of luck at the show! Phillippe is a special guy.

Billy went out today in the sulky. We got a rocky start. He is very calm until he feels something behind him. We ground drove for 1/4 mile until he settled down. We started down one of the rural roads I like to use and I saw 3 porcupines in the road ahead. I had pepper with me, and of course she ran ahead to investigate. She did pay attention when I called her, thank goodness. I thought they would all run into the ditch, and we would go calmly by. One went into the ditch, and one turned his back and raised his tail. I turned around and went back! It could have been ugly if Pepper had gotten too close. So, our drive was shortened. We only drove 30 minutes and went 1.5 miles.
One good thing--the girth went up two holes on Billy. So the corral regiment must be working.
I have an appt with a local vet next week to start him on Adequan. She wouldn't order it until she saw him in person. Kind of glad to get another vet opinion. And we will go to the elevator to weight while in town. Also may drop by the local thrift store, which is run by handicapped adults. They welcome animals, and I can see how Billy will do in that situation.
Billy grazes around the yard on his free time. I came home from our walk yesterday and he was on the porch. I think he was admiring himself in the windows.

Attachments

• billyonporch.jpg
    billyonporch.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
@Marsha Cassada well why wouldn't he be admiring himself? He's such a handsome fella! ❤️ Glad your encounter with the porcupines didn't result in injury!! They are animals to be treated with a lot of respect for sure!!

We had a busy day yesterday at the long-ears show. They run an open show along with the donkey and mule classes, so we took both our little ones out. They have in-hand, under saddle and driving classes, as well as some games at the end of the day. Ali (my daughter) won her showmanship with Jasmine out of 5 in her age division. I won my age division showmanship, with Phillippe, as well (out of 11). When it's an open class, they present a first-place ribbon to the "top long ears" of the class. We placed second in donkey and mule halter, Ali placed second with Jasmine in the junior horse halter. In ground driving, I took first of three, Ali placed second. She beat me in the pleasure driving though!!! And I was pleased to lose to her! But I won the driving pattern class, she took second.
My niece is 5 and came for her very first lead-line class. Prescious thing! Sorry (not sorry) to my sister that her youngest is becoming infected with the equestrian bug!!! Aunty will do everything she can to encourage that as well!

All in all, I think we spent about an hour each with Jasmine and Phillippe driving yesterday.

I'd also driven Phillippe on Friday for an hour and a half. We had some training responses that we needed to discuss... donkey!

Ali told me on Saturday that she wanted to try just the pleasure driving class at the show with Jasmine. But she really wanted to take my big easy entry (pony cart, not mini) and that was fine by me. If it meant that she would drive, she could use the big cart. I borrowed my friend's mini easy entry and did well regardless. Although boy my legs felt cramped!!!

I've located a beautiful K-bike with basket locally and am in the process of purchasing it. I can't wait to have two quality carts for our littles.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!! Remember, in Canada, first place ribbons are red and blue is second. I didn't keep the ribbons. I never do unless it's championship or reserve. But I sure do take pictures!!

Attachments

• Phillippe Drive Show.jpg
    Phillippe Drive Show.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe Show.jpg
    Phillippe Show.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
@Marsha Cassada well why wouldn't he be admiring himself? He's such a handsome fella! ❤️ Glad your encounter with the porcupines didn't result in injury!! They are animals to be treated with a lot of respect for sure!!

We had a busy day yesterday at the long-ears show. They run an open show along with the donkey and mule classes, so we took both our little ones out. They have in-hand, under saddle and driving classes, as well as some games at the end of the day. Ali (my daughter) won her showmanship with Jasmine out of 5 in her age division. I won my age division showmanship, with Phillippe, as well (out of 11). When it's an open class, they present a first-place ribbon to the "top long ears" of the class. We placed second in donkey and mule halter, Ali placed second with Jasmine in the junior horse halter. In ground driving, I took first of three, Ali placed second. She beat me in the pleasure driving though!!! And I was pleased to lose to her! But I won the driving pattern class, she took second.
My niece is 5 and came for her very first lead-line class. Prescious thing! Sorry (not sorry) to my sister that her youngest is becoming infected with the equestrian bug!!! Aunty will do everything she can to encourage that as well!

All in all, I think we spent about an hour each with Jasmine and Phillippe driving yesterday.

I'd also driven Phillippe on Friday for an hour and a half. We had some training responses that we needed to discuss... donkey!

Ali told me on Saturday that she wanted to try just the pleasure driving class at the show with Jasmine. But she really wanted to take my big easy entry (pony cart, not mini) and that was fine by me. If it meant that she would drive, she could use the big cart. I borrowed my friend's mini easy entry and did well regardless. Although boy my legs felt cramped!!!

