Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one hour and ten minutes. Billy was rather a handful at first; decided not to take Pepper along since she is technically an invalid. He stood so nicely for harnessing, and then got all "het up". A little rearing and sidling before we could get started. He hasn't been out in quite a while, so there is some excuse. He didn't have a tantrum to go back to Dapper Dan and he was perfectly fine when vehicles came front and behind. But he was wound up and raring to go. We did the two mile loop and I picked up Pepper, then we went another half mile. He did come down to a walk when I asked, but my toes were a little curled up a few times. He is a good boy, though. My fault for indifferent training.

We've had a great week! on Wednesday March 15, I took Jasmine out for 30 minutes.

Then I took Phillippe out on Saturday March 18 for 45 minutes and again on Sunday March 19 for 30 minutes. I got one of his new bits and boy does it ever make a difference. He's currently feeling a little insecure about not knowing for sure when I'm going to ask him to walk on from a halt so he's being a little dancy in the halt. But he's not bullying me like he had been. Just like he doesn't want to miss the cue and get a tap on the bum! Just something that will come with time and miles. It was above freezing with beautiful sunshine all weekend. Not long now and I won't have any snow out on the field to be tobogganing with. Going to have to fill up the tires on the cart and change up my vehicles. Next year I really want to put skis on it! What a riot it will be!

Attachments

• Phillippe 4.jpg
    Phillippe 4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
We've had a great week! on Wednesday March 15, I took Jasmine out for 30 minutes.

Then I took Phillippe out on Saturday March 18 for 45 minutes and again on Sunday March 19 for 30 minutes. I got one of his new bits and boy does it ever make a difference. He's currently feeling a little insecure about not knowing for sure when I'm going to ask him to walk on from a halt so he's being a little dancy in the halt. But he's not bullying me like he had been. Just like he doesn't want to miss the cue and get a tap on the bum! Just something that will come with time and miles. It was above freezing with beautiful sunshine all weekend. Not long now and I won't have any snow out on the field to be tobogganing with. Going to have to fill up the tires on the cart and change up my vehicles. Next year I really want to put skis on it! What a riot it will be!
Nice picture. That has to be fun. I hope it warms up soon for you. Skis, I can't wait to see that :)

Took Dapper Dan in the sulky today. Almost too warm for his furry body. I let Pepper go along, just to see how she would do. We stuck to the unpaved road. Stopped to visit with a neighbor who trains Brittany Spaniel hunting dogs. Pepper got acquainted with an older, less boisterous spaniel. An unexpected building up in weather with chill winds and no sun came up so we headed for home instead of doing our route. Dapper Dan cantered/galloped nearly all the way home. We felt a couple of raindrops. I clocked him 11+ mph. We were both anxious to get home. Pepper stayed close by the whole way.
I have not had Dapper Dan out much this winter and he was very unresponsive to rein cues. He is a hard headed little beast and I've been lenient with him as he is almost 27. But he may need to be re-educated in a few things.

That sounds like a good drive for everyone with an exciting dash home, plus kudos to Pepper for staying close and being neighborly!

I think you were a brave driver to canter/gallop - my preferred speed is slow and boring. 😂 Then again it’s been so long since my DD has been hitched, I barely remember!

Went to try out a different type of cart Sunday evening with Phillippe. This gentleman designed K-bikes, I understand. Anyways, I'm really interested in another of his designs that are available up here in Canada. Now that he's not fabricating anymore, I understand they're only available in the states!!

Phillippe and I had a solid 45 minutes of ground driving and driving put to. Changing out his bit has made a huge difference and I'm really enjoying him. Walk, trot and canter were all solid and very comfortable. Also, if you have the opportunity to get a K-bike, I think you should!!!

This is my friend Melissa taking the reins. She's FAR MORE experienced and skilled than I in all things long ears and driving. It was such a pleasure to have her praise on my work with his tinyness.

Attachments

• Phillippe Drive.jpg
    Phillippe Drive.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Went to try out a different type of cart Sunday evening with Phillippe. This gentleman designed K-bikes, I understand. Anyways, I'm really interested in another of his designs that are available up here in Canada. Now that he's not fabricating anymore, I understand they're only available in the states!!