I've located a beautiful K-bike with basket locally and am in the process of purchasing it. I can't wait to have two quality carts for our littles.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!! Remember, in Canada, first place ribbons are red and blue is second. I didn't keep the ribbons. I never do unless it's championship or reserve. But I sure do take pictures!!
Congratulations to you, your daughter and niece 🥰 I love the pics.
Congratulations to Phillippe and Jasmine for showing so good.

Congratulations to Jasmine and Phillippe! They are so beautifully groomed.
Oh you're so funny! I body clipped both of them. Poor Phillippe was really not confident about the clippers anywhere past his bum so he's quite patchy! The judge called my skills "artistic"... funny guy. But they're both in decent condition - Jasmine more so than Phillippe, he's still a bit overweight from where he should be, but it was just a for-fun show so I didn't worry much.

Last night Phillippe and I drove for 45 minutes, through the field and then down the road to the corner and back. Once my new bike-cart is ready, I'll get someone to go along with me to start taking the little dudes for training drives down the road. I want them to be able to trot 5 km to get ready for our first marathon CDE try out. There's some gradual hills on the road (it's gravel) that will help. And we have CLBs for both littles if they need them. We haven't really had to deal with traffic yet so that might be something interesting. I'll wait til our safety vests arrive before venturing out though. We were thinking about taking to the county about getting some horse riding signage posted.

Last night Phillippe and I drove for 45 minutes, through the field and then down the road to the corner and back. Once my new bike-cart is ready, I'll get someone to go along with me to start taking the little dudes for training drives down the road. I want them to be able to trot 5 km to get ready for our first marathon CDE try out. There's some gradual hills on the road (it's gravel) that will help. And we have CLBs for both littles if they need them. We haven't really had to deal with traffic yet so that might be something interesting. I'll wait til our safety vests arrive before venturing out though. We were thinking about taking to the county about getting some horse riding signage posted.
You two are probably traffic stoppers! I always wear my safety vest. Good to be visible.

We were 40 minutes driving today. That does not count the time we spent in the house, getting accustomed to going to the nursing home next week.
The same rocky start, as usual, but toned down a little. I only had to ground drive .2 mile before he settled down. Pepper ran around us at first barking her head off. I smacked her with the whip. Billy didn't like her running around but he handled it well. I thought about putting her up, but decided he needed to get used to her, and she needed to learn to behave.

Attachments

• billy in house.jpg
    billy in house.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 0
We were 40 minutes driving today. That does not count the time we spent in the house, getting accustomed to going to the nursing home next week.
The same rocky start, as usual, but toned down a little. I only had to ground drive .2 mile before he settled down. Pepper ran around us at first barking her head off. I smacked her with the whip. Billy didn't like her running around but he handled it well. I thought about putting her up, but decided he needed to get used to her, and she needed to learn to behave.
Oh please share pictures from your nursing home visit!!! Yes, my big easy entry has a slow-moving vehicle sign on the back of it. I'll have to get a vest or something to put on my K-cart, once it comes. Working through is all just part of the training process, isn't it? How often is ideal to be driving to train for distance? Phillippe is only coming 4 in the fall and, although I want to start training up to start CDE marathons, (5 km), I don't want to push to hard or do things in a less than ideal fashion.

I only drive leisurely and for pleasure, so I have no idea about training for distance. Billy is 18.
I get my safety vests from Gempler's. Any company that supplies tools or equipment should offer safety vests. I have an orange bag on the cart also; it has a knife, lead rope, and OFF in it. I do know that motorists are very appreciative of my being more visible.

How often is ideal to be driving to train for distance? Phillippe is only coming 4 in the fall and, although I want to start training up to start CDE marathons, (5 km), I don't want to push to hard or do things in a less than ideal fashion.
I am in the same boat with my 4 year old gelding so I have been doing some research on that exact topic. I really liked the advice of an older book that recommended doing it (either on the ground or in the cart) over a period of 8 weeks, starting with two short sessions a day, morning and evening or one longer session of one hour, mostly walking alternating with several sessions of 3-4 minutes of working trot. Then it said to increase it by 30 minutes per week, until you got to 4 hours, if anybody has that much time! And increasing the trotting until it is 50/50 with walking.

I might not exactly stick to those time frames as that is for big horses, but I like the general idea to build up stamina.

Out with Phillippe for 45 minutes last night. Rotten donkey has learned how to roll himself out from under the fence in the mini dry pen. Now he'll get into the mare pasture and they don't tolerate him like when the geldings were in there. So he's relocated to the isolation pen and he's bitter about it! I can't have my ass wandering around though, and he was off property one morning and scared the bejesus out of my poor mom.
We were down the road to the neighbor's and back twice. Had a car pass us (very carefully!) for the first tiem and he did great! I thought my cart shafts sounded a little extra noisy in the trot yesterday. Couldn't quiet them with my body position either. Got off at the end of our ride and found that the nut had come off one of the bolts that holds the shafts to the front of the cart!!! 😧 Thank goodness nothing serious happened. Good donkey!

Latest posts

Back