Phillippe and I had a solid 45 minutes of ground driving and driving put to. Changing out his bit has made a huge difference and I'm really enjoying him. Walk, trot and canter were all solid and very comfortable. Also, if you have the opportunity to get a K-bike, I think you should!!!

This is my friend Melissa taking the reins. She's FAR MORE experienced and skilled than I in all things long ears and driving. It was such a pleasure to have her praise on my work with his tinyness.
That looks like a very comfortable cart. Phillippe looks fantastic. Hurray for praise!

I ground drove Billy today for about an hour. He always seems to have a little flare about 15 minutes in. But corrects easily so we move on. Since I was on foot, we only trotted a little --I had him zigzag so I could keep up a little better. We worked on whoa and stand a little. Mostly it was just a outing to take his mind off missing Dapper Dan. My husband even noticed Billy seemed a little depressed.
Pepper went along and she is doing really good on walks now. Ranging around us, running ahead, then coming back. She wants to give Billy kisses like she did Dapper Dan, but Billy is annoyed by her. I had to be really stern with her to leave him alone.
Beautiful day to be out and about with my animals.

I drove Jasmine for about 30 minutes on Friday. The field is mostly clear, except for some lingering snow around the perimeter, and a few puddles in the low spots. I learned that she has a significant preference to canter on her left lead. Took some work and several circles but we managed to find the right lead too.
Phillippe and I broke his bit (the shank bent) so we're out of driving until his replacement arrives. Very disappointed, but I bought that bit second hand off e-bay. It's not safe to use, it's in the garbage.

Phillippe looks so good. I'm glad you had a good day.:)

Jasmine and I worked in the arena for 45 minutes yesterday. We worked on technical steering - not something I've had the opportunity to work on with her yet - the arena has been under snow! It's incredible how rough it felt in there, but pony was game and I'm so thrilled with how malleable she is! After I drove, my mom and a friend of ours took her around a lap too. It's so fun to share and Jasmine is always just game to work.

Attachments

• Jasmine Areana Drive.jpg
    Jasmine Areana Drive.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Hey everyone! I just switched over to a new computer so I'm getting our spreadsheet all caught up.

Wow... I started this response two days ago and am just getting back to it. We're building a new house on our acreage finally but hopefully that'll mean more driving since I'll finally have my horses and carts all in one place and on the same property I'm living on.

Drive on!

Yay!!! Like BIG yay!!! I finally have a good bit! It's a mini (4.25") liverpool that looked like just a straight mullen mouth in the picture but actually is a low arch. I tried it on Mr. Bo-donkey Tuesday evening in my arena and we did AWESOME!!! We had just ONE little moment of "I cannot possibly turn right AGAIN.... what are you thinking?!!" when we were working on weaving through pilons on centreline. Other then that, we had steering, Phillippe did serpentines at the trot, weave lines, worked through pilons, arena maneuvers AAAAND we had HALT!!! Halt and then a loose rein. He did not bully me or pull me even a single time and I got to be very kind on his mouth with my hands. That part made me feel really good. I hate when I need to be firm on that boundary.
I've tried to do a video attachment that I took, but I'm afraid I can't get the video into my email (22 seconds is too long...) so I decided to upload a youtube short - and now it's lost. So I'm afraid you're just going to have to imagine the cuteness....

In total, we drove 45 minutes on Tuesday evening. And had a blast!! ❤️

Wait, did it work??

Last edited:
A slight arch seems to be very comfortable, maybe better than a straight bit. Glad you got a good fit at last for that nice boy.
Billy and I went 1:15 today. We went along a pasture line over some pretty rough terrain, down and through a weedy ditch. He did just fine. We practiced Stand a little--he needs work on that.
Pepper went along. She rode in the cart some and went beside some. We went about 3 miles. Little breeze, but that was good for bugs.
Billy is so much better without a pasture mate to make him attached. Maybe he is one of those guys that needs to be an "only".
Going tomorrow to look at miniature cows. Just checking things out for now.

Latest posts

Back